Skip to main content

Error handling repeat attempts will not stop!!

Thread needs solution
DJK
Forum Member
Comments: 35

I recently installed the update to my Acronis 2016.  A couple of times now I have unplugged the external hard drive so it was not available to do the backup, which caused Acronis to retry the backup continuously, sending me an email every 9 minutes (78 emails).  The first time this happened, the error handling settings did not have "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" ticked.  So, I changed the settings to repeat the attempt 1x.  Didn't help.

If one clicks on the question mark for error handling, it indicates for "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" that "This option is not available, when you backup up your data to a USB flash drive or USB hard drive.  I am backing up to a USB hard drive, so logic would say that repeat attempts are not available, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

I bought new larger external hard drives because Acronis refused to delete older backups to make room for a new backup, and this was happening then, although the repeated attempts were not as frequent.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening in the future, besides the obvious one of making sure the external hard drives are plugged in?  I'd be much happier if the backup would just fail, then try again at the next scheduled time!!!

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 27768

Hello DJK,

I setup a test of this scenario with a USB hard drive and then ran an initial backup to it successfully. I used the Error Handling options as shown in the screen shot 1.

I then safely removed the USB drive and then clicked on Back up now for the same task and got an immediate error as shown in screen shot 2.

Next I looked at my Scripts folder to check the UUID name of my test task.  Screen shot 3.

Finally, I ran the Scheduler Manager utility program and issued a Get List command which showed that Acronis has added an entry for my UUID task name as a scheduled task to handle the error handling option I choose, i.e. to retry the backup task 1 time after a delay of 1 hour. Screen shot 4.

Attachment Size
357442-128866.png 7.06 KB
357442-128869.png 9.88 KB
357442-128872.png 17.01 KB
357442-128875.png 7 KB
DJK
Forum Member

Hi Steve,

That's very interesting.  However, I can't find a "Scripts" folder related to Acronis on my C drive - where would I find this?

For some reason I hadn't thought of providing a long period of time before a repeated attempt (fuzzy brain these days), so I've now changed it to 12 hours.

When all this is happening overnight, of course, my computer is unattended, so I have it set to not show messages and dialogs while processing.  Tonight I'll have to come back to it after a while to see what's happening - but of course I'll unplug the external hard drive first so that it will test things.

Cheers,

DJK

DJK
Forum Member

One thing I forgot to mention - almost every time I open Acronis, even after I've just been in there and closed it again, I get a "Report a problem to Acronis" window that pops up.  I have completed the report a few times, but now I usually just close it, open Acronis again, and it works.

Legend

The Scripts folder can be found at C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts but this may be hidden on some systems, if so, you will need to change the Explorer folder view options to show hidden files & folders.

The Acronis Scheduler Manager utility is described in KB document: 1859: Acronis Scheduler Manager - I meant to put a link to this in my earlier post.

For the 'Report problem to Acronis' window pop up, can you post a screen shot of this - I haven't seen any other posts that mention anything like this?

DJK
Forum Member

Once I showed hidden files, I could get as far as the TrueImageHome folder, but there was no Scripts folder.  I've attached screenshots of that and the pop-up window.

I'll review the Scheduler Manager information - thanks for the link.

Attachment Size
357454-128878.jpg 72.96 KB
357454-128881.jpg 56.14 KB
Legend

Sorry but you have not followed the correct path for the Scripts folder.

It is  C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts

Your screen shot shows C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome which is why there is no Scripts folder.

For the 'report a problem' issue, please can you zip the contents of the Logs folder from the same path as Scripts, i.e. from C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs so that we can take a look to see if there are any clues to what the unexpected error might be?

DJK
Forum Member

You are so correct! :(

Zip file of logs is attached.

Thanks for looking at this!

Attachment Size
357472-128887.zip 4.69 MB
Legend

Thanks for the zip file - it shows that you have been using Acronis for a very long time!

One more request please, can you rename the current Logs folder to Logs.old so that we can see only the most recent logs to see which messages are still being reported rather than some which date back to 2014.

You will need to stop all the Acronis Services and Processes / Programs to allow the rename as some of the files in the folder may be locked otherwise.  

To stop the Services, click on Start then type Services.msc either directly or at the Run prompt.  Choose this when it shows in the search results, then stop the 4 Acronis Services as per the link above.

To stop the Processes / Programs, right-click on the bottom status bar and select Windows Task Manager, then find and stop each active Acronis program shown (right-click on the program name, then on End Task)  
Note: You can also access Services from the Task Manager, on the Services page tab.

After the Logs folder is renamed, restart the Acronis Services then relaunch the main program.

Note: While looking at Services, please check to see if the RPC Service (RpcSs) is running or not?  I am seeing error messages suggesting that this service is not running which then causes the Acronis Sync Service to fail.

Please collect a new zip of the Logs folder after starting Acronis again.

DJK
Forum Member

I've attached the new log, as well as a screenshot of the services related to RPC - I don't see the exact one you named, but one is disabled.

Thanks again!

Attachment Size
357478-128890.zip 2.23 KB
357478-128893.jpg 102.56 KB
Legend

Thanks for the new logs zip file - they show only normal / expected messages, i.e. that you haven't activated the trial Acronis Cloud subscription - not an error!

