Skip to main content

Incremental Backup and Validation

Beginner
Comments: 1

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is old business. I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 2016 and am backing up using the incremental scheme. I have selected validation when backup is created and it takes a very long time to complete each backup.

If I have selected validate when backup is created does Acronis validate the full backup and all subsequent incrementals each time? Is there an recommended validation strategy that ensures the integrity of the data without performing complete validations with each backup?

If I validate the complete backup and then turn off validation for the incrementals what happens if one or more incrementals are corrupt?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. 

Legend
Comments: 13335

Steve, welcome to these user forums.

Validation will need to check the whole backup version chain when it runs, in particular, especially true for Incremental backup images as these all depend on the previous backup and the initial full backup.  Any one bad incremental and all subsequent backups are invalidated.

I am not aware of a recommended validation strategy per say.  I personally do not run a validation automatically with my backups, partically due to the extra time this requires, and partially because like school exams, it is only ever good for the time at which it was run and would need to be repeated before attemping to recover from the version chain.

You can run a separate validation manually from time to time, plus it is recommended to use the Notification settings to send yourself an email with a copy of the important log file messages then check that these do not show any issues.

To run a manual validation, simply click on the (V) next to the task and take the Validate option from the menu list shown.

Beginner
Comments: 1

Steve,

Thanks for the information. It makes sense that the integrity of the current file is dependent on the rest. You have also hit the nail on the head about the time needed to validate. I had a problem several years ago with 2016 version where I lost my system due to a corrupted (or unvalidated) backup. Since then I have been wary of backing up without validation but I am unhappy with the time it takes.