Skip to main content

Restoring to a freshly reformatted 500Gig drive

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 141

I'm using 2015. I am restoring from a 500Gig backup with Boot, and two partitions. I'm restoring to a 500Gig drive of the same manufacturer. I can select the .tib file but when it comes to selecting the destination drive I see confusing choices:

There are two disks listed. I suspect Disk 2 is the one where my backup lives because it is grayed out. But Disk 1 has 3 choices:

None (Unlabeled) (C:) Pri, Act, Capacity: 58.22GB; Free:                   Type FS: None Partition: 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)
    NTFS (System) (E:)     Pri         Capacity: 63.57GB, Free: 25.87 GB   Type: NTFS
    Unallocated                               Capacity: 344.0 GB, Free:                   Type Unallocated

So the only thing that makes sense id Disk 2 but that is gray.

Which do I select? 

0 Users found this helpful
Regular Poster

I forgot to say that regarding the destination drive (Disk 2 with 465.8GB) I formatted it first.

Disk 2 says:

None (Unlabeled) (D:) Pri 465.8 GB FS: None Partitition: 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)

Regular Poster

Hmm, I think the problem was that when I formatted it I didn't format for 2 partitions. (I thought Acronis would just do a bit for bit restore and override the single partition I had). So just now I first deleted everything then formatted with two partitions. I'll let you know what happens.

Regular Poster

Well, that didn't do any good. I still see my destination drive (Disk 2) gray and with the same information. So what the heck is going on?

Regular Poster

So I removed the target drive from the computer and connected it via a USB adapter to my e6440 which has Acronis installed. Then I selected Restore and I selected Browse to select the .tib file. And proceeded toward a restore operation. But Acronis never asked me to which drive to recover to. I am afraid to click on Recover Now in fear that it may try to restore to my drive C. Can someone at least advise me how to select the target of the restore?

Legend
Comments: 18072

Eddy, I would recommend ensuring that all your drives have been given clear volume and partition names so as to avoid any confusion over which drive to select when doing any recovery, along with removing any drives that are not involved in the operation.

The connection method of the drive should also help with identification assuming that you are using a mix of internal and external, USB connected drives.