The services image shows that the RPCSS service is started and there wasn't a new Monitor.log created / included in the logs file, so perhaps that was an old error too.

At this point, I think that you have an answer for the original problem with the Error Handling settings set to retry after 12 hours to stop the repeated error messages being given.

The other problem with the 'report to Acronis' would need further investigation but might be easier to suggest doing a clean install if it becomes too much of a nuisance for you.

Perform a clean install of ATIH 2016

First uninstall the program via the Control Panel (or use an uninstaller such as Revo).

Run the Acronis Cleanup Tool (link in my signature below), then restart the computer.
Note: The KB document for the Cleanup Tool refers to checking for entries in the Windows registry - I have ignored this step on the occasions I have used it with no detriment, though if making changes to the registry, I strongly advise either exporting the registry before the change(s), or create a System Restore point, or image the drive for protection.

Reinstall the ATIH software (download a fresh copy from your Acronis Account if needed or if you don't have the latest build version installer).  Run the install as an Administrator (right-click on the installer to take this option).

Note 1: The cleanup tool will remove all your backup tasks and task history.  If you want to protect this information, then open C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\ in Windows Explorer - this may be hidden on some systems - if so, go to the Folder option in the View pane and enable hidden files & folders).

Save a copy of the Database and Scripts folders to another location to restore back later.

Note 2: In order to restore the above folders & contents, you must stop all Acronis Services & Programs else you will encounter locked files in the Database folder.

DJK
Forum Member

Hi Steve,

I now realize that I didn't run the Acronis Cleanup Tool.  However, I uninstalled using Revo, and it showed it was eliminating a huge amount of data, so will that do the same thing?

I did copy and restore the database and scripts folder.

First I tried to create a new backup that would only back up one folder, and selected under backup scheme to save it, and gave it a name, but for some reason it wouldn't save.  I finally gave up on this.

I then set the Saturday backup to a scheduled start of 11:15 am, and detached the external hard drives.  At 11:30 am, Acronis still said "Backing up", and "calculating time remaining".  I finally stopped the process at 11:35 am.

Under Advanced Settings in the Acronis Schedule tab, I see that there is an option "Run when the current device is attached". I've never seen this before - perhaps I just missed it.  This wasn't ticked, so I've now ticked it.

When I opened Acronis again after stopping the backup and then closing it, I got the "Report a problem" popup again.

I've attached the logs zip file from today in case they may be enlightening.
I really appreciate the time you've taken with this.  I'm hoping that either this is fixed, or I always have the hard drives attached in the future!

Attachment Size
357688-128935.zip 180.62 KB
Legend

Using Revo to uninstall should be fine as an alternative to the Acronis Cleanup tool.

The logs show the same two errors are occurring repetively for Sync Agent Service and RPC Server:

id=23; level=4; module=402; code=35; date/time=14/05/2016 18:46:47
          message=Sync Agent service error. Try to restart your computer.;
id=24; level=4; module=0; code=65520; date/time=14/05/2016 18:46:47
          message=The RPC server is unavailable

These are from the Monitor.log file and are just the last two shown and seem to be quite common for some other users too.  See post: https://forum.acronis.com/forum/117750 with the same issue.

The 'Run when the current destination device is attached' is described in the ATIH 2016 User Guide in reference to USB Flash drives  where it states:

• If you schedule a backup to a USB flash drive or validation of a backup that is located on a USB flash drive, one more check box appears: Run when the current destination device is attached. Selecting the check box will let you perform a missed operation when the USB flash drive is attached if it was disconnected at the scheduled time.
  • If you want to regularly back up data located on a removable media (for example USB flash drive) or remote storage (for example network folder or NAS), we recommend that you select the Run when the current source device is attached check box. This is useful because an external storage device may be often unavailable at the scheduled moment of backup. In that case, if the check box is selected, the missed backup operation will start when the device is connected or attached.

As far as the "Report a problem" issue - the only other suggestion would be to check in the Windows Event logs and look for any application errors from Acronis being posted for the date/time when you see the popup message.

To open the Event logs, click on Start and then type Event in the run prompt and click on Event Viewer when shown in the search results.  If you do this after you see the popup, look for entries shown with numbers shown in the Last hour column.

Attachment Size
357706-128941.png 12.7 KB
DJK
Forum Member

My event viewer did show a problem - not positive it was when the "report a problem" window popped up though.  It's attached.  However, I'm not too worried about this, because all I have to do is close the popup and reopen Acronis.

Again, thank you very much for spending all this time on my problem.  Hopefully all will run well tonight.

Attachment Size
357714-128944.jpg 53.63 KB
Frequent Poster
Comments: 566

Hello DJK,

If backups are still hanging at "Calculating time remaining", you can change source data snapshooting mechanism from default VSS to Acronis native snapshotting technology (SnapAPI). For that, check that backup task is stopped (it is frozen, just terminate the process TrueImageHomeService.exe in Windows Task Manager), open C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts and open files there in Notepad, until on 5th line you see the name of the backup task in question. Then click Edit - Replace and replace use_vss="true" with use_vss="false". Save changes and start the backup. Allow backup engine to perform all the required preparations which is usually several minutes, but may take up to 25 minutes in extreme cases. Finally, see if backup proceeds or stilll hangs.

