Skip to main content

Can't Recover From Backup

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 20

I have a backup of a Windows 7 system whose disk is formatted as MBR. When I install a new SSD to replace it, also formatted as MBR, and do a recovery of all of the previous partitions onto it, Acronis is changing the disk format to GPT for some reason. I believe because of that I can't get it to boot. I get "No operating system found", even though I'm even pointing to the drive directly in the boot sequence. One curious point is that if I include a Windows 7 install disk, and don't do actually use it (meaning I don't reply to the "press any key to use the CD" deal), the recovered new SSD will boot just fine. Does anyone have any idea why the restore is converting the MBR formatted SSD to a GPT formatted one? Have do I get my system to boot properly as it should?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16748

Joel, the main reason why Acronis will convert a MBR backup image to be GPT is if you are booting the Rescue Media in UEFI mode instead of using a MBR / Legacy BIOS boot mode.

When you are selecting the Acronis Rescue Media in the boot device selection menu, you need to select the entry that does not show with UEFI in the name.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Forum Member
Comments: 20

Steve: Thanks. You were correct. I had to selectively choose the DVD drive in Legacy mode in the boot up and that worked. Thanks again. - Joel

Legend
Comments: 16748

Joel, great to hear that the advice worked, thanks for giving feedback.