Skip to main content

I have an old backup.tib splitted into two files but no metadata file

Beginner
Comments: 1

I have an old backup.tib splitted into two files but no metadata file so when I try to open the file I get the following message "The metadata file corresponding to this backup is not found. Place the backup and its metadata in the same folder, and then try again."

the source file and computer are long time gone. what I can do? 

Thanks 

Jose 

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 4219

I have no experience with splitting *.tib files, but one thing that occurs to me is that validation may work.

This may depend on what version of ATI the backup was created with. You are using 2016 but if it was creeated an earlier version it may be more complicated, particularly with the changes that were introduced with ATI 2015. You could in that case try using the recovery media for that version of ATi which you should be able to download from your Acronis account.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Legend
Comments: 24728

As far as I understand only the ATI for Mac version creates metadata files along with its .tib files but like Ian I am not a Mac user so don't know the implications of not having the associated metadata file for a backup you are trying to open?

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hello thank you for your answers, 

yes I created the backup with the version 2013 and I was able to get the installer back and I put it on a windows computer and were able to open the file. 

In fact I was doing it on a Mac using the version 2019. 

I am glad my account had the licenses and those are perpetual. 

Thanks for all the help

Jose

Legend

Jose, thanks for the update and glad that the problem is resolved!

Forum Star
Comments: 4219

+1 to Steve's comment.

Ian

Beginner
Comments: 3

I have opposite problem, the same error message, but when I try to open .tib files using Acronis True Image 2021 running under Mac OS X Mojave (splitted six .tib files) created on Windows XP in 2009. 

Any suggestions?

Juraj.

Legend

Juraj, welcome to these public User Forums.

Sorry but you cannot open backups created by ATI running in Windows using the ATI for Mac application, these are not compatible with each other.

What you can try doing, as you have a license for ATI 2021 for Mac, is to download the Acronis Rescue Media .ISO for Windows from your Acronis Account, then use this to boot a PC and attempt to open the very old .tib files from Windows XP.

See Backup Archive Compatibility for more information of this topic.

Beginner

Dear Steve, thank you for a warm welcome and your help explaining how to open the .tib files. I assume that they do not open under Windows XP SP2 emulated using Parallels, either... That would be the best way for me. 

If not - is the workaround you explained valid if I try it on my Surface Pro 3 running the latest Windows X?

Legend

Juraj, I have no experience with any Mac PC's so cannot answer whether you could install a copy of an older version of ATI in Windows XP running / emulated using Parallels.

If you have Windows 10 installed on your Surface Pro 3 and a copy of ATI 2021, then you can try opening the old 2009 vintage .tib files using that application to see if this will succeed or not.  A lot really depends on what actual version of ATI was used to create those .tib files?  There was a 2009 version or else before this was versions 11, 10, 9, 8 and 7.

Another forum user with very old .tib files found they had to use rescue media from ATI 7 to be able to open them, all later versions reported the files as being corrupt!

Beginner

Dear Steve and all who are interested,

I installed my old Acronis 9.0 upgrade (upgrade from version 8 upgrade of version 7 upgrade of version 6 etc. :-) on my Windows XP running under Parallels under Mojave 10.14.6 OS and everything works perfect, all partitions assigned and three of them are available from ancient times!

Thank you a million! I appreciate that this forum works and helps...

With best regards. 

Juraj