Skip to main content

full backup or incremental or differential do any of these backup schemes compress .jpg, raw, or .tiff files?

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I am a photographer, and I am backing up to 2 separate external drives. If I am setting up for a new external HD, these images will be restored again.Will any of these backup schemes compress my . jpgs, raws, or .tiffs?

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24801

Millard, welcome to these public User Forums.

The answer to your question is that Acronis will attempt to use the Compression value set for the backup task unless you configure it to not use any compression.

In reality, most images are already in a highly compressed format and there is very little further compression that can be applied.

See the ATI 2016 User Guide information below:

Performance of backup operation

Compression level

You can choose the compression level for a backup:

• None - the data will be copied without any compression, which may significantly increase the backup file size.
  • Normal - the recommended data compression level (set by default).
  • High - higher backup file compression level, takes more time to create a backup.
  • Maximum - maximum backup compression, but takes a long time to create a backup.

The optimal data compression level depends on the type of files stored in the backup. For example, even maximum compression will not significantly reduce the backup size, if the backup contains essentially compressed files, like .jpg, .pdf or .mp3.

You cannot set or change the compression level for a pre-existing backup.

Compression can only be set when a new backup task is created, it cannot be changed once that task has been run and files created.

Beginner
Comments: 2

Thank you again. I understand that .jpg is a compressed file, and if resampled or compressed it could downgrade the quality of the file. I also use Canon Raw .crw & .crw2 which I am not sure can be compressed. I also use .tiff, which to my knowledge cannot be compressed. So, I guess I am only worried about the .jpg files, the others whether incremental or differential should come back to their original size..Am I not correct?

Legend
Comments: 24801

Millard, I am no expert when it comes to how compression works but if there are any concerns over how it is used by Acronis, then I would suggest using the setting of None for backup tasks that are using your image files as the source.  I doubt there would be any significant difference in the output file sizes given the high degree of compression already present in image files.