Skip to main content

Reboot Required - for no obvious reason

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 1

Had an industrial PC go BSOD over the weekend because of storms. From the OEM, the disk has a factory default.tib on it, separate partition from Win7 (embedded standard). Getting to recovery manager on this box is a no-go, the option is not there.

I yank the disk, attach to Win10 Lenovo Laptop with Acronis 2016 on it, add existing backup, select the default.tib, select the windows partition 'Unknown Drive I:' withing it, set the destination as 'Unknown Drive E:' and let her rip. Reboot required. Why? This does not involve Win10 on the laptop.

So I move the factory default.tib to the Win 10 desktop, and repeat, same thing.

I try again in disk mode, not parition mode. Same thing.

It would not be so bad if once rebooting it would actually do something but it does nothing.

I even enabled boot recovery manager, and after hitting F11 on boot it does nothing. Perhaps a UEFI thing.

Acronis has gotten worse and worse over the years, and this is likely the tipping point for me.

So I am off to see if I can figure out why the boot manager recovery crap is not working.

But on the face of it, there is not a darn reason the tib can't be restored without leaving windows.

/rant

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21411

S1ack, welcome to these public User Forums.

From the information given, I am not greatly surprised that you have seen issues here!

I would expect your industrial PC running Windows 7 is probably a Legacy boot system?

You mention UEFI in the context of your Lenovo Windows 10 laptop where you have tried to restore the .tib file from the industrial PC, so assume that the laptop using UEFI boot.

If you were able to restore a legacy boot .tib image to the external drive from the PC using ATI 2016 running on a UEFI boot laptop, then the restore would migrate that OS image from Legacy to UEFI, which would then fail to boot on the original industrial PC.

The way to approach this type of issue really depends on the capabilities of the original PC system?

If that PC supports booting from either a CD or DVD, or else from a USB stick, then the recommendation would be to create the ATI 2016 rescue media on your laptop on the supported boot media (CD/DVD or USB), then boot the PC from that media with the drive installed as it needs to be to boot correctly, then recover the .tib image on the same computer.

If the PC doesn't support booting from CD/DVD or USB then you will need to boot your Lenovo laptop in Legacy / CSM boot mode from the Acronis rescue media to perform the recovery.

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media or Linux based media.

KB 59877: Acronis True Image: how to distinguish between UEFI and Legacy BIOS boot modes of Acronis Bootable Media

KB 57982: Acronis True Image 2016: Restoring to a Drive with a Single Partition

Beginner
Comments: 1

Steve Smith: You've changed since the Carolina Panthers let you go.

I found your typical response to a similiarly titled thread in the ATIH 2016 forum, and eventually settled on creating a WinPE USB rescue media.

It went like this:

Original Win 7 Embedded Standard Box was BSOD. Upon boots/reboots I could see no 'Press F11 to enter Acronis" etc...So I removed the disk. Installed to a USB 3.0 to Sata III adapter and attached to Lenovo Win 10 box with UEFI bios things going on.

Original Win 7 Embedded Standard Box's disk has two partitions on it 'Acronis' and 'Unnamed' (I actully forget the name but this other partiion is for Win 7 Embedded. So In ATIH 2016 I add an existing backup, navigate to 'Acronis' parition and select the tib, then set the destication to be 'Unnamed'...proceed - reboot required. WHY?

Why is a reboot required in this instance? Win 10 partition is not involved. I just don't understand it.

This is what started my rant mentality.

I realize Acronis had nothing to do with UEFI, but from my perspective all it has ever done for this consumer if obfuscate things that used to be routine.

In any case, I resurrected the box. Just took longer than I thought.

Legend
Comments: 21411

ATI typically requires a reboot when the target disk contains an existing Windows OS installation, so that there are no possible locked files.

The above can be circumvented by wiping the target disk first, but care would need to be taken when you have a backup .tib image file stored on that same disk in a second partition, where it would be best to copy that .tib file to another drive.