Skip to main content

Cloning laptop hard disk to SSD

Beginner
Comments: 1

I have a simple question about the cloning procedure for cloning my laptops hard disk to an SSD.

I have created a Acronis Trueimage bootable media DVD, and I was able to load it for a simple test.  I think it is working properly, but it only showed the Acronis loading message to first time I tried it.  Now the DVD does not show that Acronis message, but does eventually go to my Windows 10 logon screen.  I guess I must revisit the BIOS settings during the cloning process.

I think I undestand that I must remove the laptop hard disk and install the SSD, and then hook up the original hard disk via my USB/SATA cables.  I would then load from the DVD to get to the Acronis Trueimage cloning procedures, which if all goes well, will recognize this cloning configuration and take over and start the cloning process...with my assistance where necessary, of course.  Do I have this correct?

Forum Star
Comments: 1414

Evan, you are correct.

However, you may not need to go into BIOS when you install the new SSD.  Since it won't boot, the BIOS may then default to the DVD.  

If you have the ability to backup your HDD to another USB drive, that is always a good idea, just in case something goes wrong with the clone.

If you  have problems, let us know.

FtrPilot

Beginner

I have also problem cloning HD to SSD , HD is 500G (150G written), SSD 240G -crucıal bx-200 (via USB 3.0) , in automatic mode after bios restart within 10 hours data ,transfer did not start it is normal ??

Beginner

I should have replied much sooner to your post.  Thanks for confirminig that I was on the right track.

I have, in fact, successfully cloned my HDD to a SSD, and I am very satisfied with the way things went.

The performance of my laptop is much improved, and that is what I was shooting for.  Even though I ended

up downsizing from the original laptop HDD of 500 GB to an SSD of only 240 GB, the very noticeable

improvement in performance makes me a lot happier.  The most trouble I had was the very difficult process

of opening my laptop to get to the HDD.  Everything went smoothly after that.  Fortunately I had an SATA/USB

cable on had, since I had done this same thing for another laptop of mine that was really dragging.  It was a very

old HP2000 laptop and since replacing the HDD with a Samsung SSD, I am happy to keep using it where it is most

useful.  Samsungs included software for cloning was much easier to use, but it would only work with the Samsung SSD.

Thanks to everyone for their help and concern.

Beginner
Comments: 5

Running Acronis TI 2016. Following instructions from Acronis. Removed 1 TB HDD from HP Envy TS 15. Installed Crucial 1 TB SSD. Connected removed HDD to laptop using Cables To Go SATA USB cable. Booted laptop from Acronis 2016 created bootable media. Selected Clone operation. New SSD drive shows up along with old HDD connected as USB drive. However, HDD drive is grayed out and commented as "Unsupported". HDD cannot be selected as Source Drive.

The old HDD works fine in the laptop. I can hear it spin up when connected by the SATA-USB cable. I have taken everything apart and put together several times. I have rebooted and tried multiple times with same result. Advice to solve this problem would be appreciated.

Legend
Comments: 14520

Harry, please see KB document: 56634: Acronis True Image 2016: Cloning Disks and follow the guide there for cloning your disk drive - the key points in doing this are as follows:

1. Do not attempt to clone from within Windows! Always use the Acronis bootable Rescue Media to do this. This can be created on DVD or USB stick, plus can be made either with the standard, linux based OS media, or with Windows PE media. Using a USB stick is the recommended method but do not use a USB stick larger than 32GB in size - an old 1GB stick will do fine!

2. Remove the source drive from your computer and replace it with the new target drive that you want to clone to.

3. Connect the removed source drive via USB or in a second drive position.

4. Boot the Rescue Media in the same mode as your Windows OS boots, i.e. if Windows boots in UEFI mode then the Rescue media must be booted the same, other if Legacy then that mode.
    See webpage: Check if your PC uses UEFI or BIOS to check which way your OS boots.

5. Once the Rescue Media has booted, check that you can see both your source (now second/external drive) and your target (now internal drive) and Acronis will allow you to select these. If all is OK, then go ahead and perform the clone operation.

Note: I would recommend making a full disk backup of your current source disk drive to an external backup drive before embarking on the above, to give you a recovery option if anything goes wrong, i.e. incorrect drive selection!

Note 2: Cloning can only work with whole disks, you cannot clone selected partitions from a drive!

Beginner
Comments: 5

Thank you for the response. As in my post, I followed the procedure exactly through Step 5. However, when I got to Step 5, when I tried to choose the Source Disk, the HDD connected by a SATA-USB cable was grayed out with a notation of "Unsupported". I can't get past this step because I cannot connect to the source disk. Acronis did NOT allow me to select the source disk. I will appreciate your thoughts on this particular issue.

Legend
Comments: 14520

Harry, did you check per KB document: 56634: Acronis True Image 2016: Cloning Disks that your disk sector sizes are the same to permit cloning to be done?

Open a command prompt and run msinfo32 which will product a System Information report, expand Storage, then Disks and check what the sector sizes are for the source and target drives.

If one is 512 and the other is 4096 then you cannot use cloing, you will need to do a Backup and Restore instead.