If you submit a support ticket, will be paying support fee and investigation will confirm that the problem has been caused by an issue with the program itself, the fee would be refunded.

Regards,

Slava

DJK
Forum Member

Thanks, Slava - so far things are working well now.  I'll keep your comments for future use if necessary.

RC1
Beginner
Comments: 21

Hi everyone,

Firstly, extremely glad that I found this topic & post recently!

Our business resells Acronis products & we first experienced the above mentioned problem regarding the "Repeat attempt if a backup fails"  function / limitation not working correctly in the 2015 version of Acronis True Image.

We had supplied this software to a large number of customers whereas the backups were set on a schedule with email notifications.

If the customers forgot to connect the correct drive to the computer then the scheduled backups would fail & then often reattempt to re-run the backup continuously regardless of the backup failure reattempt function being selected / enabled for a maximum amount of retries being say 5 reattempts.

I brought this to the attention of Acronis support in mid 2015 & they told me that they wouldn't assist with the problem as the software was not within the "30 day support timeframe" provided with the product which is absolutely ridiculous!

After a lot of persuation & heated exchanges trying to make them understand that this was a widespread issue experienced by a large number of our customers & not just limited to one computer & one customer, they (Acronis support) relucatantly agreed to look into the problem.

Weeks went past with no response, then finally they responded to say that as the 2016 version had just been released & that the customers would need to purchase the 2016 version & that they wouldn't be investigating the problem any further. Wow isn't that great customer support!!! Tell the customer(s) that they need to pay for another product to fix the issue.

Obviously as this point I was very frustrated & annoyed at the lack in interest to fix the issue, especially as it was affecting a large amount of our customers.

Previously I had used the Acronis Removal / Cleanup tool to remove the software etc from each of our customer's system & fully reinstalled & reconfigured the backups & schedules from scratch & installed the latest release available from the Acronis website, only to find that the issue would represent itself (if not immediately then not long after). I also tried reinstalling the backup scheduler service & also excluding Acronis from security software with no change in the issue.

At this point I thought that we would wear the problem & start to upgrade our customers to the 2016 version at our cost in an attempt to fix the issue as Acronis obviously did not care about us (the reseller) or our customers, however the first customer that we have upgraded has experienced the exact same issue (continuous retries after backup failure) with the 2016 version this week after forgetting to connect the correct backup drive to the system before a scheduled backup.

The backup failed & has continously retried for 30+ times even though the reattempt setting is set at 5 reattempts max! Therefore a huge amount of email notifications have also been distributed (each one after each failed attempt) & the customer is furious!

Also when this occurs (continuous retries after failure), I have found that the scheduled backups are then often thrown out & the following scheduled backups do not always run when they are scheduled to & instead start at random times not to the set schedule.

I feel that I am wasting my time fully removing the software again & recreating all settings & schedules for all our customers as history has shown that the issue usually repeats itself.

Any thoughts or ideas?? Surely there are more people that are experiencing this issue! Acronis need to start offering decent support & listen to their resellers in order to work together!

I am at the end of my tether & ready to move to another backup solution as Acronis is obviously not reliable & plagued with problems which they are not interested in listening & rectifying, rather more interested in telling the customers to purchase more of their software!

Legend

RC1,

Welcome to this user forum.  Assuming that the problem you are seeing for your customers is the same issue that the original poster reported in this forum thread, then there is a simple remedy to resolve this as indicated in my initial reply at post #1 of this thread.

In essence, the solution is to set a realistic error handling retry time interval by changing the time delay from being in Seconds to be in either Minutes or Hours depending on whether you expect a retry to be any more successful than the first attempt, especially if the main cause is that the customer has not remembered to connect the backup target drive to allow the task to succeed.

For the original poster, he changed the error handling retry values to try again after a delay of 12 Hours and this immediately stopped the continuous retry / errors / messages.

I suspect that there is a 'bug' here in that the software should not allow a retry time which is impossible to be satisfied, or which a user could not respond within without requiring super-human speed!

See the original screen shot that I posted with the error retry handling shown as 1 hour.

RC1
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your reply & information & time.

Yes I did read your suggestion & comments above regarding extension of the retry timeframe & looked at your screen shots.

Whilst this is a possible workaround which may alleviate the continual retries within a short timeframe, it still remains that yes there is likely a problem or bug in the software (which Acronis support appear to not care about & not want to rectify) which ignores the number of attempts setting imposed in the backup profile.

Therefore if the problem with the software exists which allows for continual reattempts of the scheduled backup to occur (even if the limited number of attempts setting is imposed but ignored for whatever reason), extending the timeframe between retries will only likely drag out the problem to reduce the number of email notifications & not actually solve the issue.

Why have the repeat attempt retry option & number of attempts allowed to be limited if it doesn't work properly as this what we are mainly frustrated about. That in my view is like buying a car that is designed to go in reverse when required & has the "setting" to do so but for some reason doesn't when you apply that "setting".

Some of our customers are using older versions of Acronis (e.g. 2012) on Windows 7 whereas the retry attempt limit setting works fine.

