Skip to main content

[Solved] Windows Updated TibMounter - now can't mount archives

Thread needs solution
Regular Poster
Comments: 123

This morning I saw this in Windows Update and installed it.
After that I get a version mismatch when trying to mount TIB files.
See attached images.

EDIT:

This was solved on July 20, 2015 when Acronis provided the ATI 2015 version 6613 update.

Attachment Size
winupd-tibmounter.png 13.59 KB
tibmounter-version-mismatch.png 22.53 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Regular Poster

I re-installed using the repair option and things are OK.

I used the ATI2015 version 6525 installer.

Windows Update changed the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tib_mounter.sys.

Version 4.3.0.2190 was the one used after the repair - this version works.

The version number from Windows Update was 2228 dated July 17,2015.

Then I re-ran Windows Update and hid that update from future use.

Beginner
Comments: 8

Thanks for the heads up ... I won't install the update on my computer.

Simple Suggestion --> Take advantage of Acronis backup to Secure Zone and ALWAYS backup your "C" drive and Boot partition before doing ANY windows or other updates or program additions. It will and has saved a lot of grief.

M P
Beginner
Comments: 2

I ran this update on two computers both refused to start after running it. I have managed to get one working again but the other one just says windows cannot repair this drive.

Beginner
Comments: 1

I had the same problem (Windows 8.1). I renamed the file tibmounter.sys (in Windows/System32/Drivers) and the computer rebooted OK.

Regular Poster

Although I hid this update, it appeared again this morning.
Maybe it is new, but I'm not going to install it.

Forum Member
Comments: 19

I have this too but hid it since others have issues. Anyone know what this is for?

Regular Poster
Comments: 93

I also hid the update and after it reappeared I let it install to see what it does. It is definitely NBG and produces the same results as depicted by arachnaut in his starting post.

As an alternative to repairing Acronis, Windows System Restore also works.

Microsoft's Acronis Tib Mounter is best left hidden. Like updates for Samsung TV's, there is never any description of what the update is for - this one definitely is a no go.

Perhaps Acronis might get round to giving an explanation................

Regular Poster
Comments: 168

This update also appeared for the 2014 version. I haven't installed it.

What I have to smile about, and I hope you all see the funny side... is that its precisely for situations like this that a backup program should be used to put right the damage. If Acronis was in an unusable state from applying this update then run Acronis from the bootable media and restore the image you made just prior to installing the update... you did make an image didn't you ?

M P
Beginner

You are quite right of course, trouble is I had made a back up image of one of the computers but not the other one, doh.
Twice bitten and all that , lol

Regular Poster

Mooly, surely there was no real damage done by this update that either an Acronis repair or Windows Restore wouldn't put right without going to all the trouble of doing a restore. Done in minutes.............

Restorations I reserve for more serious situations. And yes I do have running backups. And yes I know they work. Done it time and time again. So if you had let Microsoft loose and considered an Acronis restore necessary, would you know that yours worked?

What most people want to know is why this miscreant update was ever put out in the first place. Maybe Microsoft perceive Acronis are a little slow at providing fully working software. I wonder if Acronis True Image Unlimited (At 25% off!!) is one that is guaranteed to be fully functionable. With Windows 10 coming free, it must really be the one to go for.

Regular Poster

It's a bit extreme to restore a system image for just one file change.

For me, Acronis was not unuseable, just the archive mounter fails. That's not something I use very often, and only used it now to test this 'update'.
Curiously, there version number is quite a bit higher than the previous indicating possibly many changes.

I would not normally install changes like this, but as it came from Windows Update along with all the other 'Get Windows 10' stuff I figured it would help in the upgrade to Windows 10.

Regular Poster

Agreed but I suspect this update isn't going to work in W10 either. Since I am due the W10 upgrade and Microsoft reckons my PC and laptop are suitable with existing software, I reckon everything will keep running as it is.

