Skip to main content

How To Stamp Date & Time in Backup File Name

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I am pretty basic user of ATI. Have upgraded to 2015. After reading some of the comments about poor performance and stripped features, I'm almost hesitant to ask the question. But, in prior versions of ATI, when you named the backup file, you could also select to date and/or time stamp the file name. The program inserted something like "@date@" or "@time@", I think. I can't seem to find a way to insert the date & time stamps in 2015. Just typing the file name with "@date@" doesn't do it. The file name comes out literally with those characters instead of the date. Can it be done in 2015?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 11125

NO. the macro's (@date@ , @timwe@ etc) from past versions not usable on 2015.
Unfortunately, the name on the tib file will be the same name as your task name.
You can edit the task name and future tib name (for that task) will be whatever you change the new task name to be.

Edit/update: also see this link.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/73586#comment-244088

S22
Regular Poster
Comments: 110

Hi

somehow ATI2015 must be able to handle stamp Time....
All ATI2014 importet backups, that had stamps, work propper in ATI2105.

S22

Beginner

Re: S22 comment, I noticed that also. Some old backup schemes from 2014, that I still had after upgrade did stamp date & time. So the function is there, someplace. But, I can't seem to find any way to do it, anew, in 2015.

Beginner

I did a little digging on this because the lack of a date/time stamp in the file name bothered me too. A defined backup has a script that is stored in C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts. Each is uniquely named so you will have to browse the file to determine which one matches your backup.

The definition contains a line something like this:
"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@.tib" volume_id="0" /"

I changed it to:
"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@_@date@_@exec@.tib" volume_id="0" /"

and now get the file name with the date and execution version number.

Hope this helps.

Legend

TomB,
Your innotative suggestion works very well. Thank you for finding a workaround for the date macro. (Do I khow you from the old forum??)

"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@BU-@exec@_@date@.tib" volume_id="0" /"

Macros which can be added to the .tis script by the user in a NOTEPAD edit:

_@DATE@            date

_@TIME@            time

_@USER@           USER NAME

_@MACHINE@     MACHINE NAME

_@EXEC@           TASK RUN NUMBER

My Results

Red=original basic script

Blue= macros added by user.

Backup Task name is
ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU (script @task@)

After modifying(using Notepad) the appropriate backup script stored in folder
C:\PROGRAMDATA\ACRONIS\TRUEIMAGEHOME\SCRIPTS

"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@BU-@exec@_@date@.tib" volume_id="0" /"
Notepad can be used as the text editor and a notepad search for the word task can help to get you to the right starting place. the correct script will probably be the most recently date/time script. The results is below which illustrates the date as part of the tib file name:

-------------------------------------blue=user added macro

ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU-1_2015-01-18_FULL_B1_S1_V1.TIB     Created Jan 18
ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU-2_2015-01-19_DIFF_B1_S2_V1.TIB     Created Jan 19
ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU-3_2015-01-20_DIFF_B1_S3_V1.TIB     Created Jan 20
ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU-4_2015-01-21_DIFF_B1_S4_V1.TIB     Created Jan 21
ENTIRE PC (GROVERS-COMPAQ)BU-5_2015-01-22_DIFF_B1_S5_V1.TIB     Created Jan 22

Forum Hero
Comments: 8178

Very nice TomB! Hats off to ya!

Beginner

Nice find!

Acronis: why not let the user set it through Advanced options of sorts? Not all of us are noobs needing our hands held and options removed lest we confuse ourselves to death.

Beginner
Comments: 19

This just made things a lot nicer!

I'm not sure why, though, when you open up a .tib file and the versions that are listed are by default sorted by name - why they are out of order. I was hoping this little trick would fix this but doesn't. Still makes things a lot better elsewhere in windows explorer setting up the scripts this way!

I used:
@task@-@date@_@time@_BU-@exec@.tib

Attachment Size
249014-118249.png 137.79 KB
Legend

The user has control over which columns appear in the display. Right click on the any of the column header names and you will see a listing of column names. You can check or uncheck the column names to make those names appear or not to appear.
Once in the display, any of the column name can be clicked once or twice to toggle the column sequence.

Your best choice of sequencing is probably to have the header "date modified" appear in your display and to click or double click the "date modified" header to get the sort order you wish.