Most of the backup systems using Acronis that we configure for our customers are done so in a manner as described below;

- Two external USB hard drives which are labelled for each day & rotated daily (Monday - Saturday), two drives are used for data redundancy.

- Schedule set to run daily (Monday - Saturday) in the evening or early morning when data / computer is no longer in use.

- Upon successful completion of the scheduled backup the computer system is shut down automatically (as per "Computer shutdown" option in Acronis settings) so that the system is not left running unnecessarily & the customer can turn on the computer when they require it the following day.

- Email notifications to advise customer of backup events & importantly if the backup has been successful.

Our customers usually do not understand & / or do not want to understand the backup system & settings etc & rely on us to set everything up for them so that it works reliably to achieve the required outcome (backing up their data). They become almighty angry with us when it doesn't work correctly as described with the continual retries & heaps of email notifications just because they forgot to connect the drive & especially when they are aware that Acronis should stop attempting the backup after the set number of retries (e.g. 5 attempts).

Our customers want the backup system to attempt the backup during the night & if it fails then to only retry a certain number of times (as per the option in the "Error Handling" settings), not to ignore the retry settings & keep trying regardless.

The problem also is that if the backup continues to reattempt the scheduled backup & if the backup is finally able to successfully complete the following day, the computer will then automatically shut down which may be during the day when the customer doesn't want it shut down due to needing it turned on for whatever reason. The customers would rather that the backup gives up trying to backup after the set number of attempts & therefore that backup is skipped rather than the knock on effects being experienced.

Also is the problem as previously mentioned whereas I have found that the scheduled backups are often thrown out of schedule (after one of the scheduled backups has problems completing due to whatever reason & has been constantly reattempting the backup) & the following scheduled backups do not always run when they are scheduled to & instead start at random times not to the set schedule (e.g. schedule was set at 10pm but for some reason it decided to start randomly at 8am the following morning) or don't start at all due to the previous scheduled backup still trying to run.

I have seen the comment in the manual & software settings for Acronis 2016 etc under "Error handling" which states "This option is not available, when you back up your data to a USB flash drive or USB hard drive." for which I am not exactly sure what part or setting this is referring to exactly & / or how this affects USB drives? If this is an acknowledgement that the 'Error handling" settings do not work correctly with USB drives then this is a very poor way of describing it & why has it worked fine with earlier versions of Acronis?

The amount of time that we have wasted on these issues has been tremendous & far outweighs the income related to the sale & implementation of their software! We are working at considerable financial loss trying to keep our customers happy with a product that doesn't function correctly!

How keen do you think Acronis support are to investigate this issue & rectify it based on the lack in interest & support that they have shown towards us (the reseller) & our customers previously? Shows a lack of appreciation towards the people who help to sell their software & keep the company operating....

Legend

RC1, as a user forum we have no guarantee that Acronis support will ever see this particular thread.

I would recommend contacting Acronis Support again as described in article: 18623: How to get Technical Support: Tips, Tricks and Useful Information and use the Priority Pay Per Incident Support options as below:

4.    Priority Pay Per Incident Support
- Related to the technical issues with the product
- Priced per incident
- Valid for 1 incident only
- 24x7
- Provided via e-mail, chat, phone
Response time: 
- 1 business day
- immediate via chat
- immediate via phone

This will cost a one-off fee of $20.00 as far as I am aware and this would be refunded if Acronis accept this as a software defect / bug.  I would think that this might be $20 well invested on behalf of your customers, even if the fix would be released in a future version of ATIH such as 2017 - it could possibly also be included in any further build update to the 2016 product.

On a separate / related aspect of your described customer setup configuration, where you have said:

Most of the backup systems using Acronis that we configure for our customers are done so in a manner as described below;

- Two external USB hard drives which are labelled for each day & rotated daily (Monday - Saturday), two drives are used for data redundancy.

- Schedule set to run daily (Monday - Saturday) in the evening or early morning when data / computer is no longer in use.

- Upon successful completion of the scheduled backup the computer system is shut down automatically (as per "Computer shutdown" option in Acronis settings) so that the system is not left running unnecessarily & the customer can turn on the computer when they require it the following day.

- Email notifications to advise customer of backup events & importantly if the backup has been successful.

If you look in the forum you will see other users who have hit other problems when adopting a similar strategy, in particular, with rotating the target disk drives within a single ATIH 2016 backup task, as each disk drive has a unique identifier (UUID) which is recorded within the Acronis Database and can cause problems when a different UUID is encountered for the task.  This would be a significant problem if you are using incremental backup images and these became mixed between different target disk drives, as the version chain would then be greatly complicated and possibly broken.

There are also other approaches that you can consider with regard to the handling of the missing / non-connected target backup drive(s).

One option is found in the Advanced Schedule options section, if present for your particular target drive:

Run when the current device is attached - see attached screen image.

The other option would be to use the Pre / Post Commands settings found in the Advanced page tab, where you can run a batch command file to test for the presence of the target drive, i.e. test for the presence of a particular file etc, and only run the task if the test is satisfied, otherwise abort the task.  See further screen image.

One last suggestion, perhaps you can schedule a pop-up notice to your customers to remind them to attach the required USB hard drive needed for the nightly backup task activities - this could be outside of the Acronis product using the standard Windows task scheduler.

