Skip to main content

Multiple computers, Image recovery Boot media & Universal boot media

Beginner
Comments: 2

I have four computers, each with its own license for Acronis True Image 2016. All of them have Win 10 OS, all 64 Bit.

For a boot disk to recover an existing back-up image (aka Acronis Boot Media):
Do I need to create a dedicated boot rescue disk (or boot USB media) from each individual machine, from each particular machine?
Or can I create a boot one boot media from any one computer and use it universally on any of my computers (Given that they are all Win-10 OS, all 64 Bit. I am not sure that matters because I understand that the recovery is in Linux environment anyway).

For Restoring to dissimilar Hardware:
With above scenario again, do I need to create a dedicated Universal Restore boot media for each computer? This of course assumes that the problematic computer is functional and has not failed before creation of this Universal Restore Boot media.

Can the hardware drivers be added to a USB Universal Restore Boot drive, AFTER creation of the initial media (say in a separate folders called "MyDrivers", added post-creation of that boot media?

If above can be done then am I good with just one Universal Restore Boot Media created on any one of my four computers, yet usable on any of the remaining three computers?

A clarification would be most appreciated.

Thanks, ANR

Legend
Comments: 13948

Ashraf, welcome to these User Forums.

Your Acronis Rescue Media created on one computer should work fine with your other computers assuming that no additional device drivers are needed to recognise any hardware in those computers that isn't seen by the media when you boot from it.  The default Linux version of the Rescue Media does not allow for adding new device drivers so if it is needed to do this, then you will need to create the Windows PE version of the media, where this is possible.

See forum topic: MVP Tool - CUSTOM ATI WINPE BUILDER for a tool created by the MVP community that allows for easier injection of device drivers if needed.

The same applies to the Acronis Universal Restore media, but the key with this media is that it is only used after using the main Rescue Media to restore a Windows OS backup to a computer using new hardware, at which time the AUR media is used to prepare that restored OS to work with any new hardware found, injecting generic device drivers where needed and asking for any other drivers for unrecognised hardware encountered.

With Windows 10, it is not always needed to use the AUR media after restoring a Windows 10 OS backup to new hardware as the OS is much better at handling such hardware changes than previous versions of Windows were.

The MVP WinPE tool allows for both types of media to be created on a single USB stick, i.e. to run the main ATI application for Backup & Recovery, and when needed to run the AUR application.  This media also includes a web browser, file manager and other tools that can be used from the standalone WinPE boot environment.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Steve, Thanks for your response.

I shall visit the MVP tool topic you recommended, to carry on further. Your explanation had helped me understand a few things and cleared some cobwebs.

I still need to understand the possibilities available with a USB AUR boot media, mainly to understand the underlying mechanics. Say I create AUR boot media on USB  thumb. After creation, can I later add a folder to that boot drive? e.g. Add a folder called "MyNewDrivers" and add a few new drivers therein.

Will the boot process allow me to browse & navigate to that folder during boot? Or will the boot process recognize the drivers automatically? Or will that new folder interfere with the boot up?

Thanks once again

Legend
Comments: 13948

Ashraf, there is a key issue here with your questions about device drivers.

When you create WinPE Rescue Media, then you can (using the MVP tool) inject additional device drivers needed for that rescue media to recognise such as RAID drives or some NVMe PCIe drives.

You cannot inject drivers into AUR as far as its boot process goes, other than for the Rescue Media to use during the boot process which is completely independent of the AUR process of using device drivers to prepare a restored OS to work on new hardware.

You can add a folder to the USB stick with additional device drivers that may be requested by AUR during its processing, but such drivers would normally only be the motherboard Chipset and storage controller / adapter drivers - all other drivers should be added using the normal Windows processes after the restored OS has booted successfully on the new hardware.  Any added driver folder(s) will be ignored during the media boot.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Steve, thanks once again, for helping me to discern and recognize those intricate issues.

Obviously my best solution is your recommended method to create a WinPE Recue media, using the MVP tool. I shall give it a try next week.