Beginner

I to have the same issue, I have hidden the windows update TIB Mounter file, can the forum moderator ask Acronis to either recall the Windows update file or issue a new one that works to Microsoft for release to the update queues

Beginner
Comments: 9

Windows update now has a new tib_mounter.sys 4.3.0.2230.
New number same problem.
That's twice I have repaired with 6525 this is getting monotonous.

Beginner

All, if you install the windows update "tib mounter" and then you find that your acronis will not mount a full or incremental file, you should NOT have to do a repair install or a full install. TRY this, go into your device manager, click on the TIB MOUNTER entry, go to DRIVER then click on "ROLL BACK THE DRIVER". I have not tried this but it should work. good luck

Regular Poster

This method may not work as the Roll Back Driver is greyed out.

Don't be tempted to update the driver either.

Regular Poster

The first thing I checked was Device Manager. Roll Back was not available. Searching for new driver revealed two but neither worked.

Regular Poster

xyzbird wrote:
Mooly, surely there was no real damage done by this update that either an Acronis repair or Windows Restore wouldn't put right without going to all the trouble of doing a restore. Done in minutes.............

Restorations I reserve for more serious situations. And yes I do have running backups. And yes I know they work. Done it time and time again. So if you had let Microsoft loose and considered an Acronis restore necessary, would you know that yours worked?

That raises quite an interesting question really. I've noticed time and again that many who have backup programs seem reluctant to use them, that to restore an image is the last chance saloon only to be contemplated after all other options have been tried.

You ask would I know if my backups work. Yes they do. I probably restore on average once every three weeks or so for various reasons, often because of Windows Update issues and problem updates (usually these updates get pulled after a while by MS after they admit to a problem), other times I restore simply because I've been doing some intense file processing, perhaps trialling some program etc. Best way to undo it all is a restore. Failed updates, uninstalling and reinstalling programs, all leave a little trail of 'destruction' in the form of leftovers and dead registry entries (I don't use anything like CCleaner either). I've absolutely no worries whatsoever on performing a restore, whether it be from a full backup I make knowing I will need to restore, or the unexpected when I'm perhaps restoring from an unexpected event and having to use my daily incremental chain. All work faultlessly and have done ever since I started using Acronis back in 2007. Result is a clean system/s with not even a single failed update showing. I also always run and restore from within Windows.

If you haven't total confidence in the program then its no good.... you have to be able to trust it and know it will work, which my experience says yes, it does.

Beginner

Same here on Acronis True Image 2014 bld 6688 on Windows 7 Pro SP1 with all Windows Updates, until this one broke image mounting totally. Version mismatch.

Had to Repair Install True Image to fix it. I hid the WU file, and will ignore it from now on.

Sorry, no screenshots this time...

Beginner
Comments: 5

The Microsoft update installed on my 64-bit Windows computer, but knocked out the mounter. Used the repair facility to correct this. On my 32-bit Windows computer, the Windows install failed. Could not get it to install. In the end, ran system restore as a "belt and braces" correction to take me back to the situation before the failed install. Would be good to hear from Acronis about the purpose/status of the update and the problems it is causing. All the foregoing relates to the latest build of Acronis True Image 2015. Will now hide the update.

Beginner

updated for 2014 version and Windows 8.1 32 bit HP Elitebook. After updating was thrown into automatic repair loop. Had to restore to older backup version with bootable rescue cd.

Beginner

I have tried replacing the driver with the old driver. It does not work.
The replaced driver is probably just the outward sign of more changes.

There is another similar update on Windows updates it is probably the second try that is 4.3.0.2230 .
If I look at its details it says:
"Acronis other software update released July 2015"

If I then look at the Acronis site there is nothing in July 2015 that pertains to me.