Attachment Size
363098-129883.png 8.8 KB
363098-129886.png 17.7 KB
RC1
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thanks again for your reply & your assistance / thoughts.

In relation to your response, yes I agree that the $20 would likely be money well spent, however based on the poor customer service experienced previously with Acronis support (especially when they were telling us to purchase more of their software instead of attending to the problem) & the huge amount of time that we spent discussing the issue with them previously to only have them reject further investigation, I am reluctant to go there again in a hurry due to the large amount of time & financial loss that we have suffered throughout this ordeal.

I made the attempt to bring the problem to their attention, to only have them shut me down & "sell" more of their software which is a very disappointing effort.

I thought that I would approach the forum avenue to firstly get the opinion of other Acronis users which are or may be experiencing the same problem & also obtain suggestions.

To clarify the process with dual drives being used & swapped on a daily basis, I should have mentioned that we configure a separate backup profile for each drive so that they are not using the same backup profile & therefore aren't affected by the UUID issue you mentioned.

In regards to enabling the option to Run when the current device is attached, this itself can have unwanted results as some of our customers have other people change over / swap the drives on occasions. E.g. In a home business environment whereas an employee may swap the drives when normally the business owner may swap over the drives. If the employee isn't aware of the previous failure, connecting the drive would likely allow the backup to run at a time which is not suitable & then shut down the computer unexpectedly whilst it is required for shared data via a network or so forth.

There are so many issues with trying to vary the settings to work around this problem which would likely cause further problems for a number of our customers.

The available settings should work as intended, plain & simple.

As mentioned previously, I am at the end of my tether & I am investigating other data backup options as Acronis have let us down too many times when we have tried to do the right thing & have supported & resold their software for many years.

Do you have any thoughts on the comment in the user manual / guide & software settings for Acronis 2016 etc under "Error handling" which states "This option is not available, when you back up your data to a USB flash drive or USB hard drive." for which I am not exactly sure what part or setting this is referring to exactly & / or how this affects USB drives? If this is an acknowledgement that the 'Error handling" settings do not work correctly with USB drives then this is a very poor way of describing it & why has it worked fine with earlier versions of Acronis?

Legend

RC1,

Thank you for your further comments and clarification, in particular, that you are using separate backup tasks when you are swapping disk drives for backups.

On the last paragraph ref "Error Handling" and the message below the point "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" where it states that the option is not available when using USB flash or hard drive.  That is a little puzzling - I have checked back and this statement was introduced with ATIH 2013 as far as the User Guides show, and if the option was not available then I would expect that it should either not be shown or be greyed out as unavailable, whereas I can confirm from testing this myself that the option is available when I have set the backup to one of my USB hard drives.

I have setup a test scenario on a spare system with a task configured to use this 'Repeat attempt' settings where the task is scheduled to run every hour with a single retry after a delay of 30 minutes if the backup fails - which it will because I will disconnect the USB drive to force this.  I have deselected the Run when the current device is connected option to avoid it triggering an immediate backup if I reconnect the USB drive after the initial scheduled backup fails, so that I can check if it does the retry at the 30 minute point.  I will put an update with the test results.

Legend

Ok, my test scenario ran as expected and the error handling options set were executed correctly.

The initial backup task ran at 14:15 local and created a full backup image to my external USB drive.

The next incremental backup task ran at 15:15 local and failed as the USB drive was not connected.
I received an email notification to advise of the backup failure and of when the task would be retried as per my error handling settings - see attached screen shot.

At 15:44 the incremental backup was retried successfully because the USB drive was again connected.

Email notifications were received for both the successful and failed backup task activities.

The only error that I noted in the above was that the pop-up error notice gave the wrong time for when the retry would be restarted.  The image says 15:24 but the task ran correctly at 15:44, or after 30 minutes as configured in the Error Handling options.

So the conclusion here is that this "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" option does work with USB hard drives regardless of what the added note says in the User Guide!  The caveat here as far as I am concerned is that the time delay between reattempts of the failed backup should be realistic, i.e. in minutes not seconds at least.

Attachment Size
363392-129940.png 15.25 KB
Forum Hero
Comments: 9243

If error handling settings where added to an existing task they may not work as expected.  The modification of existing tasks often results in unexpected results.  It is best to create a new task with the desired oprtions preferences set as needed instead of modifiying an existing task as that is the most reliable way to realize the expected result.

RC1
Beginner

Hi Enchantech,

Thanks for your info & input.

The problem described with error handling not funtioning correctly has been experienced with fresh clean installs of Acronis with new tasks created from scratch (no modification to the backup profile / settings after they were first created).

We have experienced issues with modified profiles / tasks as you have mentioned so yes we always create new backup profiles / tasks when changes need to be made or if issues are experienced.

I think from memory that the "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" option is enabled as default when you create a new backup profile / task?

Forum Hero
Comments: 9243

I see, I believe you are correct about the default repeat task setting. 

I understand you have had bad experience with Acronis Support so you may decline my suggestion and I would understand but, if you would take a few minutes and possibly as many of your customers as you can convince to use the in app Feedback tool to report these occurances to Acronis Support that would be a big help.  You have presented the issues here in this Thread perfectly so it  won't take much more than mentioning in Feedback that Support should refer to this Forum thread for details.  A copyy and pste link to the Thread is best case.  You will find the Feedback tool in the Help section of the GUI (open book icon).  It is simple and quite effective in most cases.  As I see it you really have nothing to loose.

