Skip to main content

Acronis Bootable Agent is waiting for removable devices

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

I have tried everything I can find to fix this issue and cannot resolve it. The BOIS is in the right start-up mode. I just can't get the desktop hard drive to clone to my new M.2 250GB SSD. I am trying to get OS from the hard drive to the SSD

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24096

Justin, welcome to these public User Forums.

The message in your topic title suggests that you are attempting to clone your HDD from within Windows which then requires a restart into a temporary Linux kernel OS environment which simply does not have the device support needed for your new M.2 SSD.

As this topic is posted in the ATI 2016 forum, I am assuming that you are using such an older version as you have not indicated otherwise?

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media that is most likely needed for supporting your SSD.

See KB 56634: Acronis True Image: how to clone a disk - and review the step by step guide given there.

Note: the first section of the above KB document directs laptop users to KB 2931: How to clone a laptop hard drive - and has the following paragraph:

It is recommended to put the new drive in the laptop first, and connect the old drive via USB. Otherwise you will may not be able to boot from the new cloned drive, as Acronis True Image will apply a bootability fix to the new disk and adjust the boot settings of the target drive to boot from USB. If the new disk is inside the laptop, the boot settings will be automatically adjusted to boot from internal disk. As such, hard disk bays cannot be used for target disks. For example, if you have a target hard disk (i.e. the new disk to which you clone, and from which you intend to boot the machine) in a bay, and not physically inside the laptop, the target hard disk will be unbootable after the cloning.

See forum topic: [IMPORTANT] CLONING - How NOT to do this - which was written after dealing with many cloning issues in the forums. 

Finally, NVMe M.2 drives normally require that the PC is booted in UEFI / GPT mode to be used as OS boot drives.  If your current HDD doesn't already boot in UEFI mode, then a migration from Legacy / MBR to UEFI / GPT mode will be needed, which is done by booting from the Acronis rescue media in UEFI mode.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

Note: it is very highly recommended that you make a full disk & partitions backup image of your source drive before embarking on any clone operation!