Skip to main content

Can I restore a tib file to a new disk?

Beginner
Comments: 1

This was easy in 2011 and now looks impossible.

I have a new disk and an old tib image that is the system for another computer. I don't see any way for me to use this computer to write the image to the new disk.

The only operation I see is to backup. Where is restore?

Do I need to install my 2011 version of trueimage to write the tib to the disk or boot from a CD?

Thank you

I HATE trueimage after 2016.

Forum Star
Comments: 3750

Boot from the ATI bootable Rescue Media and try it, as you should always use the ATI bootable Rescue Media when restoring disk or partition images.

But, the image is from a different PC than the one you wish to restore it to? Please clarify, as if that's the case then it's a more complicated process since drivers will differ between the PCs. Also, you'll be restoring whatever flavour of Windows was on the PC that was imaged, which could differ from what's currently on the PC you wish to restore to.

Legend
Comments: 15201

Steve, in addition to the advice given by Tuttle, you can try to do the following providing that your ATIH 2016 or 2017 application will recognise your old .TIB file and allow you to see the contents.

Connect the drive holding the old .TIB file to your computer running ATIH, then in Windows Explorer, either double-click on the .TIB file, or take the option via the right-click menu for True Image > Mount, to mount the image file as a drive letter.  This will allow you to view the contents of the image file, if recognised & supported, so that you should be able to access any files / documents etc.

If you really do need to restore this .TIB file to a spare / new disk drive, then you can try to do this from within Windows if this is not the computer where this drive will be used.  Connect the spare / new drive to your computer via a USB dock / caddy or USB to SATA adapter, then in ATIH, at the bottom of the Tasks list panel, you will see a (V) icon which when clicked will offer you an option to 'Add existing backup' - click on this and navigate to where your old .TIB file is stored and select this.

Once you have the old .TIB file shown in the task list, you should then have option buttons to Recover disk or Recover files shown, that you can use.

I did this back in the summer for an image of a tablet that I restored to a spare disk drive connected via USB.

Please see KB document: 1689: Backup Archive Compatibility Across Different Product Versions in case your installed ATIH version does not recognise your old .TIB file, in that case you will need a copy of the Rescue Media for an earlier version of ATIH to boot from as Tuttle advised.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thank you for the replies. I installed a CD drive on the target computer and booted the recovery CD. Luckily my W7 tib (2009) is recognized. 

Thanks Steve for the tip on the V at the bottom of the screen. I didn't notice it. That would have done what I needed from my desk computer. My screen settings made that and one at the top almost invisible.  My old eyes just didn't notice them or recognize them as a control. That had been happening more and more with W10.  Low contrast on controls in software and on electronics is the thing now but hard for me to see. And my eye doc says I don't have cataracts yet.

Regards

Legend

Steve, glad to have been able to help.  Understand what you say about low contrast.  I am colour blind and find that a problem plenty of times with different applications etc.

Beginner
Comments: 7

I was using acronis 2018 before and i could restore .tib file to an external hard drive caddy and restore everything. But now since installing acronis 2019 all I see is the "recovery" tab and not "restore" tab. What happened ? what is it so difficult to restore .tib files to a new empty external hard drive ? please someone explain properly

Forum Star
Comments: 2320

Just a different name, if you use the Recovery tab you it will allow you to restore the files,

Ian

Beginner

I have 2 hard drives connected to a hard drive caddy. 1 hard drive has the .tib file in a folder. The other hard drive is completely empty. I am using a laptop with it's own hard drive. I cannot see the empty external hard drive when i am recovering, I only see the C drive on my laptop. What the **** is going on....

Legend

Sorry but too little information to give you an answer to why the empty drive is not being seen?

What version of Acronis True Image are you using here?
How is the empty external hard drive formatted / how does it show in Windows Disk Management?
Can you see both of the drives in the hard drive caddy in Disk Management?
How is the disk caddy connected to the laptop?
Are you doing the restore from the Windows ATI application or using the Rescue Media?

If the empty drive is truly a raw drive with no formatting then you may need to use the Add New Disk tool to get ATI to be able to see it - this is found in 'All Tools' in the ATI GUI.

Beginner

i am using acronis true image 2019. The external hard drive is formatted as ntfs active, primary partition labelled E: drive. Yes, i can see both hard drives in disk management. The disk caddy is connected by a USB 3.0 wire inserted into a USB 2.0 port on my laptop (my laptop does not have a usb 3.0 port). I am restoring from a acronis .tib file on my western digital 640 gb hard drive. The empty hard drive is also western digital black edition 500gb. 

Legend

Are you doing the restore from the Windows ATI application or using the Rescue Media?

Have you tried using the Add New Disk option in ATI for the external drive?

Beginner

i am using acronis application, not the rescue media. I have also tried using the add new disk option from tools in acronis. Still the empty hard drive is not added to show up in "recovery" tab.

Legend

OK, back to some basic questions here:

What is the size of your source disk that the .tib file you are trying to restore was created from?

What is the size of the new empty disk that you are trying to restore to?

Beginner

the .tib file is about 120 gigabytes. The hard drive that the .tib file is saved in is 500 GB. The empty hard drive that I want to restore to is also 500 GB.

And also, when i tried using Add new disk from tools in acronis, and i initialized/formatted my empty hard drive. It cleared everything and made the partition unallocated instead of creating something in the empty hard drive. That is so wierd.

Legend

the .tib file is about 120 gigabytes. The hard drive that the .tib file is saved in is 500 GB. The empty hard drive that I want to restore to is also 500 GB.

Sorry but this did not answer my question about the size of the original source drive that this .tib file was created from?  Give the .tib file is about 120GB I would expect that this should be able to be resized to fit on your 500GB target drive but there is something strange here that I cannot figure out?

Beginner

what do u mean ?

Legend

I was trying to understand what the size of the original source disk for the 120GB tib file was? Was this also a 500GB drive, was it larger or smaller - it should not make any real difference but there has to be a reason why you are seeing an issue here?

The other question is what OS was captured in the .tib file that you are wanting to restore?

I can only suggest trying this recovery on a different computer, either using the installed ATI application if available, or else using the Acronis bootable Rescue Media to do this.

Beginner

im not exactly sure what size the hard drive was when it was backed up. But I presume that it was around 500 GB since most hard drives I have here was 500 GB. I also understand that it should not make any difference. I do not understand why the empty hard drive is not showing up after reformatting and making the hard drive active with a . primary partition. I believe it was windows 7 because the .tib file was backed up in 2015.

Legend

One further thought - right-click on your 120GB .TIB file in Windows Explorer, then take the Acronis TrueImage > Mount option and mount the image to a drive letter.  After doing this, look again in Explorer at This PC and check what size shows for the mounted drive letter - this will give you a better idea of what the size of the source drive was.

Note: if your .tib file contains multiple partitions, you would need to do the same for each partition.

I did this for an old Vista .tib file of 19GB and it showed as nearly 52GB when mounted as V:

2018-10-14 Vista tib.png2018-10-14 Vista mount.png