RC1
Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

Ok, my test scenario ran as expected and the error handling options set were executed correctly.

The initial backup task ran at 14:15 local and created a full backup image to my external USB drive.

The next incremental backup task ran at 15:15 local and failed as the USB drive was not connected.
I received an email notification to advise of the backup failure and of when the task would be retried as per my error handling settings - see attached screen shot.

At 15:44 the incremental backup was retried successfully because the USB drive was again connected.

Email notifications were received for both the successful and failed backup task activities.

The only error that I noted in the above was that the pop-up error notice gave the wrong time for when the retry would be restarted.  The image says 15:24 but the task ran correctly at 15:44, or after 30 minutes as configured in the Error Handling options.

So the conclusion here is that this "Repeat attempt if a backup fails" option does work with USB hard drives regardless of what the added note says in the User Guide!  The caveat here as far as I am concerned is that the time delay between reattempts of the failed backup should be realistic, i.e. in minutes not seconds at least.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the follow up & results, very interesting. I assume your testing is with the 2016 version?

The repeat attempt time frame between retries as default is 30 seconds by the looks. So yes extending this timetrame to minutes as you have demonstrated may very well alleviate the issue with continual retries.

I have previously (with the 2015 version) seen Acronis software stop the reattempts as normal on one occasion / scheduled backup, but then on another occasion not cease the reattempts correctly.

Also with your test scenario, I am wondering if you had two separate tasks set up like we create for our customers for the two drives, if one of the two scheduled backups fails to complete, will your test scenario show that it may randomly impact the second (next) scheduled backup from commencing? Maybe this will only be the case if the scheduled backup fails & continually reattempts (ignoring the number of attempts set) as per the problem being discussed. I appreciate the time that you have put into this thus far & understand that further testing on your side will take up more of your valuable time so I understand if you cannot spare the time.

However, with the reattempt timeframe being at the default 30 seconds, I think that this may be for the first reattempt, then the following reattempts are set at 10 minutes (by choosing of Acronis) as per email notifications from Acronis as email notifications with times listed show the attempts being 10 minutes apart.

I have seen Acronis provide an on screen message / notification (if you have Acronis dashboard open during the scheduled backup & are watching it carefully when a scheduled backup fails) that it will retry in 10 minutes even though the default reattempt is left at 30 seconds.

I have attached text documents copied from email notifications for one of our customers (which I am also copied into to monitor the situation) who have been experiencing the continual reattempt problem over the last few days which illustrate the notification emails sent & times between a few of the consecutive reattempts (not attaching all of them as there would be heaps!).

The path or drive that this particular scheduled backup is looking for is Z: however this backup was meant to complete on the 30/05/2016 (Tuesday) (Australian date format - Not US format) & it is still running & reattempting on Friday 03/06/2016, you will see that Y: drive is connected as per " Analyzing partition 'Y:'..." in the email notifications as Y: drive is for the scheduled Monday / Wednesday / Friday backups.

So the scheduled backup was meant to complete on Tuesday 30/05/2016 but is was still reattempting through to Friday 03/06/2016.

Even if the computer is powered off or restarted, this often doesn't stop the reattempts, it keeps trying as soon as the system is back in Windows.

The strange thing is that the continual attempts may go on for 50 times or more (ignoring the 5 reattempt limitation in place) then stop all of a sudden, then restart again hours later at a seemingly random time & still list in the email notification that it was "started by schedule" even though it is not the scheduled day or time for that particular backup.

Attachment Size
363584-129952.txt 2.83 KB
363584-129955.txt 2.83 KB
363584-129958.txt 2.83 KB
Legend

RC1,

My test scenario was done with ATIH 2016 and further testing done after my previous post demonstrated that the number of retries configured for the reattempt settings was clearly ignored and that further attempts were triggered despite setting only one retry.

I found that with a retry delay of 30 minutes set, a reattempt was triggered after 29 minutes, then repeated after 29 minutes.  This was complicated by the fact that I had set a test schedule to backup every hour, so the net effect was to fail at the first hourly backup, retry at 29 & 58 minutes, backup on schedule at the next hour (i.e. 2 minutes later), then repeat this pattern with retries at 29 & 58 etc.

I have raised this as an issue in the private MVP forums to try to bring some more focus on it, and I will also use the Feedback tool from the test system I used to report it along with a reference to this forum thread directly to Acronis.

I have not tried to recreate your scenario with two separate tasks to two different external drives - that shouldn't cause any issues between the tasks but where a problem may arise is with the restriction that only one Acronis task can be active at any time, thus if you get a contention between two tasks, then one of them will be 'queued' which can have a further knock-on effect, especially if reattempts are being actioned with minimal delays.  These active and queued tasks are all being added to the Acronis Scheduler which will retain those tasks across a system shutdown / restart.

RC1
Beginner

Hi Steve,

That's fantastic that you have been able to see & reproduce the problem yourself! Best news I have had all week (all year when in regards to Acronis)!

I greatly appreciate the time that you have put into this in order to try & reach a resolution!

