Skip to main content

Help in Copying SSD 128 GB to 512 GB in Laptop

Thread needs solution
Ken
Beginner
Comments: 3

My current laptop has a 128 GB PCIE SSD. I want to now install a larger 512 GB (or larger) NVME SSD.
There is no hard drive and the HP laptop only boots from the 128 SSD.

I am hoping to copy the exact contents and all partitions(including hidden) to the new 512 GB SSD.
Once this is done I hope that the 512 GB will be exactly the same with more space and the computer will then boot from it. (I would just take out the old SSD and install the new SSD card and I would hope that it works).

How can I do this?? Can I somehow put an image on an external Harddrive and then copy it to the new SSD? I have both Acronis 2016 and 2017 versions. Hopefully any version would do this.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 18934

Ken, when doing any type of disk migration it is always highly recommended that you make a full Disk & Partitions backup of the source drive before doing anything else.  This is your safety net in the event of any issues arising.  The backup should be stored on an external drive.

As your topic deals with migrating NVMe M.2 SSD drives, then the boot mode used for the migration process is very important as any Acronis rescue media should be used in UEFI boot mode to match how your Windows OS also boots in order to support these type of drives.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

To do any direct copy from the 128GB SSD to the new 512GB drive would require a special adapter with which to connect the NVMe drive externally via USB, this would include using the Acronis Clone function.

The safest method of migrating is to create the Acronis rescue media and do a recovery of the full disk backup image to the new SSD when it is installed in place of the old drive inside the laptop.

See KB 58816: Acronis True Image 2017: Creating Acronis Bootable Media - and KB 59184: Acronis True Image 2017: How to create a WinPE-based bootable media for more information on creating the media.

You should test booting from the rescue media to check that you can see the current SSD drive shown as a possible source for making a Backup.  If the SSD is not shown, then you will need to create the WinPE version of the rescue media then test again.

When doing the restore of your backup, this needs to be done as a Disk & Partition restore and at the top Disk selection level.

Please see forum topic: [How to] recover an entire disk backup - and in particular the attached PDF document which shows a step-by-step tutorial for doing this type of recovery / restore.