True Image 2016 Try and Decide in conflict with Windows 10 version 1803
The events about use of the latest version of Traditional Chinese ATI2016 Try and Decide (TnD) in Windows 10 version 1803 were:
1. TnD was started using the same C: for storage.
2. Bookmarks were imported to the MS Edge.
3. At reboot, the screen of Continue/Discard did not appear and the time for entering desktop was longer than normal.
4. After a few days, TnD 'stop without applying change' was selected at the task icon.
5. After shutdown and at the beginning of boot, the screen showed that windows was preparing for auto-repair and then the trial of repair failed. The option of continuing to use windows was selected.
6. The desktop was reached after quite a long time. It was found that the previous changes (eg imported bookmarks) still existed.
7. Items 5 and 6 repeated at every computer power on or restart.
True Image 2016 (Traditional Chinese)
Fujitsu Lifebook, i5-3xxx, 4GB ram, 1TB HD
Traditional Chinese Windows 10 pro (version 1803)
Try&Decide does not always work as you may expect. This can be the case when using EUFI rather than BOIS/Legacy installation. There are other settings such as fast boot and security that prevent Try&Decide from working properly. If I recall correctly Try&Decide was reintroduced in ATI 2016 and was rather buggy. Many of those bugs have been remedied in the latest version of ATI. There is also the possibility that Windows 10 is no longer working as ATI Try&Decide expects, for example due to security enhancements.
Afriad I cannot be of any further assistance. One thing you could try is boot from Windows recovery media, and then select Repair. Not sure that it will make any difference to the self-induced repair process but it is worth trying.
Ditto to Ian's post. Each time Microsoft makes a major update, there's more chance features in older backup products are less likely to work. T&D was always a bit buggy in 2016/2017, especially on UEFI systems which were just becoming mainstream around that time. Unfortunately Acronis 2016 was out about 2 years before Windows 10 1803 so there's likely to be some conflict as Windows 10 is also evolving.
Thank you for your comments.
Further trials were:
(1) At the start of removing ATI2016, TnD was required to be closed but clicking the start/stop within the TnD screen had no response.
(2) Setup of ATI2018 to replace ATI2016 failed because of TnD problem as in (1).
(3) Doing windows system restore to a date before the start of TnD was successful and the self-repair at boot did not happen again. ATI2016 was then removed without problem.
Glad to hear you got it removed. That's why I never really picked up T&D. Too many possible issues with corrupt bootloader switching back and forth. This really hasn't come up in the 2019 forum though so perhaps it's fixed now. Never really had the need or desire to check though. My OS images are only about 70GB and take about 5 minutes to create a full backup and about the same to recover. It's just easier for me to do that feeling safe and confident.
Good point Bobbo; something to remember particularly with fast NVMe drives (unfortunately most of my PCs are ancient - see my signature - and do not support booting from NVMe on add-in card). However does not take all that long with SATA SSDs.