Skip to main content

acronics does not recognize old backups

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi,

I have some old backups (well, not very old, only few months) but for some reason, when I open the acronics true image, it does not recognize it.

I've switched to a new computer, I don't remember, maybe I've used different version of Acronics, but anyway, it does not give me an option to load and increment the newer backup, only start from scratch.

I tried also 'add existing backup' - I chose the backup, but nothing happen...

Any idea?

I just don't want to delete these old ones, nevertheless, they weight about 350GB... so to make them all from scracth seems like a good place in external drive.

Thanks! 

Legend
Comments: 14804

Roy, welcome to these user forums.

When you say that Acronis doesn't recognise your old backups, what exactly do you mean by this?

If you double-click on one of these backups in Windows Explorer does it open to show the contents?
If you right-click on a backup in Explorer do you see an option for TrueImage which then offers a further option for Mount?
Are you able to Mount one of these backups?

What versions / build of Acronis True Image are you using?  This is the 2016 Forum so would expect ATIH 2016 build 6581 which is the latest version.

What previous version of Acronis True Image do you think may have been used to create these backups?

You also say you have switched to a new computer, what are the differences between this new computer and the old one?

If these old backups were created on your old computer, then there is no way to continue backing up to them on the new computer because these are two completely different systems.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Ok, Thanks Steve for your quick reply.

First, Prviously I've worked with WIN7, Now, with WIN10. The file is being recognized, and I can double click on it and see all my files. When I right click the file on Explorer I see 2 options under True Image: Mount & Validate. When I click on Validate the True Image 2016 shows but nothing happens.

What I meant (and sorry for not pointint that out) is the backup I used to do was incremental, and I would like to keep working that way, and add newer data to the old one, instead of backing everything from scratch.

I don't remeber what version of True Image I used to have.

ROy

Legend

Roy, if you have moved from an old Windows 7 system to a new Windows 10 system, with physically different hardware and software, then you will need to start a new incremental backup task on the new system.

You can keep your old backup files from the Windows 7 system if you have the disk space to store these, and you should be able to access these via the various options available to you should a need arise to do so.

Any attempt to try to add to the old Windows 7 backup files would require a full new backup to be created regardless because of the differences between these two systems.

Validation is essentially a mechanism to verify the checksum that is embedded within the backup file by recalculating this from the file data to ensure that the file has not been altered, corrupted, damaged etc.

Beginner
Comments: 3

I have something similar issue. I tried to recover 2-3 very heavy folders from  Win 7 Acronis 2010 full disk backup on new Win 10 new laptop running Acronis 2018. The new Acronis would only show one partition - which is actually hidden provided by our corp IT. The actual C partition which contains all my files - neatly organized in 2-3 top level folders - just wont show up. Deleted the backup and added a new - did not work. Support worked with for 2 hours - could not figure it out

Like Steve's case - I can access the tlb file in Win 10 - double click and it shows all files. I can copy/paste individual files too. 

The tech support gave me 14 days eval  2019 copy to see if it makes it work - did not help. He took the system logs and is going to log next level support - but not sure how and when will that help me.

I have started the backup - full disk on 2018 version in old Win 7 laptop. And I am hoping this one will work on Win 10. Any alternative ideas, please?

Beginner

set the notification preference for recieving replies

Legend

See KB 62120: Acronis True Image: viewing hidden files in program interface - which may be getting involved here?

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

See KB 62120: Acronis True Image: viewing hidden files in program interface - which may be getting involved here?

Nope. Its the entire C partition which is not displayed. And like I said in Windows Explorer view of the tlb file - both C and other partition are visible - including files their in. I was able to recover a file also from C partition from backup file

Legend

If the C: partition and contents show correctly in Windows Explorer, then I would expect it to also show in the ATI GUI via the Recovery options though it may show using a different drive letter?

Screen images of what you are seeing / the steps you are following can be helpful in trying to understand the issue here?