Skip to main content

Operations are in progress

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 3

When I do a backup and request automatic shutdown, about half the time the shut down puts up the message "Operations are in progress, please wait.  The machine will turn off automatically after the operations are complete."  Even after a few hours, the machine does not turn off.  I can only recover by forcing a restart by holding the power switch for 10 seconds.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7021

This is unfortunately a commonly reported problem.  My suggestion to you is to give the machine some time after a backup is completed before shutting down or rebooting.  You might also try having a look at Windows task managers and determine what if any True Image services or processes are running.  This may help to troubleshoot the issue.  Below is a list of TRU Image processes and services to assist you.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56697

Beginner

Enchantech, thank you for your response, but perhaps I didn't expain my problem clearly enough.

I usually do a backup using Acronis True Image 2016 in the following way:

1) At the end of the day, I start Acronis True Image 2016, and select which disk I want to backup to.

2) I click on "Back up now."  I always leave the checkbox "Shut down computer after completion" checked.

3) I leave my office.

The expected outcome is that the backup takes place and after the backup is finished, the computer shuts down without further intervention.

This screnario has always worked properly, but lately about half the time when I come back to my office many hours later, my computer is still on with the shut down message "Operations are in progress, please wait.  The machine will turn off automatically after the operations are complete." displayed.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get this scenario working again?

Forum Hero
Comments: 7381

John,

Try disabling Nonstop backup service (if you're not using it).  You can also disable managed machine service mini if you don't use the dashboard feature.  Stop them and set to disable and see if this helps at all.

Has this error always been there, or was the system OS recently upgraded and/or was ATIH an upgrade over a previous install?  Most of the people who have this continually, that I've helped, are fixed with a clean install, but then you have to restart your backup tasks (you can still import your old TIBs though).

Clean Uninstall and Reinstall Procedures

Acronis True Image services:

Service name Purpose
Acronis Nonstop Backup Service (afcdp) Performs Nonstop Backup for partitions 
Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) Task scheduling for Acronis True Image
Acronis Sync Agent Service (syncagentsrv) Performs Synchronization
Acronis Managed Machine Service Mini Communicates with Family Dashboard
Beginner

Thank you for your suggestions.  I will try them for awhile and let you know the results later.

Beginner
Comments: 4

I have had this problem for years. None of the suggested fixes work. Why doesn't Acronis just fix the problem? Unless, and until, they do fix it, I will not upgrade. In fact, I'm seriously considering the removal of their product and using different backup software.

Beginner

Since I don't use the non-stop backup, I stopped the Acronis Nonstop Backup Service (afcdpsrv) as suggested above.  For the last 3 weeks I have not seen the shutdown problem even once.  So for me that fixed the problem.  Thank you to Bobbo_3C0X1 for your help.

Forum Hero

Glad to hear it!  It would be nice if NSB service only ran if a NSB backup job was configured, but it seem like it's loaded by default.  Can't say this is the only culprit for those shutdown messages, but seems to be the culprit more times than not from what I've been reading in the forums. 

Beginner

I do not use and never have used NSB.

No solution ever offered solves this problem.

Acronis knows the problem exists yet they do nothing to fix it.

For me, it's time to move to a different backup utility.A

Beginner

I do all my backups early each morning after having been shutdown all night.

This problem ONLY occurs when shutting down at night, many hours after the backup.

No True Image processes are ever running.

Beginner

The only thing I do, and can do, is a power shutdown when it happens. At the next power-on, I select "normal startup" and everything is fine. No harm has ever happened to any files on my machine. The problem is merely something that irks the user and could, and should, be easily fixed by Acrons but they seem unwilling to fix it.

Forum Hero

Don,

You're correct, Acronis has acknowledged this to be a bug and it is reportedly going to be fixed in the April update (don't know when that will be and/or if it really is fixed or not).

However, that said, I've had this issue after upgrading from a previous version as well.  I ran the clean tool (see my signature) and made sure to check for leftover directories, rebooted and installed fresh by using "run as administrator" and have had no issues with it since.  I offer this as a solution for others in the forum and often receive feedback it has worked for them as well.