Skip to main content

Need help trying to clone old SSD with possible corruption to new SSD - rescue media on flash drive not seen in setup

Thread solved
Beginner
Comments: 3

I have Asus Zenbook laptop running Windows 10 Home.  Used Acronis 2016 to create rescue disk on USB thumb drive. Trying to clone old SSD 256GB to new SSD 500GB, but cannot get Windows to boot from thumb drive (setup does not show any boot options).

Old SSD appears to have errors that are not being detected by chkdsk.  With old SSD in USB enclosure and new blank SSD internal, PC tries to boot from old SSD.  Displays messages: Preparing automatic repair, Diagnosing your PC, Windows did not start correctly.  Displays menu with various options.

I tried getting to safe mode but reboot repeats above loop.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Carolyn

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 23402

Carolyn, welcome to these public User Forums.

Before doing anything else, I would strongly recommend making a full disk backup of the original SSD with the possible corruption!  This is your safety net before doing any further actions!

Next, with the original SSD still installed and able to boot into Windows 10, run the command: msinfo32 from the desktop and confirm what the BIOS mode is for the laptop?  This should show as either UEFI for more recent systems, or else as either Legacy or the make of the SSD drive for older systems.   This is important as any boot from the Acronis Rescue Media needs to also use the same BIOS mode to boot.

See KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

The next question is: what type of SSD is installed in the laptop?  You can find the answer to this again using msinfo32 by expanding the Components section, then Storage > Disks which will list all installed / connected disk drives.

If your SSD is a newer PCIe type card drive (NVMe M.2 or eSATA drive) then you will probably need to use the Windows PE version of the Acronis Rescue Media in order to have support for this type of drive.  It is also possible that your laptop does not support booting from Linux based rescue media if it has UEFI Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS, so again WinPE media will be required.

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media.

The MVP Custom PE Builder tool (link in my signature) can be used to create WinPE media using your Windows 10 Recovery Environment files, which is the tool I would recommend using here.

Because you are working with a laptop please see KB 56634: Acronis True Image: how to clone a disk - and review the step by step guide given there.

Note: the first section of the above KB document directs laptop users to KB 2931: How to clone a laptop hard drive - and has the following paragraph:

It is recommended to put the new drive in the laptop first, and connect the old drive via USB. Otherwise you will may not be able to boot from the new cloned drive, as Acronis True Image will apply a bootability fix to the new disk and adjust the boot settings of the target drive to boot from USB. If the new disk is inside the laptop, the boot settings will be automatically adjusted to boot from internal disk. As such, hard disk bays cannot be used for target disks. For example, if you have a target hard disk (i.e. the new disk to which you clone, and from which you intend to boot the machine) in a bay, and not physically inside the laptop, the target hard disk will be unbootable after the cloning.

Beginner

Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply.  My system will no longer boot into Windows.  It gets hung in loop "preparing automatic repair", "diagnosing your pc", "Windows did not start correctly".

When it would still boot into Windows, I was able to copy all my files but didn't back up applications. I do have an older complete backup I can revert to if need be. 

My system is UEFI, original hard drive is SSD M.2 2080 SATA, 256GB. New drive is same except 500GB.  From your comments, looks like I should have created a WinPE rescue disk.  Well, too late now!

Since posting my question yesterday, I tried a different approach.  I have a downloaded Win 10 ISO file on a bootable flash drive. I tried doing a clean install of Windows on my new SSD.  Got as far as "getting files ready for install", about 4% complete, when PC just shut down (black display, power off). Tried a second time with same result.

Now I'm thinking the hard drive is not the problem.  Initial symptoms were rapidly flickering display, followed quickly by messages "hibernating" and "locked" and black screen, power still on.  Reboot would sometimes succeed and sometimes not. Went downhill from there and now won't boot successfully at all. Chkdsk 1st run found errors and fixed them; subsequent runs found no errors.

Not sure what to try next.  I'm very close to buying a new PC and starting over. Words of wisdom appreciated!

Carolyn

Legend

Carolyn, the best approach I can suggest here would be to identify if the laptop can boot and stay operational when booted from an alternative OS that isn't using your current internal SSD?

The options that I have used when dealing with similar systems are to try booting from a Linux live distribution such as Ubuntu, or else download a copy of Hiren's BootCD which is also a Windows 10 PE boot disc that is good for testing.  There is information on the Hiren's webpage for how to create USB boot media if needed.

The Ubuntu download page also has information on How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows

If the laptop can boot successfully from either of these OS media and stay operational while you have a wander through the features, connect to the Internet etc, then the laptop main hardware is still good and the issue is somewhere around the SSD drive.

The Hiren's media has a selection of tools that can be used to check for problems.

Beginner

Thanks Steve.  I'll give this a try.

Beginner

Reporting back - I'm up and running!!  I was able to boot using Hiren's BootCD and hardware was stable.  After exploring solutions listed in Hiren's, I used Lazesoft to successfully clone my old SSD to the new one.  The new drive booted fine.  I've run some repairs on apps and now everything is running correctly.  First task completed was full backup!

Many thanks Steve for your time and helpful suggestions!!

Carolyn

Legend

Carolyn, always great to read of success!  Glad you are back operational again!