Skip to main content

Accessing contents of TIB file

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

I am running an HP tower with 2 hard drives. Few days ago, during a Win 10 auto update, pc went belly up & no idea why. I was able to boot to the second drive & did Acronis 2019 backup on external HD.  I want to extract an Outlook PST file from the backup.  When I right click to drill into the TIB file, Acronis starts. The TIB file tree is not displayed. To ensure I was not losing sanity, I brought the portable HD to older Win 7, right clicked on the TIB, saw file structure displayed on screen  & was able to drill into the TIB. 

I did do an Acronis installation as part of building up the hard drive again.  It was from this installation I was unable to see TIB contents.

Why am I unable to see TIB file contents on the Win 10 HP?  Not sure what to do.

Appreciate any help!!

Thanks- Steve 

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24801

Steve, welcome to these public User Forums.

Are you using the same version of ATI each time when you are trying to look at the contents of the .tib file?

ATI follows the settings in Explorer for how to handle any hidden / system files & folders, so if you have Explorer set to not show these, ATI will not show them either.

Beginner
Comments: 6

Thanks Steve,

I did not modify Explorer. After Win 10 went belly up during auto update, I did contact MS support & I was walked through  a new install on the drive with the problematic Win 10. I mechanically went through installing apps. 

On Win 10 system,as it is in current state, Acronis  slowly starts and opens  the TIB file, and shows a crude listing. On Win 7 system, when I right click on TIB, it immediately shows file contents. 

‘What does Windows use to open the TIB file?  I ask, as when I pointed to the TIB on Win 10, just after building the drive, Win 10 wanted to use Internet Explorer to open the file, so I directed Win 10 to use Acronis.  Not sure if this is where I got in trouble - using Acronis as default app to open TIB. Been  using Acronis a number of years & never ran into problem in opening TIB.   What does Windows use as default app to open TIB?  This could be my problem. I believe I need to direct Win 10 to use xyz app to open TIB ... I think???

Thanks so much for your response,

Steve

Legend
Comments: 24801

Steve, Acronis integrates with Windows & Explorer when it is installed to provide the two methods of working with the backup archive files.  If there is any concern over correct file associations, then the best way to resolve this would be to do a Repair Install of ATI (as Administrator) so this is resolved.

See KB 60915: Acronis True Image: repairing program settings - for details.