Skip to main content

Cannot find version

Beginner
Comments: 7

My ATI version is 2016.  I have seen many postings for this and for older versions with the error "Cannot find version 1" (or some other version).  This apparently has been going on for many years and is also common in older versions of ATI.  It is time for an easy answer -- hopefully one that does not require reinstall and setting up new profiles -- if even that works.  The number of posts about it tells me that the problem happens too often for a time-consuming fix like that.  The solution should either be quick and easy or provide a permanent solution.

The forums show a few solutions and one of them actually worked for me for a while and that was to delete the database and allow it to be remade, but that fix was temprorary and it also comes with the suggestion of setting up a new profile.

Could it be that now there is a good fix and I just haven't been able to find it?

Legend
Comments: 12143

Gary, one of the latest tips from Acronis was in post: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/117232#comment-359062 from Dmitry who suggested:

If you're having the "Please locate the last volume..." issue when opening backups in Windows Explorer - try deleting all the files in C:\Users\[your_username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Database 

This may help resolve the issue.

I understand that this is not the same as your 'Can't find version 1...' but it may be worth trying.

I would recommend submitting an Acronis System Report via the Feedback tool in the Acronis GUI Help section before you choose to do the above or not, with a reference to this forum post, as that may help the Acronis developers to look at this issue further.  

I am assuming that you have already updated to the latest build 6571 version for ATIH 2016 to cover the fixes for all current resolved issues.

Beginner
Comments: 9

Not Gary but have had the same problem, I also did remove all the files. When I ran their (ACRONICS) stytem check it had no problem finding my exterior WD hard drive where it had made previous files....but now it cant find it. This has been a herky jerky program since i first downloaded it. When it tried to start a backup today it ran 11 hours "calulating time remaining" and did squat.

Is there a line where I can get my money back?

Attachment Size
365857-130312.jpg 59.22 KB
Legend

Kenneth, the main reason why you may see an extended period of time for 'calculating time...' is because of an issue with the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service VSS which is being used under the covers to create a snapshot of the data being backed up.

Please see post: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/45832#comment-346558 from Acronis Expert Support Slava who advised on how to disable VSS on a per task basis which will help prove whether it is VSS that is causing this delay.

Beginner

read the whole list of problems with this latest issue of 2016.

Acronis sold this to me as a complete and workable program for me to back up my hard drive. I'm not a computer expert and have no intention of digging into and changing anything I don't understand., thats was Acronis job in the first place BEFORE they put this bag of worms on the market.

would you buy a new pc and then learn you are expected to finish sodering the motherboard? I think not

I want a working program as advertised.....or show me where i get my hard earned money back.

Legend

Kenneth, if you are experiencing a Microsoft VSS issue when using Acronis True Image, then this same issue may very well impact on any other backup program that you use on your computer and is outside of the control of the Acronis program to resolve.  This does not make Acronis 'a bag of worms' - it just indicates that there is this issue on your computer.

Have you tried using the Windows 7 Backup program which will also use Microsoft VSS?

Sorry but your analogy to soldering the motherboard is akin to saying you would buy a new printer when the set of ink cartridges it came with run out.  
All computer systems require some maintenance over time, whether due to use or error - I personally would have had a very different career for over 30 years in technical support if this wasn't the case.  Mind you, I am very happily retired these days and content with helping friends & family with their computer problems, along with volunteering on this user forum.

Forum Member
Comments: 33

Hi Kenneth,

Just a thought but it may help.

Windows, for some unknown reason, occasionally "forgets" my external  "I" drive where I back up to.

Hence, Acronis cannot find it.

Upon checking in "My/Computer" with the external drive running, there's no listing of the "I" drive.

Just "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H" & "J"...which includes my 3 DVD burners.

I had to go into Disc Management & re-name that drive, coz the drive letter was missing.

This may be why Acronis could not find it.

Just a thought. :)

Stay safe.

Beginner

Rajah

Thanks for your tip, but, I know it can find my hard drive because I've run their systems report (Acronis) and when it came to save it went directly to and opened my WD external Hard Drive.

