Skip to main content

How to Restore Files in ATI 2016?

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 0

Since I purchased this Windows10 compatible version five years ago, I have never been able to figure out the user interface. For a disaster-recovery solution, that's like a fire extinguisher or a parachute ripcord with complex operating instructions and a learning curve. A mindset for enterprise-level software certainly, but I don't back up my home computer for a living.

To recover files and folders, the help database itemizes 1., backup mode. 2., select files and folders to recover. 3., press 'recover files'. Presto! But the image they show is of uncompressed files on C: drive. If only Windows itself had some way to 'recover' ordinary files from one place to another...

But recovering files from a .tib? That's apparently not covered. Seriously? I tried, and Acronis responds by backing up the .tib file- a backup of a backup- to the destination. It won't parse any deeper. So I have yet another .tib file, right back where I started.

I tried opening the desired .tib file directly on the Desktop, and copying the needed files from there (there's nothing wrong with the .tib, and Windows can browse it with no problem). 15k was successfully copied after 30m. Only 60 GB to go which I calculate would take a little over three months to complete.

I have to be missing something very basic here, because there's no way this very popular application is so crippled. How do you pull selected files from a backup? Any assistance would be welcome.

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 24096

Michael, welcome to these public User Forums.

I would recommend taking a little time to read through the ATI 2016 User Guide which covers a lot of the basic usage questions in the early sections, and then covers specific topics in their own sections.

For any major recovery operation such as recovering your Windows disk drive, then you need to have created the Acronis Rescue Media before the event, and to understand how to use this in a way that matches how your Windows OS boots from the BIOS.

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 57982: Acronis True Image 2016: Restoring to a Drive with a Single Partition

For recovery of selected files and folders, then this is easiest done by using the integration between ATI and Windows Explorer that then allows the backup archive files (.tib) to be opened and normal Copy & Paste commands used.

KB 59115: Acronis True Image 2017: How to Restore Files (Windows) - covers both methods of recovering files using the ATI GUI and lower down, covers using Explorer.  Note: there is no equivalent document covering ATI 2016 but there are no real differences between the two versions!