Skip to main content

Cloned to a larger SSD, but File Manager says new drive is same size as old HHD

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 1

I am cloning a Seagate 500Gb HHD drive located in a Dell OptiPlex 3040 to a new Crucial 1 Tb MX500 using the automatic settings.  I intend the Crucial SSD to be the new C: drive and the old smaller Seagate HHD as a D: drive for additional storage. The Dell has been legally upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the dual license that came with the PC.  I am using the software provided by Crucial (Acronis 2015).  The cloning appears successful, but when I restart the PC and use either File Manager or Device Manager, the C: Drive Properties show the new drive to be the same size as the original Seagate.  Why didn't the Crucial SSD partition expand proportionally to the new drive's 1 Tb size? If I am missing a setting, please advise what it is.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 22461

Philip, welcome to these public User Forums.

This is a common issue than can be caused by the source drive having other partitions following after the main C: OS partition and which prevent ATI from resizing all the partitions automatically.

The simplest way to resolve this, assuming that all is working correctly apart from the size issue, is to download a copy of the free MiniTool Partition Wizard software and use this to move any partitions shown after the OS one, to the end of any unallocated space on the drive, then resize the OS partition to use the extra space.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Mr. Smith, Thanks for responding so promptly to my question.  I took your suggestion and downloaded MiniTool Partion Wizard, but I could not locate the instructions for moving partitions.  Before incorrectly using that software, I tried one more thing.  I swapped the SATA cables on the motherboard so the new SSD was now connected to the motherboard via the SATA0 connector and the old HHD was now connected to the motherboard via the SATA2 connector.  After reboot, the new SSD now shows as C: with the full 1TB of the disk being recognized.  The old HHD  shows as both E: and F: drives in separate partitions.  So, I can now reformat the old HHD and use it for storage.  Thanks again

Legend
Comments: 22461

Philip, glad that you have found a solution for this issue. It is recommended to have the main OS boot drive connected to the SATA0 port on the motherboard, so probably a good thing that you have made this change.