Skip to main content

How To Validate An Old Backup File?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 14

I need to restore my Windows 7 Operating system to the state it was in a year ago. I have TI 2015 and a 450 GB tib file I made a year ago.  It seems like validation is not working.  I have done the following:

1. right click on the tib file. A dropdown menu appears.

2. I click on "True Image" in the dropdown menu.

3. A side menu opens up with three items. "Validate" is in the side menu with a green check mark next to it.

4.  When I click on validate the Windows 7 little green circle appears for less than a second and then disappears. No confirmation mesage and no error message. It appears that nothing happened.

How do I validate this file?

Thank you,

Ron

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 17944

Ron, more questions than answers at this time.

Are you running from an Administrator account when you try to validate the .tib file?

Was the backup created by the same version of ATI (2015?) being used now?

450GB file size sounds like a lot more than just your Windows 7 OS - was this backup file of more than one disk drive?

Are you able to run validation for any other backup .tib files you may have?

Is ATI 2015 working correctly for other activities such as creating backups?

Beginner

Are you running from an Administrator account when you try to validate the .tib file? Yes,

Was the backup created by the same version of ATI (2015?) being used now? Yes.

450GB file size sounds like a lot more than just your Windows 7 OS - was this backup file of more than one disk drive?

No. It is a backup of a 2TB Raid 1 drive partitioned into two 1 TB mirror image drives.  All my backups of the Raid 1 drive are bewtween 400-500GB.

Are you able to run validation for any other backup .tib files you may have?  Validation works whenever I make an initial backup. But I can't validate after I make a backup. I am running TI 2015 on 3 computers. So the problem is that I don't know how to do the validation independently of the backup process. I am apparently doing something wrong. Please explain step by step, preferably with screen shots, how to validate an existing tib file.  

Is ATI 2015 working correctly for other activities such as creating backups? Yes, I am able to create backups. I just want to validate an old backup before I attempt to restore my system.

Beginner

To add to my last comment - The target drive is a 1 TB hard drive that is about 90% full. The HD includes 10 virtual machines. So that is probably why the fulkl system backup is large.

The full system backup is of the primary 1 TB HD.. The mirror 1 TB Raid 1 drive is not included in the backup operation.

I have never validated a tib file excdept during a backup operation. And thank-you Steve for your prompt response and any assistance you can offer.

Legend

Ron, see the ATI 2015 user guide section on Validating backups

If validation is not working in Windows then you can try booting from your Acronis rescue media to do the validation in that way (as described above).

The alternative here is to try doing a Repair Install of ATI 2015 to see if this fixes the Windows shell integration that provides the validation option for .tib files.

See KB 60915: Acronis True Image: repairing program settings

and KB 60195: Acronis True Image: repair, update and clean installations on Windows

Beginner

Thanks again, Steve,

I reviewed the instructions in the User Guide.

I just ran validation in TI 2015. After 2 or 3 seconds it completed and said my file was valid.  When I validate at the end of a backup operation it takes 45 minutes to a few hours to validate the 450 GB tib file.  Can I trust this validation?  It doesn't seem possible that it would only take 2-3 seconds to check the file when it takes about an hour or two after I backup.

My second question is must I validate each update to an incremental backup separately?  Is there  a way to validate the entire backup chain in one operation?

Thanks again for your prompt reponses,

Ron

Legend

Ron, sorry but 2-3 seconds for validation isn't realistic, especially if the size is 450GB, so would not trust such results.

If you validate an incremental backup chain then the whole chain should be validated without the need to select each individual file.

The process of validation requires that the file contents be read and a series of checksums recalculated and compared to the checksum values embedded throughout the file - that process will take time to complete equivalent to the time taken to create the file by the backup process.

Beginner

Thanks, Steve,

I am puzzled by the validation. I am following the instructions in the documentation and I am logged on as an administrator.  When I click on "Validate" the blue circle appears, the dots move across the Acronis console for a few seconds and then the green validation checkmark appears.  I also tried to validate 6 other tib files. Four got checkmarks and two got red "x"s" and there were no error messages.

Is there a way to validate from the Acronis boot disk?

