Skip to main content

W00100021: Failed to count the snapshot manager volumes.

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

I am moving my Acronis software to a new computer. And now have an issue cleanly removing the software from the old computer. I’ve ran the following cleanup program. https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668 an am now getting this message when the old system boots. W00100021: Failed to count the snapshot manager volumes. Please advise steps to fix this problem. Windows 8.1 pro 32 gigs… Regards, Mark Bugeaud Phone: 586-573-7266 Email: Mark.Bugeaud@gmail.com

0 Users found this helpful
Beginner
Comments: 7

Message W00100021

I have recently updated my Acronis True Image 2016 to the latest version (build 6027), after being prompted to do so by the Acronis automatic update. This has created the following problem:

During bootup, when "Starting Windows" appears, I get the message (on the black background) "W00100021: Failed to count the snapshot manager volumes".

1. What does this mean?

2. How do I fix it?

My OS is Windows 7. I have been using Acronis True Image for many years and have never seen this message before.

I am disappointed that Acronis Support will not help because my "support program has expired".

Your assistance would be very much appreciated.

Beginner

I have the same issue since upgrading on Windows 7.

It doesn't affect loading and doesn't seem to cause a problem.

anyone have a fix ?

Beginner

W0010021 error, how can this be fixed

Beginner

I understand that this Forum is independant of Acronis, however, it is surely in the interest of Acronis to keep their customers happy.

This Forum is full of constructive criticism but their is little or no response from Acronis - how do they expect to retain customers.

Customers will pay to solve a problem which they have created (through misuse of the software), but why should people pay for support to solve a problem which is not of their making?

This W10010021 error is a simple example - would someone from Acronis please explain what is the likely cause of this error and (as C. J. Harrel says) how can this be fixed.

Beginner
Comments: 10

I know it is easy to criticize, but having used Acronis products for years, their free support is atrocious after the measley 30 days. I too have this problem on one of two WIN 7 Desktop systems with the three-system Acronis 2016. Very annoying to see this on bootup, but not as annoying as Acronis non-response as they do monitor this forum!

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4065

Hello all,

I've reported this issue to our development team. Could you please provide us with Acronis System Reports from the affected machines as a feedback. Please reply to this thread once the data are sent.

Thank you, 

Beginner

As requested, by Ekaterina Surkova, I have sent the Acronis System Report using the Acronis Feedback Form.

Hopefully, the tick box on the Feedback Form automatically generates and sends the System Report because the file is too large (51.2 MB) to attach in the normal way. The Feedback Form will not accept attachments greater than 50 MB.

It is good to see an Acronis Support Engineer responding to this forum - it should happen more often.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 4065

Geoffrey, thank you very much, got it! 

Forum Hero
Comments: 6999

To the poster to this thread,

Go to the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]\BootExecute

Delete all references to Acronis in this key.  DO NOT delete the autocheck autochk * entry.

Reboot your system and the problem will be gone!

In reply to by Enchantech

Beginner
Comments: 3

There is no *\BootExecute* at Session Manager...

Legend
Comments: 15746

Marcel, did you try searching in RegEdit for BootExecute?  

On my Windows 10 system I see as below:

2017-07-07 17_19_42-Registry Editor.png

More information would be needed to understand what problem you are seeing and what Windows OS you have etc?

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Hi Steve,

I found it, thanks! But which files should I delete?

I have Windows 8.1 and I am getting the *W00100021 Failed to count the snap shot manager volumes* error message when booting.

Legend

Marcel, as advised by Enchantech in his earlier post, if you have found the BootExecute registry key, then:

Delete all references to Acronis in this key.  DO NOT delete the autocheck autochk * entry.

I cannot give you an example as I only have as shown in my earlier screen shot for this key. There are no files to delete, just the references in the registry key if they exist.

Note: You may want to try running the Acronis VSS Doctor utility program for this issue - link in my signature below.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Lots of files in there but none with the word Acronis.

I ran VSS Doctor utility and got 42 *an error was detected on device\Device\Harddisk3\DR6 during paging operation* messages and 2 *Ntfs, Warning* messages, whatever that means...

Legend

Marcel, it would be worth doing a CHKDSK /R for each drive being indicated as having errors.

Also, check whether VSS Doctor offers you an option to repair any problems it finds - it does this for some errors but not all.

Beginner

Hello,

I have this problem on my Windows 10 ROG computer, and always failed to boot...

I have 2 others clone boot disks, that help me to keep my PC in function, (made with Acronis)

I have the problem only with SSD disk, my mehanical disk always work (slowly by it works)

so, i try this link https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

to make a USB boot key, and it 's work by choosing the right boot on BIOS

then boot and choose "repair" and not "install", then Tools appears and repair PC.

now the problem has gone left, my PC always boot safely with SSD disk.

Beginner

When you say.....delete Acronis refer. are you saying that whole line in the reg.or just to name Acronis in that line?

What if I delete the whole line?

Legend

Earl, welcome to these public User Forums.

When you say.....delete Acronis refer. are you saying that whole line in the reg.or just to name Acronis in that line?

What if I delete the whole line?

The clear advice given by Enchantech back 2 years ago was NOT to delete the whole line, only any reference to Acronis that may be shown.  You should see as shown below with no reference to Acronis in the registry entry, though there may be other references present depending on what you have installed on your system.  
Note: whenever making changes to the Windows Registry, always make a backup of this first by using the option to export either the entry being changed, or the whole branch, or full registry etc!