Skip to main content

Backups always running

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 17

I have four HD paritions that I backup on to an external drive. Each month I setup a new set of backups. The backups are set to run at night and by morning they are all done.

This all worked fine last year. When I created the new backups for January, they can't finish in a 24 hour period. By the time one finishes it is time to run another so that there is always a backup running.

I ran a scan on my hard drives but no errors were found. I formatted by external drive and setup new backups but the same thing happens.

The only things i can think of that might be causing this is that my external drive is going bad or my version of Acronis no longer works correctly for some reason. The latter seems unlikely but everything was working in December but not in January.

Has anyone seen this problem? Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Using TI 2015

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17565

More information is needed to understand what is happening here?

Please use the MVP Log Viewer tool (link in my signature) and capture some of the backup logs for your long running tasks, then zip these and add to this forum topic using the File upload option below the comment entry box.

Forum Member

The logs are attached. The way I'm reading them is that the file with 1-8 in the name shows that it created the backup successfully, though it took 23 hours. But the one for today, 1-9, says that file can't be found. And when I look at the disk, the file is not there. If I'm reading those correctly, and I may not be, does that indicate a problem with the drive? I just tried copying a file to it manually and it worked, if that helps.

Attachment Size
485394-162566.zip 2.98 KB
Legend

Thank you for the log files.

Focusing on the 1-8 long running task, the log shows the following:

id=40;  date/time=1/8/2019 2:06:41 PM;  message=Create Backup Archive From: C:\  To file: (1)2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib Compression: Normal  
id=41;  date/time=1/8/2019 2:06:57 PM;  message=Writing full version to file: (1)2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib
id=42;  date/time=1/8/2019 7:13:48 PM;  message=Priority changed to High.
id=43;  date/time=1/9/2019 1:57:12 AM;  message=The following backups have been successfully created: K:\2019_January\FULL_C\(1)2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib

The above shows that the actual backup task completed after around 12 hours.
The next lines show that you are then running a validation of the backup which is then taking nearly another 12 hours to complete.

id=44;  date/time=1/9/2019 1:57:21 AM;  message=Validate Backup Archive Location: K:\2019_January\FULL_C\(1)2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib 

id=51;  date/time=1/9/2019 1:32:57 PM;  message=Operation has succeeded.

You may want to consider not doing the backup and validation at the same time.

Looking at the 1-9 log information, there is a crucial difference in the file name not found:

The specified file does not exist: K:\2019_January\FULL_C\2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib where this is not the same as the file created in the 1-8 log which was (1)2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib - the file has the extra (1) prefix to the name because you have cloned the task settings but not renamed the task after doing so.

Forum Member

I removed all backups, both in Acronis and on disk. I then set up the four backups and ran them. The c-drive took 12 hours. That's much longer than last year but maybe I just didn't notice it. But the log shows errors in it, as shown in the attached 1_10 file. In the 1_11 file, which is just an incremental backup, it only took 23 minutes but the log still shows errors.

Do those errors mean there is a problem with the backup?

The backup for the I drive took about the same time for the two backups (12 hours and 20 minutes) but they don't have errors.

Something that may be related is if I open a backup to restore a file. When I click on a backup, doesn't matter which one, it takes a good 5-10 minutes for the files to be listed. If I change the date for the backup, it takes another 5-10 minutes. This is with only the main backup file and one incremental file.

Attachment Size
485947-162812.zip 2.86 KB
Legend

The log files show that there was a problem with 2 specific sets of files in the backups:

id=44;  date/time=1/10/2019 12:41:24 PM; 
message=Link target was not backed up.; 
Error_Code= Link target was not backed up.
Path C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files
id=45;  date/time=1/10/2019 12:41:24 PM; 
message=Link target was not backed up.; 
Error_Code= Link target was not backed up.
Path C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files
id=46;  date/time=1/10/2019 12:43:27 PM; 
message=The following backups have been successfully created:
K:\2019_January\FULL_C\2019_January_C_full_b1_s1_v1.tib

ATI normally excludes Temporary Internet Files by default in the Exclusions tab for backup tasks so would recommend using that default exclusion.  It is likely that there may be something within that Temporary Internet Files location which references an external link or resource which cannot be backed up.

The time taken to open / browse backup image .tib files is often related to the number of files & folders and degree of folder nesting levels etc.

Forum Member

Thank you for all of your help. I do have the default exclusions set and internet files are listed in them. I'll clear all of those files and see what happens. But it sounds like my original problem has been handled and I'm all set. Thanks again. :)