Skip to main content

Bootable media can't see C drive

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 2

I had to replace the SSD C drive on my son's computer.  I have a full backup of the previous one that I want to restore to the new drive.  When I boot the computer using an Acronis Bootable Media USB key, I can select the backup I want to restore but it when I go to chose the destination, I can't see the new drive.  It see's every other drive but that one.  I read somewhere that the bootable media most likely doesn't have the correct drivers for the new SSD.  How do I get around this?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24801

John, welcome to these public User Forums.

Your new SSD drive is most likely not initialised so is not shown to the Acronis USB boot media.

When booted from the Acronis USB media, open the Tools option then select Add new disk where the new SSD should be shown as uninitialised in the list of available drives.

You need to understand which partition scheme the new drive should be initialised for, i.e. MBR for older Legacy boot systems, or GPT for modern UEFI boot systems.

If you look at the contents of your Disk backup from the old drive, then open this and check whether you see an ESP or EFI system partition or a System partition that contains an EFI folder if you are unsure.

Beginner

After scratching my head for a while I finally figured this out.  In the BIOS the SATA Mode was set to RAID.  Setting it to AHCI seemed to do the trick.  The drive is now recognized in Acronis, booted through Windows PE.  I was able to select the backup I wish to restore, target the correct drive I want to restore to and begin the process.

However after a few hours, the progress bar has not moved.  It sounds like the computer is working away but it has not moved an inch since the restore started.  Is this normal? 

Legend
Comments: 24801

John, the progress bar is less than accurate in the rescue media and progress will depend on other factors too, i.e. the size of the backup data being recovered, and the speed of the USB connection and backup drive that the image is being restored from.

If you are hearing / seeing signs of disk activity then I would recommend walking away for a while then take a look later.

Beginner

The initial restore with the progress bar not moving was actually not doing anything, so I re formatted the drive (I had re installed Windows on it using Dell's OS recovery tool) and then the restore worked fine. 

I got a bit of a fright when Windows wouldn't boot after the restore, so I switched back to RAID, did a little boot sector auto repair and boom, my son was looking at his old desktop again.

Thanks so much for your help Steve.