Skip to main content

True Image and cloning Mac HDD

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

((I may have posted this in the wrong forum a couple days ago))

I recently used the 2016 version of True Image on Windows 10 to clone the boot drive (a 256gB SSD called "Mac HD")  from my 2011 Macbook pro (running High Sierra) to a blank 500gB SSD. I selected "proportional" (after looking at "manual" and not really understanding the options). 

The cloned SSD works fine, booting up and all that. However, it only shows about 1/2 of the 500gB being available. The rest is "free space" according to Disk Utility.

I tried to use Disk Utility to expand the "Mac HD" to use the rest (about 260gB) of the "Free space". It was not sucessful. Sometimes it said that it was done. Sometimes it said it had failed. In all cases Disk Utility wound up showing that nothing had changed. 

If I try to partition the "Free Space" into a new volume, Disk Utility says it was successful, BUT then it will show that nothing has changed. 

I'm not super-familiar with the version of Disk Utility that's part of High Sierra, but I suspect the difficulty I'm experiencing might be due to something True Image did to the SSD during the cloning process ??

Thanks for any tips !

-Ron

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7179

The Windows version of Acronis really doesn't support MacOS journaled disks and wouldn't recommend using it to clone a drive formatted as such.  Surprised it worked.  Normally, when this behavior occurs on an NTFS disk, I would say to use Windows disk manager to now extend the remaining size out, but since you're dealing with an OS journaled disk, and not NTFS, if you try, you'll likely be prompted to format the disk in Windows instead.

You might want to try a third party tool like minitool partition wizard - it works really well.  Personally, i don't trust any software that requires a reboot to load up itself, in lieu of the Windows OS, and this can be the behavior with this tool to request this so it can gain full access to the disk.  In my case, I ended up buying it so that I can use the rescue media of partition image (since it's a feature only in the paid version).  For the most part though, people seem to be having great success running it in Windows.  But, that "need to reboot" prompt (when it comes up from running it in Windows at times) still scares me.  

Beginner

Unfortunately the  minitool partition wizard website does not mention Mac OSX drive support. 

Beginner

Since the clone process of 2016 True Image "actually did work"

... transferring sector-by-sector the contents of a 250gB OSX boot hard drive (SSD) to a blank 500gB SSD

... and the Mac boots and runs fine on/from that cloned drive

... but half the new drive is unused space

... and the Mac's Disk Utility doesn't seem to be able, for whatever reason, to expand that 250gB partition onto the unused space of the new 500gB.  ((I suspect this has something to do with some "slight" (relatively) incompatibility of the way True Image created the Mac partition on the new drive.))   ... but anyway ...

... I used the "Proportional" option for the clone I did.  

... would the "Manual" mode have let me turn the whole 500gB (more or less) into one big Mac journaled partition?

Thanks !

Forum Hero
Comments: 7179

In theory, yes - that's the way it's supposed to work. That might do the trick here even though its an supported Mac partition it might still work.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/ATI2019/#3570.html

If possible take a Mac backup first to be safe. Either with Acronis or time machine on the Mac.