Skip to main content

Upgrade boot disk

Thread solved
Forum Member
Comments: 36

I am going to upgrade my 500 GB SSD to a 2TB SSD. I have good backups on an external drive and plenty of space in my tower. Is best practice to run the restore with both drives installed or to first swap them out and restore using the Acronis Boot Disk? I plan to reformat the 500 GB after restore, of course, and continue to use it.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21411

Robert, the safest option here would be to remove the 500GB SSD and replace it directly with the new 2TB one then boot from the Acronis rescue media to restore the backup of the 500GB drive to the new one in situ.

This approach is safest because the 500GB drive is disconnected and cannot be overwritten etc by any mistakes, so could always be put back if the restore had any issues.

One important factor is to ensure you boot from the rescue media using the same BIOS boot mode as your OS uses.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media for more information.

Final comment, please do not attempt to boot into Windows with both these drives connected until after you have reformatted the old drive.  It is best to connect it via USB to do the reformat then install it inside the tower via SATA.  This is to avoid any disk signature clash when Windows boots if 2 copies of the same OS are detected and the disk signature from the old SSD has been restored to the new one to avoid application activation issues.  Some programs are activated based on the disk signature and other hardware details.

Forum Member

Steve,

Thanks very much. Just the information that I needed.

Forum Member

Well, I'm finally back up and running. Don't know why you have to get the "BootMGR not found" error every time you try to do something in Windows, even on my original drive when I reconnected it. I have to redo my dual boot, but everything seems to be ok on the new drive. I'll wait a week or so before I reformat my old drive.

Oh, well, All's well that ends well, once again. I love computers.