Skip to main content

Suddenly needing password

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I tried to access my archives today and suddenly it is asking me for a password. I have never set a password and never needed it to access the backups before.

I then did a backup (successfully), but when I tried to edit the settings, it asked me for a password. Again, this has never happened before.

I am using Windows 10 (latest updates installed).

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 15746

Ted, welcome to these User Forums.

I have only ever been asked for a password when either opening a backup archive or wanting to edit task settings where I have used the option to protect the same by using Password encryption.

Unfortunately, if your backups (files or tasks) are protected by a password, then no one else can help you to unlock them and the password cannot be decrypted on your computer.

I would suggest creating a new backup task and confirming that Password protection is not set in the Advanced Options page.

If the new backup task still gives you the same issue, then I would recommend doing a Repair Install of your ATI 2015 application.  This is done by reinstalling ATI 2015 without uninstalling the current software.

Beginner

Thanks Steve for your response. It is just strange that I have always been able to access the archives in the past without passwords. Also, I am pretty obsessive about recording any password I've set in an encrypted file, and I can find no record of any password been set for Acronis backups. I also tried about 10 of my "usual" passwords, all to no avail. Thus I was wondering if anyone else had experienced encryption settings suddenly "flipping on".

I suspect you are right: I will just have to create new jobs and rebackup. The only thing is I will have to remember all the folder and filename exceptions, and I can't get into the old tasks because they are all password protected!

Beginner

Legend
Comments: 15746

Ted, the only other thought here is if you have been a victim of ransomware or some other form of encrypting malware?  I have never experienced ATI encrypting backup tasks or images by itself unless encryption has been set as a default for an existing task, which then gets used as default in any new tasks being created.