Skip to main content

Backup files are funky

Thread needs solution
jim
Regular Poster
Comments: 97

I think I've asked about this before without getting an answer I understood. Occasionally I need to recover an individual file or folder from a image file. On some backups this works, on others it doesn't. To recover an individual file I double click on the image file. When it's going to work an icon appears on the upper left of the screen and I can dig down to the file.  When it's not going to work nothing appears except the filename in the bar near the top, and a green progress bar crawls (very slowly) across the bar. It never finishes, just keeps grinding away. Today I needed to access a more current file but it wouldn't work and I had to recover an older one.

Edited to add:

What's the deal?

Attachment Size
Untitled-1.jpg 69.23 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 2986

It possible that depends on the size of the backup - also, I suspect that even if you click on a particular *.tib file, it will search through all the *.tib files created by the backup task, which can take quite a while. It may be quicker in such case to open ATI and then do recovery form within ATI as it hopefully will be able to list the backup times more quickly.

Ian

jim
Regular Poster

I only make stand alone backups. They are of the same disk and therefore roughly of the same size. This has been happening since I bought Acronis in 2015

Legend
Comments: 19000

Jim, please check your backup drive for any file system errors using CHKDSK /F plus also for fragmentation in  case these factors are at play here?

jim
Regular Poster

Over time I have backed up to three different disks. It happened on all of them.

jim
Regular Poster

jim wrote:

Over time I have backed up to three different disks. It happened on all of them.

Attachment Size
520981-176654.jpg 59.12 KB