Skip to main content

Restore from bootable USB - trying to restore does not work

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 6

SEE PICTURE

I am trying to recover this image to my hard drive.  I am right clicking the image, click recover and nothing happens.  Well, when I right click anything on this menu, nothing really happens with any of the options.  What's going on here?

Attachment Size
Screenshot_20200821-203712_WhatsApp.jpg 171.93 KB
0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 23402

Andrew,

Please see forum topic: [How to] recover an entire disk backup - and in particular the attached PDF document which shows a step-by-step tutorial for doing this type of recovery / restore for comparison with the steps you are following.

Have you tried doing a Validation for the selected image file?

Beginner

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.  When I right-click to try and validate, nothing happens either.

When I follow those directions, "How to] recover an entire disk backup " on the "home" button, clicking the "my disks"  link under the recover gives me error, which I have attached.

Attachment Size
548857-195707.jpg 456.46 KB
Legend

Andrew, there were known issues with the ATI 2016 rescue media (Linux based) that gave segmentation errors and were fixed in ATI 2017 or by using the WinPE version of the rescue media.

See KB 56610: Acronis True Image 2016: Creating Bootable Media - for details of the options for creating WinPE media.

Beginner

Ok, I did the win PE bootable.  See attached picture.... Now I'm getting "Index Corrupted" from any backup I try.  How to fix this?

Edit: also verified OK.

Attachment Size
549025-195789.jpeg 98.32 KB
549025-195790.jpeg 113.48 KB
Legend

Andrew, sorry but am not sure that this can be fixed.  The index corrupted refers to the MFT (master file table) within the backup .tib file, which comes from the disk / file system that was captured, so needs to be fixed by running CHKDSK /F but this is a catch-22 because you need to be able to restore the image to a disk to run this command.

Validation only proves that the backup file itself has not got any corruption issues - it recalculates checksums for each block of the .tib file and compares the value with that stored within the file to confirm they match.  Hence why this corrupt index comes from the original drive not the backup file.

You might be able to do a Files & Folders recovery from the backup file or else you could try doing a Sector-by-sector recovery on the Recovery method panel (if this is shown in the 2016 media - not sure if this was brought in later?  It is shown in the 2020 panel). 

If the above isn't shown in your 2016 media, then check the Options shown on the last panel before going ahead with the recovery?

Beginner

I try Acronis 2021 WinPE and there's no selection for choosing restore sector by sector.  Does this mean that the original archive had to be backed up sector by sector?  Or did they omit this in 2021?

Legend

Andrew, sorry but looks like Acronis have made further changes in the 2021 rescue media as I have just tested using the same for one of my systems and the option shown in my previous image from the 2020 media has gone again!

I never use sector-by-sector mode when creating backups except when dealing with backing up a failing drive, so it shouldn't have to be used in order to see the option on recovery.

Beginner

Steve, thanks for all of your help.  I've decided to install afresh copy of Windows and copied all of the important information from the .tib file.