Skip to main content

Error occurred while reading the file

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I am having trouble with Acronis True Image 2015, an issue that is new to me this year and I am hoping someone might have some guidance or tips to help me out.

Let me give a little back story first to hopefully help identify the issue. I walked into a role a few years ago at a small school district that uses Acronis TI 2015 for making and deploying images to client computers all around the school. With less than 300 PCs in the whole school, we would always burn the TI .iso onto a disc and then go to computers to boot into the Acronis Loader and then deploy images from a file share in the "Computers Near Me" tab. I had no troubles last summer, but towards the end of summer, we upgraded our server and now I am unable to recover any images I make. I can backup fine, but when I go to recover on another PC, I get the message "Error occurred while reading the file. A possible reason may be poor media quality."

I even tried deploying an old image from last year that had worked then and got the same error. It is instantaneous. I'm thinking there is something messed up on the file share/server that is causing this, but as a rookie, I honestly have no idea where to even begin. I should note: I know the .tib files are fine because I can throw them on an external drive with no issues. It's just when I try to recover an image that is stored in a folder on our file server that is causing this message. I just made all of my images last week and had no trouble backing them up with TI 2015 but now am only getting the message when trying to recover. Here are the event codes I am getting: 0x00040001 +0x00040001 +0x0000FFF1 +0x00000005

Any help or ideas of things to try in TI or the server side would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16380

Joe, welcome to these public User Forums.

If you are deploying system images to a large number (circa 300) PC's in a commercial environment, then you should be considering one of the Acronis Business products such as Snap Deploy or Acronis Backup which are better suited to such purposes.

ATI 2015 is intended as a home user product and is licensed for a maximum of 5 computers, plus it is also an obsolete product with no direct support from Acronis.  The current supported version of ATI is 2019 but the next version (2020) is expected to start Beta testing this month for release later in the summer / early autumn.

To the issue you have raised. 

Are you creating the new backup images using the same bootable media or are they being created from the ATI 2015 application running in Windows?

I suspect that you may be doing the latter where Windows is handling the transport between the computer and your server.

It is possible that your server has dropped support for SMB 1.0 since the upgrade but that your older boot media is wanting to use that version of the protocol.   This has happened because Microsoft have dropped SMB 1.0 from it latest Windows product versions due to its inherent insecurity and vulnerabilities.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice! I threw the images on an old Windows 7 workstation to use as a temporary file server for this summer imaging and it worked like a charm. We will definitely be looking into switching to one of the updated Acronis Business products going forward after this summer. Thanks for your help!

Legend
Comments: 16380

Joe, thanks for the update - good to hear that you can access the images on your old Win 7 PC, which probably confirms this is SMB 1.0 related.