Problem with BitLocker and the custom ATI WINPE boot environment built with the MVP tool
December 2021, I became aware of the MVP tool and the option to include BitLocker-support into the boot environment. My main interest in this is to be able to back up from an external boot medium a primary windows volume with BitLocker encryption (password protected not via TPM).
- I downloaded the MVP tool builder and its prerequisites in December 2021.
- My version of ATI is 2016 build 6595 (which is among the versions supported by the MVP tool).
- In the WINPE environment, I can successfully unlock the BitLocker encrypted volume using the “manage-bde” command and access files on that volume from the file-explorer.
- I can even backup data from that volume using the ATI 2016 version that is baked into the boot medium.
- However, when I choose to back up the entire volume ATI 2016 complains that it is “Unable to back up a locked volume encrypted with BitLocker. Unlock the volume or turn off BitLocker, and then try again.”
What am I missing?