What you are saying in regards to the queuing makes total sense & is logical when a scheduled backup fails but keeps reattempting it still takes priority over other scheduled backups or tasks.

I also noticed that a new build (# 6571), was released only in the last couple of days, however nothing in listed the "fixed issues" appears to relate to the problems we are experiencing.

I look forward to hearing more about this in the near future in an attempt to roll out a build to our customers that has this issue resolved.

A big thanks once again.

RC1
Beginner

Further to the above as a note to Acronis support when they refer to these posts, we have a heap of Acronis 2016 upgrades sitting here that we purchased for our customers in an attempt to rectify the issue discussed when we experienced it with the 2015 version.

As we have found that the issue still exists in the 2016 version, we do not want to roll these 2016 upgrades out to our customers until this issue has been resolved & a new build released with the fix(es) incorporated as we feel it would be appropriate for the issue to be resolved in the 2016 version as there is no way that we are going to purchase 2017 upgrades at more cost due to no fault of our own.

We have a large number of customers being impacted by this issue so it is a priority in our view.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8346

RC1, if you haven't yet (even if you have already), please submit feedback through the app and reference this thread as well.  Also, please send a PM to General Manager, Gaidar with this thread as well and mention that you've worked with Enchantec, Steve and me (especially Steve) to verify this issue and explain how it's impacting your customer support as well.  I do hope that he can help prioritize this particular issue with an update before 2016 closes out and/or with the release of 2017 which probably isn't too far off at this point. 

RC1
Beginner

Hi Bobbo_3C0X1,

Thanks for your input & suggestion.

I have sent a message to Gaidar as per your recommendation & he has responded to me to indicate that the engineering leader has been requested to look into the issue.

Can only hope that this is resolved in the 2016 version as we have invested a substantial of money into the 2016 upgrades which were indicated as the "solution" to the problem when I attempted to report the problems back in 2015, even though the "solution" obviously wasn't a solution, almost an excuse to sell more Acronis software with no real benefit as the problem was not resolved.

If the issue is not resolved in the 2016 version then I will definitely be taking up the matter with Gaidar to request that Acronis supply free versions of the 2017 version (if problem is resolved) to our affected customers which have the 2015 & 2016 versions of the software as we feel that this would be appropriate for the huge amount of lost time, lost revenue, lost trust & lost repeat business from our customers along with the huge amount of frustration that has been endured throughout this situation.

I can't thank everyone enough for the time & assistance rendered to finally get something rolling & investigated. I know that many of you guys are compensated by Acronis for your time & efforts but it is still appreciated.

It is going to take a lot to restore our trust in Acronis after all of this!

RC1
Beginner

An update....

Have been discussing with gaidar as suggested.

He has indicated that he believes the issue (limitation to backup reattempts not working) is rectified in the 2017 Beta version.

Would any of the Acronis MVP's (e.g. Steve Smith) have the time to test with this version (assuming you have access to it) & advise if they can reproduce the issue or not in this version please?

I would normally attempt to do it, however due to the huge amount of time I have wasted on this over the last 12+ months & amount of lost revenue as a consequence, I cannot afford to put any more time into it at present.

He also mentioned "We are still investigating the issue with scheduled backups, as we had just a few customers reporting the issue in their environment" which to me indicates that either people aren't using this feature, don't understand why the feature isn't working correctly & think that it is their system or setup / configuration or have given up on Acronis & moved to another product (which I am still seriously considering after many loyal years reselling  & supporting Acronis products).

Legend

RC1, I have the 2017 Beta installed on another system but haven't had time to play with it very much yet.

I will try to setup a similar test scenario to the one I used earlier in this thread and feedback if the same issues are happening or have been resolved in the beta.

Legend

RC1, I can now confirm that this issue is NOT resolved in the ATIH 2017 Beta version that I have been testing.

I will post a full problem report in the ATIH 2017 Beta Forum in the hope that the developers will also be able to recreate this and put in a fix before they release the GA version of the product.

Frequent Poster

Hello RC1,

I have notified development team about the issue with the number of reattempts and the note in the user guide.

Thank you for the detailed description of your use case and the patience.

It is possible that the fix for this issue was not integrated into the current Beta version of Acronis True Image 2017, but will be integrated in the next Beta build. It is normal situation that a change in Beta program code is delayed due to additional testing required or dependency on other code modifications that could not be completed yet due to any reasons.

Regards,

Slava

Frequent Poster

Hello All,

The fix for this issue has been moved from Beta versions to the release version, expected this August-September.

Regards,

Slava

RC1
Beginner

The sooner the better as we have (as the reseller) & our numerous customers have had absolutely enough of the problem!!!

This has been far from a pleasant experience for us as an Acronis reseller & very unpleasant experience for our customers!

This has lead to massive loss of revenue for our business, wasted a hell of a lot of my time resulting in more lost revenue & also created loss of trust & future business as our customers who we had supplied your software to no longer rely on us or want to use our services due to your product being problematic & causing them more problems than it was solving!

You can't tell me that the 2015 & 2016 versions of the software were tested properly, as this is a major feature of the software which is failing to function correctly!!

You may very well say that you can't test everything & I understand that, however this is an issue which has existed since 2015 & has taken how long to get someone to listen & action it...

