Skip to main content

Universal Restore

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

Is it possible to create Acronis Universal Restore to a thumb drive. I'm thinking of replacing the mother board, processor and ram in one of my computers that had windows 7 os. I want to just move my old drive with os7 and all my already installed programs to the new hardware, without having to do any fresh re-install of the os or my programs. Anyone know how to go about this?

I have already cloned another SSD and have backup images of my current C: drive.

David

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 15746

David, please see KB 47606: Acronis True Image 2015: Restoring to Dissimilar Hardware with Acronis Universal Boot - for information on this tool.

See also KB 48338: Acronis True Image 2015: Creating Acronis Bootable Media - which you may also need to use in this migration scenario and which you should keep for use in any recovery situation.

Also KB 45432: Acronis Software: Troubleshooting Universal Restore and Bootability Issues

If you create the Acronis boot media as per KB 48338 (referenced above) then this media is normally used to first boot into the normal Acronis Rescue media - True Image application to perform the restore of the backup, then shutdown and boot again, this time to the Universal Restore application.

However, for this to be successful, both computers have to support how Windows will boot, i.e. both use the same CPU architecture (you cannot restore a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit system), both need to support booting into Windows using the same BIOS mode, so both boot using Legacy, or both boot using UEFI.  If your old system was Legacy, and the new is UEFI only, then the restore has to also migrate the OS data from MBR to GPT as required by UEFI. 

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

Both computers need to support the same disk controller mode of operation, i.e. both using SATA drives in AHCI mode.

Further, if you are migrating a Windows 7 OS to new hardware, you need to ensure that you have all required drivers for new hardware in that new computer for which Windows 7 has no native support, such as NVMe PCIe M.2 drives which may also be using a SATA controller mode of RAID for which further drivers would be needed.

Windows 7 is now in its final year of support by Microsoft so you may want to consider taking the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 when moving to a new computer system.  Windows 10 is significantly more flexible at handling change of hardware than Windows 7 has ever been, and in most cases, Windows 10 OS migration does not need to use Universal Restore.

Beginner
Comments: 3

Thanks for all the information Steve. Can I create the boot able media and the universal restore as ISO files and write them to a flash drive and expect that to work, rather then burning to a dvd?

David 

Legend
Comments: 15746

David, you should be able to create all the bootable media directly on your flash drive rather than making ISO files then converting them for USB.