Skip to main content

Can I restore C drive like Windows restore?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

For a couple of years I have been allowing Acronis to make a backup image of my C Drive (on another drive in my computer).

It does it every friday (i think)...I assumed this would be a way to restore my C drive to an earlier configuration similar to how Windows restore works...correct?

Yesterday I had a video related crash in my system...I had to remove my video card because all I get now is a black screen with an error message ("D-SUB Out of range 193khz/53hz").

Windows runs in the background, but all I can see is the black screen with the error message. Even in safe mode. So I can't make changes, check settings, update software, etc

My system is currently running using the motherboard/onboard graphics, but I had to go through all kinds of windows updates and fixes...seems like many files were corrupted in the crash.  Even after getting everything working again, the video card still won't work (once I reinstall it, I can't see anything. That black screen and Out of range issue reappears.)

I don't know how to determine if its a failed video card or corrupted files on the PC, or some sort of other hardware or software failure. I wish I could roll the system back to the last working configuration.

So...since I don't use Windows restore points, I thought about the C backups that I create every week. isn't that what they're for?

The last backup was Nov 23...before the big video crash...before things all went to pot.

Is it possible to use the backup like a system restore and how exactly do I do that?

I apologize for my ignorance. I find much of the jargon within the software confusing as to exactly what is happening or what will happen when I choose various options. Seriously, I think its all an alien language! lol

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16422

You can or should be able to recover your C: OS drive from your Acronis backup images but to do so you should create and use the Acronis bootable Rescue Media to boot your computer and perform the restore.

To create the Acronis Rescue Media see KB 48338: Acronis True Image 2015: Creating Acronis Bootable Media

Next, you need to know how your Windows 7 system boots, whether this is a Legacy / MBR boot system, or whether it is a UEFI / GPT system.  You need to boot the Rescue Media in the same way.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media for more information on the above.

Once you know how to boot the Rescue Media, the next step is to test doing so, and to check that you can see the location where your backup images are stored on your second drive in the computer.

See KB 57982: Acronis True Image 2016: Restoring to a Drive with a Single Partition - and also the ATI 2015 User Guide: Recovering disks and partitions for more information.