All these problems started for me with the up dates of 2916 they have been sending out.

Again Thanks

Beginner

Rajah

Thanks for your tip, but, I know it can find my hard drive because I've run their systems report (Acronis) and when it came to save it went directly to and opened my WD external Hard Drive.

All these problems started for me with the up dates of 2916 they have been sending out.

Again Thanks

Beginner

From reading all the problems that others are having, not only myself, with the new and improved 2016 it is a bag of worms. It all falls at their feet because the implication of an up and running program was in all their advertisment for it. I'm no computer wizz I have no intention of opening up this or that to get a program working when it is the companies resonablity to make sure it does before unleasing it onto the public. And I disagree with your anology because I EXPECT THE INK TO RUN OUT.... I dont....... EXPECT A ADVERTISED PROGRAM TO FAIL RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE.

I to am retired, and, if some form of help from someone in ACRONIS isnt forthcoming my new career path will be on face book letting people know how Acronis treats its customers

Legend

Kenneth, if you feel so strongly about this product then this is not the place to make that known as it is just a user forum with no guarantee that the people at Acronis who need to respond to or hear your comments will do so.

Please submit your comments using the Feedback tool in the Help section of the GUI and reference this forum post as needed.  Alternatively, use the following article 18623: How to get Technical Support: Tips, Tricks and Useful Information for other methods of contacting Acronis if you want to seek a refund.

Beginner

Hahahahah!!!!

We all know anout their support (30day WOW).....

I will give you a full run down onmy problem....I bought the program around mid May and aftergetting used to it it worked fine, it did what it was supposed to and I had no problem.....

That ended when they upgraded it.....thats when all the trouble started. From what Ive read its not just me its a lot of folks who have had the same trouble, you should know because you've posted on that forum with Acronics answer. 

Well I think that I/We should not have to go and repair their foul ups. Point the way to the program I paid for that worked with problem. Seems like an easy way out for them...... like Isaid being retired any expence that doest pay off is a waste of hard cash.

Eitrher fix me up...........or point me to the line to get my money back

PS I have a clickfree  that works just fine ....in answer to your question about other download problems

Legend

Kenneth, sorry but please see the statement below which is taken from the document I referenced in my last post about this forum:

Forum is not a primary support channel
It’s designed mainly for sharing experience, collecting feedback and joint Community efforts for addressing technical issues
See Acronis Forum Terms of Use.
We’re still doing our best to address as many problems reported as possible. 
We still recommend contacting support directly in case of emergency.

You said: "Eitrher fix me up...........or point me to the line to get my money back"

I cannot help to "fix you up" if you refuse to accept any advice being offered because as you stated again: you "have no intention of opening up this or that to get a program working when it is the companies resonablity to make sure it does before unleasing it onto the public."

The link in my previous post is intended to point you to the line to get your money back though I have no way to offer any guarantee that you will.  I am just another user in this forum, like yourself, though my experiences with the product obvioulsy differ widely to yours.  The upgrades have all gone smoothly without error for me and all is working as expected for me.

Beginner

Well it seems like your holding the dirty end of the stick, feel sorry for having to deal with people like me but, as they say the bad comes along with the good.

Remeber this when you take your car in for repairs and you KNOW just KNOW deep down inside that what ever the repair man is telling you....you just got ..(fill in anything that suits you).

Beginner

Steve and Kenneth -- Thank  you for your posts.

I sent the system report to Acronis as Steve suggested.  Now I will be trying the recommended fix.  Since I have to do a few backup sequences to know if the fix works, it will probably be a week or two before I get a feeling of confidence in any working fix.

If Acronis gets back to me with anything you would want to know, I will be sure to  post it here.  Thanks, Steve!

Kenneth:

I wouldn't fight with Steve because he is just volunteering his time to help us out.  I appreciate that, and I think you do too.  

I do like your term "herkey jerkey" though.  I may have been one of the first ATI users, back in the  80s.  I used it for about 4 years and it worked beautifully the  whole time.  I loved that program.  I stopped using it because my version became obsolete and I was too cheap to upgrade.  I reverted to just backing up my data.