Answering your question, the "name" header is sorted (user controlled) first up/down by clicking or double clicking;
and then the file name is sorted left to right by indiviidual character. Use of the timer or name sort will not get you what you want. Try the "date modified" sort.

User also has control over where the columns appear (left to right). Use the mouse pointer and grab hold of the column" type" and drag the entire type column to the right by two additional columns so the the type column is to the extreme right. Or, when right clicking and viewing the entire listing of possible column headers, you have the option of moviing specific columns up (left) or down (right) in their placement.

Each backup task should point to its own individual storage sub-folder so their is no mixing of different backup tasks backup files.

Beginner
Comments: 14

Grover,

I'm trying this method of uniquely identifying backups. I'm wondering if it will work when a sequence has begun with a different set of names as below. Or is it best to adjust the script after the initial archive?

I noticed in the script the following lines:

Would there have been a glitch to make the sequences (a) double up and (b) miss number 6?

Legend

Ryan,
Regarding the sort order post #8, try changing the folder sort order. Cllick the column datetime header by clicking. Each click will reverse the sort order
Experiment by clicking both the name column header as well as the date column header.
Possibly even RIGHT CLICK on the date column header and add more date type columns and see if one such as modified might get you what you want.

Stephen,
Not sure how how the number series will start when begun on an already existing task.
starting the modifiction when the task is new is best.
Show me a picture of the glitch.

S22
Regular Poster
Comments: 110

TomB wrote:

I did a little digging on this because the lack of a date/time stamp in the file name bothered me too. A defined backup has a script that is stored in C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts. Each is uniquely named so you will have to browse the file to determine which one matches your backup.

The definition contains a line something like this:
"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@.tib" volume_id="0" /"

I changed it to:
"volume_location datacenter_id="0" uri="D:\Backups\Acronis Images\@task@_@date@_@exec@.tib" volume_id="0" /"

and now get the file name with the date and execution version number.

Hope this helps.

Really great work.... didnt notice that you found a work around..... just struggeling if this will be enough improvement to finnaly upgrade to ATI2015..... actually Acronis should pay you a coin if i do so...

S22

Regular Poster
Comments: 146

When looking in the scripts folder I dont have a line like this:

see attached screenshot - Any advice on how to add date

Attachment Size
301044-122752.jpg 112.37 KB
Legend

This link is more up to date.

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/91956

In the scripts folder, double click on the script file and it will open in notepad.
use the Notepad search function and search for @task@
as per link illustration.

You need toe examine the contents of each script to determine which script is the backup script.
The task name should appear in near top left corner but you will need to look for it.

Regular Poster
Comments: 146

Thanks.
Should there be an underscore_ before D@DATE@ and should capital letters be used as per your instructions - most of the text in the script is lowercase
Thanks

Legend

I believe either upper case or lower case will work.

The required is a beginning and ending @
@DATE@

I felt some clarity needed so I used the underscore as a separator but this is optional.
The dash or equal sign are also optional usage.
The period cannot be used.
Optionally, you can also use words/names, etc.

For testing, it is really quick and easy to create a test task which backs up one single small text file and using the
"Back up now" consumes only a few seconds to see an exact sample of what you are configuring to be added.

Beginner

I have noticed the systematic feature strip over the years. I have been using ATI since 2010. I will be going to another vendor in 2016. Running ATI 2014 and will not spend money on ATI 2015. They wanted me to buy a "support" contract to answer a simple question. BYE-BYE!

Beginner
Comments: 5

Hey Gang. Does anyone know if it is possible to do the script editing trick for Acronis 2020?
There are no occurrences of "@task@" in my Acronis 2020 script when i do a search...just the name of the Archive itself "(C) Windows_10.tibx"

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated!
Thx!

Attachment Size
536055-182311.png 101.07 KB
Legend
Comments: 22461

Sorry but not possible to do this with ATI 2020 due to issues it would create with the new .tibx file format and the dependencies these now have.

See forum topic: Full Backups no independent entity which has a discussion related to this where I have written a Powershell script which would rename backup files after they are created and moving them to a different folder to keep them fully independent.

Forum Star
Comments: 3911

Hi Steve, that is what I expected; said much the same thing in the same topic in ATI 2020 forum.

Ian