Skip to main content

Backup location was not found

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 23

When trying to run a "Disks and Partitions" backup I get the message: "The last backup has failed. The backup location was not found on the destination drive. Make sure the correct storage device is connected to the computer".

I'm able to recover the disks and files from the backup, but I can't backup or add the backup as an existing backup.

The log says:

<event id="6" level="4" module="11" code="127" time="1552875357" message="The backup location was not found on the destination drive. Make sure the correct storage device is connected to the computer." line_tag="0x65E40AA0B487146" >
        <error>AX8ACwBGcUgLqkBeBlRoZSBiYWNrdXAgbG9jYXRpb24gd2FzIG5vdCBmb3VuZCBvbiB0aGUgZGVzdGluYXRpb24gZHJpdmUuIE1ha2Ugc3VyZSB0aGUgY29ycmVjdCBzdG9yYWdlIGRldmljZSBpcyBjb25uZWN0ZWQgdG8gdGhlIGNvbXB1dGVyLgAkbW9kdWxlAEF0aV9kZW1vbl92c182NTk1ACRmaWxlAEFrOlw2NTk1XHByb2R1Y3RzXGltYWdlclxhcmNoaXZlXGltcGxcb3BlcmF0aW9uc1xhcmNoaXZlX29wZXJhdGlvbl9iYWNrdXAuY3BwACRmdW5jAEFUcnVlSW1hZ2U6OkFyY2hpdmU6OkJhY2t1cEFyY2hpdmVPcGVyYXRpb25JbXBsOjpDaGVja0xhc3RWb2x1bWVEZXZpY2VJZE1hdGNoACRsaW5lAE61AgAAAAAAAAA=</error>
    </event>
    <event id="7" level="4" module="316" code="5" time="1552875357" message="Operation has completed with errors." line_tag="0x9F2C53C72E8BCE7B" >
        <error>AQUAPAF7zosux1Msn09wZXJhdGlvbiBoYXMgY29tcGxldGVkIHdpdGggZXJyb3JzLgAkbW9kdWxlAEF0aV9kZW1vbl92c182NTk1ACRmaWxlAEFrOlw2NTk1XHByb2R1Y3RzXGltYWdlclxkZW1vblxtYWluLmNwcAAkZnVuYwBBbWFpbgAkbGluZQBOhQIAAAAAAAAA</error>
    </event>
    <event id="8" level="2" module="103" code="0" time="1552875364"

It's the correct external storage device with matching drive letter, and as mention, I'm able to recover the disks and files from the backup.

I've tried restarting my PC and external drive.

Why would Acronis not be able to find the backup location when performing a backup, but can find it when recovering disks and files from the backup?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7761

Have you tried just re-selecting the backup destination in the backup script - even though it may appear the same, try it and see if that helps. 

It's not uncommon for a disk to change if the partitions have been modified at all (extended, made smaller - a major Windows 10 update often does this automatically when it creates the new recovery partition... this can also occur on external drives in older versions of Acronis that were solely relying on drive letter - Windows can only use one drive letter at a time and having multiple USB or flash drives plugged in at the same time can knock the normally assigned letter to something else).

Forum Star
Comments: 2733

Not sure what is going on here. You could try editing the backup task and reselecting the destination partition (as suggested in the previous post). Older versions of ATI use disk signatures to identify correct location (which can be changed when you do a major Windows update), and the task needs to be reconfigured to accommodate this. ATI 2019 does not have this issue.

If that does not work, try a repair installation of ATI 2016. Download the full installation file (not the web installer) from your Acronis Account, run as Administrator and select Repair rather than uninstall.

Please keep us updated on your progress in sorting this out.

Ian

Forum Member
Comments: 23

Thanks for the support, seems as though a Windows update must have caused the issue, re-selecting the backup destination fixed it.

Forum Hero
Comments: 7761

Excellent! Easy fix, and am glad you're up and running again!

Forum Star
Comments: 2733

Yes, definitely excellent news. It can be rather disconcerting the first time it happens. I was well and truly flummoxed the first time it happened to me.

Ian