Legend

Ron, you can validate from the Acronis rescue media after booting into the offline / standalone ATI application. The option isn't very obvious as is embedded in the Recovey process for when you select an existing .tib file then open the right-click menu for the file.

The above image is from an older system but shows where the Validate Archive option is found!

Beginner

Thanks, Steve,

I think I have the validation function working now. It is running like it does when I validate at the end of a backup.  It seems my error was that a pop up screen would show up saying "Cannot Locate Version 1".  I would then browse again to the tib file's location and attempt to add it but the popup would show up again. This time I checked "ignore" and the validation began to run on an old tib file.  If it works, I will try it on the year old file I am trying to restore and report the results..

Beginner

Steve,

Validation is running and says it has about 45 minutes left to go.  In my TI 2015 console the backup I am validating is listed on the F external drive where it was created. But the external drive with the tib file is actually located on the E drive now..

I tried unsuccessfully to the tib file to the list as a new backup on the E drive but TI keeps defaulting to the F drive.  n The backup is running but the list of "My Backups" still shows the backup on the F drive when it is actually on the E drive.  Is that a problem? 

Beginner

Hi, Steve,

I successfully ran validation from by laptop on an old backup of the laptop.  It took about an hour to run and I saw the bar char the progress in the TI 2015 console. I will run validation again from my desktop and my  primary laptop to check the year old desktop backup I intend to use if I have to restore my desktop.

I am still puzzled because the TI console indicates that the backup it checked is on the F drive. But the backup is presently on the external E drive.  Does TI automatically find the backup file if the drive has been moved?

I will post again after I validate the desktop backup.

Best,

Ron

Beginner

I may have found a fix. I made an incremental backup of the tib file I want to restore. TI is now running a validation of the backup. It indicates that it will take about 5 hours to validate.  I will see what happens when it completes.

Meanwhile, I have a few questions:

1. Can I validate a chain of incremental backups with one click or must I validate each volume separately? 

2.  If I have a chain of incremental backups, can I restore only the original backup tib file without the incremental copies?  I want to restore my system to the state it was a year ago without the changes in the incremental copies. 

3.  The disk I want to restore is my /c drive. It is about 90% full. I have read on some forums that Acronis works better when the target disk where the program resides is no more than about 70% full.  Should I remove some data from my C: drive to give TI room to work on the restore?

4.  I purchased and downloaded TI 2019 in January. I did not install it because I was beginning to have problems withmy OS and I did not want to risk compatibility issues if I needed to restore an archive I made in TI 2015.  I know that TI 2015 will not always restore a backup made in a later version. Will any backup made by TI 2015 be usable by TI 2019?

I will post again after validation completes.  

Legend

1. Can I validate a chain of incremental backups with one click or must I validate each volume separately? 

Validation works on a whole chain of backups - it would make no sense to validate just one incremental file if the rest of the chain did not validate.

2.  If I have a chain of incremental backups, can I restore only the original backup tib file without the incremental copies?  I want to restore my system to the state it was a year ago without the changes in the incremental copies. 

Yes, you can pick any point in the chain to restore from.

3.  The disk I want to restore is my /c drive. It is about 90% full. I have read on some forums that Acronis works better when the target disk where the program resides is no more than about 70% full.  Should I remove some data from my C: drive to give TI room to work on the restore?

You would be wasting your time clearing space on your C: drive - this is because the first action of any disk level restore is to wipe the target drive then recreate the partition structure as found in the backup image file.

If your disk drive has multiple different partitions and you only want to restore C: partition, then you need to ensure that you only select that one partition during the restore process - it will still be wiped by the restore but then written back as it was at the point the backup was created.

4.  I purchased and downloaded TI 2019 in January. I did not install it because I was beginning to have problems withmy OS and I did not want to risk compatibility issues if I needed to restore an archive I made in TI 2015.  I know that TI 2015 will not always restore a backup made in a later version. Will any backup made by TI 2015 be usable by TI 2019?

ATI 2019 should be fully backwards compatible with your backups made by ATI 2015 - that is the normal rule that newer products support the files created by older ones.  The reverse is not true though, ATI 2015 is not guaranteed to be compatible with the files created by ATI 2019 (and will definitely not be compatible with the files that ATI 2020 will create which use the .tibx file format).  See the link in my signature to a full document on backwards compatibility.