Skip to main content

still stuck at "Calculating time" ...

Beginner
Comments: 2

One of my machines has been hung up for days in the "calculating time for backup" phase. Even worse, the process cannot be stopped via the "stop" button. There are dozens of threads about this, and I've tried all the solutions I've seen (chdsk, rebooting, reinstalling, editing the script "use_vss" parameter). Nothing works, other than a total cleanout and starting from scratch.

Has there ever been a definitive solution to this? I'm running 2016, but my appetite for spending money on the 2018 upgrade is small if ATI just isn't going to work in my environment.

Forum Star
Comments: 1749

It could be that one of the hidden partitions on the system drive has a problem. You have to assign a drive letter to the to run disk utilities. The way I solved this was to use the MVP Custom ATI WINPE Builder which creates a recovery disk that when it is run assigns drive letters to hidden partitions.

Ian

Beginner

The OS thinks the recovery partitions are OK. I managed to manually delete all the old backup data in ProgramData and start fresh, and it works. So it would seem that whatever was wrong was a function of Acronis, not my system.

Regardless, it seems like ATI should be able to stop its own processes successfully when there's a problem.

Beginner

Oh, and thanks for the link!