Skip to main content

Cleanly Remove True Image 2016 AND Seagate DiskWizard

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Hi,

I installed Seagate DiskWizard on Windows 8. The PC was then upgraded to Windows 10. I was suitably impressed with DiskWizard (and Norton Ghost is incompatible with Windows 10) that I then removed DiskWizard and installed Acronis TrueImage 2016.

However, When I dould click a *.tib file created by True Image Windows wants to open the file with DiskWizard even though I have de-installed DiskWizard, so the associated DiskWizard image doesn't physically exist. Windows does not show an association of *.tib with any software when I look in Control Panel, and I can't find anything relating to '.tib' in the registry. I am unable to associate True Image with *.tib files - when I specify True Image as the executable, just True Image starts when I double click a tib file rather than being able to explore it. I have installed True Image on another Windows 10 PC which never had DiskWizard and True Image works fine.

I want to cleanly de-install Diskwizard and TrueImage and then re-install TrueImage. I have found many Registry entries for Seagate that still exist even though I deinstalled DiskWizard, so these are certainly going to go, but I don't know how 'deeply' these 2 pieces of software are embedded within Windows.

Could anyone please provide instructions on how to remove all traces of DiskWizard and True Image from a Windows 10 PC - I expect they will be the same apart from registry entries being listed under different headings.

Will I hit any licensing issues if I install True Image again?

I need to perform this same operation on 3 Windows 10 PCs.

Many thanks.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8257

Anthony,

I cannot speak for Disk Wizard except for using some third party uninstalled like Revo to clean it out of the system.  As for True Image visit the link below for a cleanup tool to do the job.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/48668

Beginner
Comments: 1

Thanks Enchantech for the link to cleanly remove True Image.

In the end, I did not have to go that far. For anyone who has similar issues, the solution was to remove from the registry:

1) All references to Seagate (excluding references to HDD driver software),
2) All references to Discwizard,
3) [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tib_auto_file]
4) Within [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts] replace "tib_auto_file_.tib"=dword:00000000 with "tibfile_.tib"=dword:00000000
5) Within [HKEY_USERS\xxxxx\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.tib\OpenWithProgids] replace "tib_auto_file"=hex(0): with "tibfile"=hex(0):
6) Reboot PC.

Items 3 to 6 were key to success.

Note that I fully de-installed Discwizard before installing True Image. Given the huge number of Seagate/Discwizard entries that need removing in steps 1 and 2 above it is clear that Discwizard removal is sub-optimal.

These steps should also help someone cleanly remove Diskwizard.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8257

Thanks for posting back your solution.  It very well may indeed help another user with removing Seagate Diskwiard software from there system.

Glad to see you got it sorted.