Skip to main content

SOS the acronis backup prevent window 10 boot up

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

I tried to create a backup archive on my computer with True Image 2016. But it just lasted about 10 minutes, the computer suddenly shut down and I cannot restart the computer anymore. It can boot to Bio and don't have enough time to boot to window. Please help. Thanks!

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 21372

welcome to these public User Forums.

How were you trying to create the backup archive here?
Was this from within Windows 10 using the main ATI 2016 application, or were you using Acronis bootable rescue media to boot from a CD/DVD or USB stick?

Making a backup archive should not cause any boot problems as it should only read the contents of the source Windows drive and write these to the backup archive stored on a different drive.

Beginner

I started with ATI 2016 application to create the archive, but the computer shut down less than 10 minutes running time of ATI 2016. After several failures to boot the window 10, I used the original CD to start the computer and tried again to create the backup archive from the CD. The same result happened: the computer shut down after about 10 minutes. 

What should I look for to figure out what was going wrong on the computer in the current situation? Thank you very much.

L

Legend

I do not believe that this is being caused by the Acronis software but rather that you have an issue with your computer, possibly with the power supply that is not able to cope with the strain that creating a backup puts on it due to the high levels of disk, processor and memory usage.

I would recommend just trying to get the computer to boot into Windows 10 normally if possible as after several boot failures, you should be shown the Windows Recovery Environment menu with options to do a Startup Repair or to boot using Windows Safe Mode.

If you are still unable to boot into Windows, then you will need a Windows 10 Install DVD (or USB media) to try to do a repair of Windows in that way.

What type of computer is involved here?  Is this a desktop type PC or a laptop?

Beginner

Hi Steve,

it is a homemade desktop. I did try to repair with the Win10 DVD, but it does not have enough time to do so: the computer shut down during loading process from the DVD, :-(

Thank you very much for taking time to help me on the issue!

L

Legend

If the computer is shutting down before it can boot from the Win 10 DVD, then you have a hardware problem here.

If you are comfortable in opening the desktop case, then with the computer turned off, start by disconnecting any devices that are not needed immediately, including any plug-in cards.

I worked on a similar issue for a friend recently on an older Win XP gaming computer that would not boot, where I had a bootable USB stick with my Acronis rescue media that I used for testing the computer with.

The approach that I took to identify the issue was to disconnect all HDD and CD/DVD drives then test booting from the USB stick - it still failed to boot.
Next, I removed one of the memory modules then tested again - failed, changed the other memory module and replaced the first one, still failed!

Finally, I unplugged all PCI cards and with only the motherboard & memory installed, was able to boot the USB media. 

From that point, I reconnected the HDD drives and booted OK.  Reconnected the CD/DVD drive and still able to boot.  Plugged in the PCI cards one at a time, testing inbetween and found that one of the PCI cards was the cause of the problem!