Skip to main content

Acronis 2016 does not see new Dell XPS SSD

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 4

Been a long time Acronis user of one version or another for cloning, now using 2016 since 2012 could not clone a new Win version. I just got a new Dell XPS with a 512GB WD PCIe x4 SSD on the motherboard. After loading and configuring about 140GB of software, I went to clone it. I tried all of my 3 backup HDD/SSD SATA drives, using my usual Acronis boot CD to clone (Acronis software is not on my source SSD). In all cases, Acronis sees my target disks, but not the source disk. I understand Dell XPS PC's are all loaded/shipped with some sort of a RAID driver configuration. I tested Macrium Trial, and I was able to clone both my HDD as bootable clones, and also my smaller-than-source SSD is bootable. Looking at the files on my boot disk, they are all dated month of 7-2015.

So is an update available for my version to solve this? If so, what is the procedure to make another bootable CD with the updates? If not, does the latest version solve this?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21996

Chester, from your description your Acronis boot CD is based on the small Linux kernel OS media which doesn't have support for new PCIe NVMe type SSD drives and no RAID support.

You would need to create the alternative Windows PE version of the rescue media and add in additional device drivers such as those for Intel RST for the RAID support.

Macrium uses WinPE media by default even in the free / trial versions.

Beginner

Steve, I appreciate the feedback, and looks like you are correct.

I Googled that procedure using 2016 and found procedures that may get me thru that. But, with my time being consumed up lately, I looked into an upgrade to Acronis 2020 (assuming that would see my on onboard Raid SSD). But I found upgrades prices are only available for later editions than mine.  So with Macrium Trial working immediately for me with 5 mins of learning curve, I'm gonna pay a touch more and register it.

Legend

Chester, thanks for your update / feedback.  I am a firm believer in user choice and use a mix of different applications as needed for my own requirements, which includes using Macrium at times, along with MiniTool and others!

Forum Star
Comments: 3856

Chester, I cannot find anything on the upgrade page indicating any limit on the version - just says ATI 2019 or earlier. I looked at the Australian site 

Ian

Legend

Beginner

Ian/Steve, thanks for the replies.

I misread the leading statement on the page I viewed seeing in my head later than 2019 verses or earlier than 2019.

OK, my license shows to be classified as Workstation, and assuming that qualifies, looks to be like $40. But, I found it on Amazon for $27 which is a cheaper option than Macrium.

So if I order up this 2020 version, all I have to do is either clone the factory disk, boot off of it and clone, or at worse install the program and then make a boot disk, perhaps using a PE option if need-be specified in the software? And I can shrink partitions with 2020 on a drive to make it fit on a smaller one still? If so, I'll order up the 2020 version.

Legend

Chester, if you have already used MR to do the clone, then would suggest waiting a little longer as ATI 2020 will go out of support in the next weeks or month with the release of the latest ATI 2021 version, when there may be other discounts on offer.

ATI 2021 is currently in Beta testing as per https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/beta/

Beginner

Steve,

Good to know.

Not sure how long before Amazon would get the new version, but I can certainly wait a bit. Usually, do a monthly clone, and then spot file backups whenever. So I can still MR it a couple of weeks from now, and all of my new software, except this, would be on/set-up then.

I'll be back in here most probably, with a few new questions.

thanks,

chester