What makes it worse is the fact that we had to use the Forums to get something done as Acronis support weren't interested in listening!

As a reseller you (Acronis) abandoned us (the reseller who is supplying your products to end users) & refused to listen to & action our concerns when they were first raised back in 2015. Is that the attitude of a company who appreciates their resellers? One would definitely think not!

Who would blame us for considering abandoning Acronis & using another backup solution from another company after what we have been through...

Very disappointing effort Acronis!!!

RC1
Beginner

It appears that the 2017 version may have been released?

If yes then can someone confirm if all of the above mentioned issues impacting the 2015 & 2016 versions have been rectified in the current release 2017 version so that we can try & move forward instead of sitting around with no resolution?

If the 2017 version has been released & all mentioned issues rectified then why hasn't anyone said anything?

I would hope that the 2017 version has been / will be thoroughly testing to confirm that all of the product & features are fully & reliably operable (unlike the 2015 & 2016 versions).

Thanks.

Legend

RC1, I can now confirm that the error handling / retries issue is resolved in ATIH 2017 having just tested this when testing another problem that was reported in the 2017 forum.

In my test case (see post: http://forum.acronis.com/forum/125087), I attempted to make a simple small backup of some files to the ASZ with no schedule and with the error handling set to 5 attempts with retries set at 30 minutes.

The test failed immediately as per the above post by other users (unable to write to ASZ) and was rescheduled to run 30 minutes later, this was repeated 5 times in total before the task reported that it had failed.  See attached set of 6 logs in zip file.

Attachment Size
387319-132961.zip 5.29 KB
RC1
Beginner

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply & follow up & ongoing time spent assisting with this.

What about error handling / retry issue in 2017 version when scheduling is enabled?

As that is (when scheduling is enabled) where we & our customers were having the most grief (in the 2015 & 2016 versions) & I believe that it may not have been so much of an issue if scheduling was not enabled & backups were started manually (majority of the time our customers want & need the scheduling though & is where the problems were / are being encountered - when scheduling is enabled).

Also we wouldn't always want to extend retry to 30 minutes or longer as this may place the retry attempt or attempts outside the small window for when the backup procedure is suitable without impacting the customer or other tasks in some scenarios if it did happen to run correctly after the first attempt.

I think when you tested the 2016 version previously set to a schedule (your comment # 27 above), the first scheduled backup retry limitation functioned correctly & cancelled the backup attempts as per the set retry limitation but then the next scheduled backup went haywire when it failed & started continuously retrying?

As previously mentioned, the continual retry attempts didn't always occur (retry limitation failing) the first time the scheduled backup failed after the backup profile was created in most cases, it was often an issue that appeared to develop after the scheduled backup failed for a scheduled time later down the track (e.g. days after the previous scheduled backup had failed & cancelled or even the next scheduled backup after the previous backup was successful).

Have you tried a series of scheduled backups in the 2017 version with retry disabled completely & also scheduled backups with retry limitation in place? As you confirmed previously (in the 2016 version), disabling the retry feature was also randomly failing in the 2015 / 2016 versions as with the retry disabled it was still retrying or continuously retrying when it shouldn't have been retrying at all!

If you test scheduled backups in the 2017 version & remove the backup destination randomly (therefore let some backups complete successfully & let others fail) then I would consider that this should indicate if the problem is resolved & whether the backup retry & limitations are working correctly now?

To be honest, after reading the other post that you provided a link for, it appears that more & more people are becoming frustrated with the features of Acronis which are obviously not thoroughly tested before versions are being rolled out.

I know that not everything can be 100% but it is almost like a vehicle manufacturer releasing / selling a new model sports car to its customers without thoroughly road testing it first?

It almost feels like Acronis are leaving much of the testing of their products up to their customers, resellers & MVP's & that is not a good look & not good for future business etc...

Do the higher end more expensive server etc versions of Acronis see more attention to testing etc than that of the lower end products?

Legend

RC1, I haven't had time to extensively test this issue with ATIH 2017 as yet, been busy with family over the past month or more, but will try to do some further tests when I have time.  (Being retired is not all leisure at all!).

I cannot comment about testing with the higher end Acronis products, my own experience is only with the Home products and just as a user myself.

RC1
Beginner

Steve,

I fully understand & I do appreciate your ongoing time which in effect appears that you are largely performing the job of Acronis support.

I don't blame you for having more important things to do than waste your time fighting an uphill battle for something that Acronis has failed to achieve in terms of proper testing & decent support (in my words).

Sorry but the longer this is dragged out the more frustrated I am becoming!

Slava,

You have been rather quiet, can you provide more information on what is happening with the above issues & how they may or may not have yet been rectified in the latest 2017 release as yet?

You mentioned in your comment # 36 that " The fix for this issue has been moved from Beta versions to the release version, expected this August-September." but we are yet to obtain official confirmation of this & it appears that the release version is now "released"?

We have customers more furious than ever with us due to issues with your software & no one can really indicate where things are up to...

How much more time do I have to put into this (leading to more loss of revenue for our business as I should be attending to other work) until we get proper regular updates from Acronis & the issue(s) confirmed as resolved so that we can try & move forward?

Thanks.