Skip to main content

Restore to USB drive

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 24

Hi all

I'm in the process of upsizing my wife's PC HDD and I have created a tib file on my NAS. What I want to do is plug the new HDD into a USB 3 port using a caddy and restore the tib file to it using my PC (not hers).

I can't seem to create a task in ATI to restore. If I create a new task it wants to backup the tib file to the USB drive not restore it.

Any ideas?

Cheers  

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Star
Comments: 1413

Daylef,

You should be able to do what you want to do by performing "Add Existing Backup"...hit the down carat with a circle around it...picture below:

Once the backup is added, you should have the option to restore.

Since the backup is located on a NAS, you may have problems getting ATI to ask for login credentials.  If that becomes a problem, let us know as we have a solution.

Regards,

FtrPilot

Attachment Size
359894-129451.jpg 133.61 KB
Forum Member

Thanks FtrPilot

I did learn something about adding backups but unfortunately it still won't let me select the USB drive as the destination. It only gives me the option of one of the two drives mounted in the PC. If push comes to shove I'll just mount it but it's not the convenience I wanted.

Cheers 

Forum Star

Daylef,

I have restored to a USB drive many times.  I don't understand why it wouldn't let you select it.

Regards,

FtrPilot

Forum Member

I've attached a screen grab which shows the two drives mounted in my PC for selection but not the USB 3 drive. The source is my wife's TIB on a NAS.

Cheers

Attachment Size
360134-129490.jpg 79.64 KB
Forum Hero
Comments: 8341

What type of USB drive is it (flash/thumb drive or external USB hard drive)?  Also, how much free space is on the thumb drive? 

It looks like you're trying to do a full disk recovery and that could by why as well.  You can't recover a Windows OS to a removable thumb drive.  By default, Windows can only see one parition on flash thumb drives.  Your main disk probably has at least 3 (OS, bootloader, MSR and/or recovery).  If this is going to an external USB hard drive with at least 200GB of free space, then it should be listed.

Forum Star

Daylef,

It appears you created a partition backup...you need to create a disk backup using full partitionlist.  See image below.

Recommend you perform another backup, take a screen capture of the backup settings and post here.

Regards,

FtrPilot

Attachment Size
360144-129493.jpg 171.19 KB
Forum Member

FtrPilot

What I create is a full disk and partition back up. I know it is becasue I've restored them before and the partitions are recreated. I can't perform another backup as W10 has just spat it after I put the HDD in that was in the caddy. I'll have to restore it before I do anything else.

Stay tuned.

Forum Member

OK, I'm back.

I had to recover the backup from my NAS (which I created this morning) to the original HDD given W10 had a melt down for some reason. However what I have discovered is that the HDD that was in the caddy has bad clusters and I'm in the throws of sending it to Seagate under warranty.

So at this time I'm unable to do much more. I am still puzzled at the tib file(s) and why it looked as though it had no partitions given that is the backup that I just recovered to the original HDD.

Cheers

Forum Member

Bobbo

The USB is a 3TB drive and I did a low level format last night so is "bereft of any 1's".

Cheers

Forum Hero
Comments: 8341

Roger that! Are you still sending it back, or going to try and restore again?

Forum Member

Bobbo

I checked the serial no and it's still under warranty so I sent it back yesterday. It'll probaly take about 10 days given the lack of speed with Australia Post.

Cheers 

Beginner
Comments: 10

I have had issues a couple of times over the years seeing a usb drive that I wanted to restore to.

In recent days I think I have figured out why.  I started a restore operation booting from the recovery cd.  The usb attached drive I want to restore to was a windows 10 laptop internal drive with the 4 or 5 partitions commonly seen on a windows boot drives in recent years.  This drive was used to create the backup I wanted to restore using the full disk option.  I backed it up as an attached usb drive.  (note I needed to do the backup and corresponding restore we are talking about on machines where I have acronis licensed.  I was working on someone's pc that was not an acronis customer)

What made it visible to the recovery operation was that I mounted it on a working windows system and made it non bootable.  Only the C: drive showed bootable  I did that with these commands to just the C: partition on the drive I wanted to restore to:

open a command prompt  (might have to be opened as an administrator)
    Type in diskpart  and press Enter.
    To identify which disk you need to work with. Type the command:  list disk.
    This will list all the drives connected to your computer.
    To select the disk enter the command: select disk n
    "n" will correspond to the disk # for the drive you are referring to.
    To list all the partitions on the disk enter the command: list partition
    To select a partition use: select partition n   (the big C: partition)
    Substitute "n" correctly and it will select the particular partitions on that drive.
    To see the partition info type:  detail partition
    To unmark the current partition as active use the command line: inactive  (or the opposite, active)
    Note, active means bootable
    Exit the command prompt using command: exit

Forum Moderator
Comments: 5590

Lynn, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with solving the issue!

Beginner

I have to post a correction to the 04/30/2020 post above by myself, Lynn Sattler.
I have since learned my real issue is because the 2015 version of the stand alone linux recovery cd subsystem does not recognize seagate usb 3 drives (usb3 enclosures actually).

See the below post that is very irritating to me about Acronis.  I have spent hours on an issue that in early 2015 they knew about.  I don't believe they ever fixed the 2015 software.  Maybe I am wrong but the more I work with this software the more I am getting driven to another vendor's product.

Read this:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2015-forum/2015-rescue-media-does-not-see-my-usb3-external-hard-drives

Lynn Sattler

Beginner

05/07/2020, further followup.

I just realized I was using the base TI 2015 (6525 ver) during my testing posted above on 4/30/2020 and 5/6/2020.  I just booted up the standalone for TI 2015 (6613 ver) and I can see a seagate usb3 drive that was not visible with 6525 version.

Thanks, Lynn Sattler

Beginner
Comments: 1

Hey… I think you should try the (CMD) Command Prompt to restore files from USB drive or other storage devices. For this, you need to follow the below instructions carefully:

• First of all, connect your USB drive to the system.
  • Next, press Windows + X keys to bring up the dialogue & then click on the Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Now, type the command attrib -h -r -s /s /d G:\*.*(replace G: with the drive letter for your device).

After finishing these steps you can go to your USB drive to check if you can view all of your files.