Could this really be for "True Image Unlimited"

Regular Poster

Once again, this morning, I see this update appearing. So I ignore it and Hide it again.
Perhaps it is getting changed every day, but I'm not convinced that this sort of optional driver update alert from Microsoft is working properly.
For one thing, the constant re-appearance. Secondly, it does not appear in the control panel uninstallable updates page.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to remove the update setting about other products from Windows Update?
But I think this is the only time I've had trouble with the mechanism. Usually I just get graphics or sound card updates via that protocol.

Regular Poster

I see a new version of ATI 2015 is out now. Perhaps this is the reason.

Regular Poster

I use TI2014 though, and its being offered for that.

Beginner

Using 2015 ATI on W8 64-bit and version 2230 installed then noticed when I opened up ATI UI a notification appeared stating a new version of 2015 ATI. Downloaded and no problems so far.

Regular Poster

I just downloaded and installed ATI 2015 version 6613 from today's update notice.
It installed fine and has tib_mounter.sys version 4.3.0.2230.
So apparently this is a synchronization issue between Acronis and Microsoft Update.

Regular Poster

Changed posting title to [Solved]

Beginner

Well more than that I think:
the old tib_mounter.sys in ati 2015 6525 was dated 2014 and was version 4.3.0.2190
the first update on Windows Updates was 4.3.0.2228
the second was 4.3.2230
and the driver in ATI 2015 6613 was also 4.3.0.2230

that looks like two tries at a minimal update via Windows Updates; followed by the complete package via Acronis and at the version of the later try.

...John

Regular Poster

arachnaut has the problem really been solved?

Have let the Acronis update 6613 loose and now none of my backups old and new will mount and I get "Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive". The backup validates OK.

The only good thing is the bootable media now works and sees my USB3 external drives and I can go up to the point of letting it go to do a restoration.

So it looks like the only way to get it working mounting is to go back to version 6525.

Beginner
Comments: 8

I don't know if anybody (except the developer) knows exactly what was changed by the update.

I keep minimal files on the "C" drive and rather than becoming an artist I found it easier to boot from Acronis, "C" backup, install and test any updates/new programs, then restore if needed. With a 30 minutes backup/restore to the Acronis Safe Zone, it is super easy to protect my computer.

Regular Poster

xyzbird: I tested 6613 by creating a bootable PE-style ISO and putting that on a USB3 flash drive using YUMI.
Then I booted from that and did a backup/validate and restore in that boot-time ATI.

From the restored image I did a run-time backup/validate in Windows 8 and mounted new and older TIB images.

I don't see any problems at all.

I have the Sync Agent and Non-stop Backup services disabled. I've never used these.

Regular Poster

S.G.: from the release notes:

Build number: 6613

This release includes bug fixes, increased stability and performance improvements.

List of fixed issues

Several issues with "Operations are in progress, please wait" message at shutdown

Trial version of Acronis True Image is created by Universal Boot Media Builder

Cleanup rules do not work with built-in incremental and differential backup schemes

External USB drives are not detected under bootable media

Saved custom schemes are not shown in list of schemes

Installation fails with error: "Installer cannot continue because because one of True Image tools is running. Please close the running tool and restart the installer"

Not possible to create Windows PE bootable media due to disabled button

WinPE Universal Restore Media occasionally fails to boot with error: "The system cannot find the file specified"

Notifications about Acronis Cloud expiration appear even in case of zero cloud storage usage

In-product notifications to share information about product updates, new features and product enhancements are added

Regular Poster

Thanks arachnaut. There must be something up with both my PC's if you and everyone else is able to mount in 6613.

Anyway I am back on 6525 where for me everything was fine and I have disabled Acronis update checking. I noticed in my Acronis account that there was no means of obtaining older versions of 2015 - good job I had downloaded them a while ago. They would need to be deployed without internet connection to stop auto updating. I have recreated all my backups again. I did restores to older ones to see if there was anything I could do with the tib mounter before getting back to where I was before this update.

I won't get too involved with this as I don't have too much PC knowledge and am quite happy to leave it alone.

thanks again.