After losing my system a couple of times, I decided to go back to my old friend, but unfortunately it isn't as friendly as it once was.  I agree with some of your opinions, but let's not take it out on Steve.  We need guys like him.

Beginner

Gentlemen and Ladies

I'm sure you must all understand that my ire is not aimed at Steve as a person. Unfortunitly Steve has the target on his back with the Acronis shield on his Avitar. Just like when you call the cable company,you dont hate the operator your frustrated by the company and the operator gets caught in the cross fire.....my ire is not for not Mr. Steeve but he is the only conduit for our collective problems.

Steve if i stepped on your toes I did not wish to....

Legend

Gary, thank you for your words - they are appreciated.

Kenneth, life is far too short to let words cause a problem and I have far too thick a skin and a good sense of humour!  I am happy to help any of the people posting to the forums.  

On a point of note, the Acronis shield / Avatar is exactly that - I have no direct involvement with Acronis, am not in receipt of any payment from them for my contribution in the forums - the only benefits for any of the MVP's is the recognition plus access to some private forums which allow us to have a little insight to some of the plans that the Acronis Support and Developers are working on, plus the opportunity to contribute our suggestions to the same.  MVP's also are given some free licenses to some of the Acronis software products via our accounts to enable us to test problem scenarios etc.  All such testing is done on our own personal computer systems and in our own time.

Beginner

Steve:

As you suggested, I deleted all the files in C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Database.  I have not had the problem “Can’t find version 1” since, but I am not sure I had the problem prior to deleting the files. 

I am not sure because:  1) The problem is intermittent anyway and 2) The last thing I did before deleting those files was to delete C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Database\archives.xml, which I got from another forum for an older version.  In the past, it seems to solve the problem for a while. 

Please give me some feedback on the following:

• What if I just ignore the dialogs I get with the error “Can’t find version [number]”?  The backups are scheduled to occur when I am asleep, so the errors all get ignored anyway.   If ATI finds a “good” backup file (one that ATI can recognize), the new backup proceeds to fruition, including the verify and in spite of the errors. When this happens, however, the backup file(s) ATI could not find is/are still in their proper place along with the “good” backup file(s).  ATI doesn’t delete the “bad” backup files even though they are sitting right next to the backup it could find, and even though ATI knew all about the files a few days ago and considered them good.  I could just go with the new backup and count my blessings, but I hate to have to go back every so often and manually delete the “bad” files that ATI decided it can’t find.  If I delete the wrong file, I could create a mess, but I am willing to operate that way if Acronis is motivated to come up with a fix.  I also wonder if I can trust the new backup file since it was generated when there was obviously something wrong.
  • Something weird happened when I implemented your suggestion.  ATI seemed to function normally, but the backup files it created were assigned a creation date and a modified date of January 1, 2015.  I went back to my Recycle bin and restored the files in C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Database.  The next backup was given the proper date and there were no error messages. 

I seem to be OK now, but I know that problem is still in there.  Sorry for the wordiness, but I am trying to provide all the clues I can.

Legend

Gary, if your backup task continues after posting the 'Can't find version number...' and it reports the result as being successfull, then I would be tempted to accept it as being good until proven otherwise.  I would recommend using the Log File Viewer app to check the logs to confirm the result status.

The creation / modified date being set to January 1, 2015 is very strange and I have no explanation that comes to mind for why this should be!

The only comment I would make here is that if deleting any Acronis database files / folders, it is best to ensure that all the Acronis Services and Processes are not active to avoid any contention or locks being encountered.  It may well be advisable to restart the system too after doing this.

Beginner

I have the log file viewer ap and I like it, but I use the email option and it pretty much does the same thing without having to open the ap.

I agree with your comment on deleting files.

I will back off for a while, and hope for the best.

You look too young to be retired.  I'm retired too.  You have to be to in order to have the time to make use of software like this.  But nobody tells me I look too young to retire.  I once was handsome too.

Thank you for your efforts!!!

