Skip to main content

External Hard Drive Full!

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 0

My external hard drive is full - approx. 40 backups of various sizes over a 1 year period. I thought that external backup drive space would automatically be managed. Latest backup failed. HELP

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8337

Hi there.  No, it will not cleanup automatically, you have to setup cleanup tasks in Acronis to manage the space yourself.  AS you have not done this, you can manually delete some backups through Windows file Explorer to free up space.  HOWEVER, you will need to then "validate" the backup script to update the Acronis database.  Basically, when you go to validate, it will tell you that files are missing and ask you to locate them, or ignore them. You would ignore each of the files you manually deleted and when the last one is done, it will start to validate (you cancel validation after that point if you want). 

Attached is a screenshot of where you can enable automatic cleanup moving forward.  PLEASE BE AWARE... once consolodation is enabled, it is based off of version chains  (example:  1 full + 6 incrementals run daily = 7 backups = 1 version chain.... if you set it up this way).  If you modify the task at any point after that, the version chain count gets reset.  So, if you are on incremental 5 out of 6, modify the task and save, then you now have to wait for another 6 incrementals before the chain will be complete.  A version chain is not complete until the next full backup has been successfully completed. So make sure you have enough space to allow for that last full backup when considering how long you're making your version chain and how many version chains you want to keep.

Check out these user guide references:

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2016/#16515.html

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2016/#16143.html

http://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2016/#13712.html

Beginner
Comments: 2

Same problem here. The backup disk is full. Disk cleanup will not remove old backups. Acronis is stuck.

Forum Star
Comments: 3624

Thomas

Please some more information. In the context I assume you are attempting a manual cleanup via the ATI user interface, in which case you should be able to do a manual cleanup provided you have more than one backup chain. If you only have one backup chain, it is far more difficult to reclaim space without completely deleting the existing backup. 

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 2

Yes, I attempted to use Acronis cleanup to delete the older of two chains. The interface would not delete the chain. 

Forum Star
Comments: 3624

That is not something I have seen.

It is possible to delete a chain in Explorer, then select the latest backup file, right click an select Artois the Validate. You will get a series of error messages, click on Ignore. This approach has worked for users who have “accidentally” deleted a backup chain.

There is a remote possibility that things could go very wrong, you could delete there wrong files. So do this at your own risk.

One thing you could try first is to do a repair installation of ATI 2016. Download the full installer file from you Acronis account, the run the file as administrator and when prompted select repair rather than install,

Ian