Beginner
Comments: 2

FWIW, I posted this to Acronis as Feedback:

True Image 2016  bug:

I have six disks in the backup list. When I right click them to validate, I get "Cannot Find Version 1".  All are Full backups. All .tib files have "v1" in their name.  

Two of these disks have only one file in their archive folder, and these are found and can be validated. The other four have a few past versions there, and these are Not found.  All file names are like for example:

"G:\Z77\C-Win7\SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series_full_b20_s1_v1.tib"

Other older version file names may say b30, b31, b32, but all say "v1".  I do not know what the b30 or s1 is, that's something True Image does.  

But Validate says it cannot find these, I suppose meaning the latest of them.  That would clearly seem to be a True Image bug, it cannot find the files that it created.

It can find the file if only one .tib file is in that folder.

Is there some option to change the file name to be something that True Image can find again?

Legend

Wayne, there is some confusion over this type of error message, i.e. "Cannot Find Version 1" - this has nothing to do with seeing _v1.tib at the end of any of the file names, but rather is referring to the Backup sequence part of the file name, i.e. _B1_

The real issue here is that the Acronis Database tracks all backup versions created by any task so if a user manually deletes any files from their backup location using such as Explorer, then the information in the Database gets out of sync with the files remaining.

To overcome this problem, you can take either of two approaches:

1. Validate the backup task and for each pop-up error message, take the Ignore option which will try to reconcile the Database information and remove the error entry.
  2. Use the 'Clone settings' option for the task which will create a duplicate task with the same name but prefixed by (1). Next, take the Delete option for the original task but only remove the task settings, which will also delete any reference to the task from the database. Finally, rename the duplicate task to remove the prefix (1) and point this to a different Destination folder if you have kept any files from the original task.  Any validation of those original files will now only work against the files still present and not look for others referenced in the Database as there are none.

Ideally, Acronis would recommend that users use the Automatic Cleanup rules to manage backup files, which would also update the database information when any are deleted, and thus avoid this type of issue.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner
Comments: 2

Thanks Steve. You imply there must be cases and/or procedures that work, but it's clear from the many complaints that many cases don't work.

In my case, all of the files are Full backups. There is no prior history that could be of any interest There is no previous file that can have any meaning or use.   I have the last Full backup file, and I'd to use it, but True Image cannot find it.  It can browse to it and let me click it, but it still cannot find it then.   To me, that seems a big problem. What's the point of backing up if True Image cannot find the existing Full backup file?

Yes, I do routinely manually delete the files after they are 3 or 4 versions old (and always have), which you say is causing the problem. However, these are full backup files, so of what possible interest can older files possibly be? .I have no interest in archiving all of my past backup history.  And in my six disk examples (in six different backup folders), these all say b8 or b34 or something, and there is no b1 file, which would be of absolutely no interest to me anyway. True Image can still find the two cases when there there is only one file remaining (and prior files had in fact been deleted). It cannot find the four cases when there is more than one file remaining (current Full, and a previous full backup or two). IMO, there is absolutely no difference in any procedure, except the difference that I deleted all but one file in the two cases that work, and left a few old ones in the problem cases. No doubt there may be more to it, but that's how I see it.

Again, I have absolutely no interest in the older files it may seek, I want to use the one last Full  backup file, the one I can see is present. That does not seem much to ask of backup software.  I don't remember any such problem in the past with older revisions, this seems something new in recent years. I'd like them to fix it so it would work.  Possibly they have done something? 2018 10640 has to click Try Again more than once, but then it appears to go, which was a surprise.

Legend

Wayne wrote: "Yes, I do routinely manually delete the files after they are 3 or 4 versions old (and always have), which you say is causing the problem. However, these are full backup files, so of what possible interest can older files possibly be? "

Sorry Wayne, but as previously advised, when you manually delete backup files, regardless of these all being full backups, you leave behind information about those files in the Acronis Database which is used by the ATI application running within Windows.

This has been the case across many different versions going back for many years where a Database has been used to track version chain files.

Installing the latest 2018 build 10640 version will not change this behaviour, so either you need to cause the database to be reconciled / cleaned to match the files that remain in your task backup location, or else you should use the automatic cleanup options provided for your task.