Skip to main content

Unable to Boot Windows 10 From USB or DVD Rescue Media

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 10

I've been trying to get this to work for 3 days and need some assistance.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 10 installed.  Have installed the latest release of Acronis True Image 16.  I have created a backup image of the hard drive and stored it on an external hard drive.  I have created both a DVD and a Thumb Drive with rescue media on them.  I have set up the boot order in BIOS to be USB, DVD, Hard Drive.

When I insert either the USB or the DVD and boot up, I end up on some sort of "Dell" rescue site and never see anything about Acronis.  If I let the Dell site do a couple of checks I end up on a screen telling me to reinstall Windows 10.  Same thing happens with both the USB and the DVD.

I need to do a hard shutdown to get out of there.  The laptop is running perfectly now, but I'm trying to be assured that I can recover it if/when I have a disaster.

What could I be doing wrong?  I've used prior versions and have been able to restore saved images.

Thanks,

Doug in Santa Rosa, CA

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 16740

Doug, I have no idea why booting your Toshiba Satellite laptop from the Acronis Rescue Media on either USB or DVD should result in you going to a Dell rescue site, and have never heard of such behaviour.

My initial thoughts are that this sounds like some form of boot hijack but doesn't explain why / how your laptop is able to boot normally into Windows 10 from the local disk drive?

Please check what BIOS mode is used by your Windows OS by running the msinfo32 command and ensure that you are using the same mode when booting from the USB or DVD rescue media.

Beginner

Hi Steve.  I think I figured out why the "Dell thing" may have been happening.  I suspect that there was something on the external hard drive that caused it.

So....I used a different external drive and loaded a new backup image to it.  I am now able to boot from the Acronis media to the Recovery screen.  BUT...I now have another issue...

When I go to the "Browse for Backup" box and navigate to the newly created backup image, I can highlight it, but there is then nowhere on the screen for me to click on anything that would actually start the recovery process.  I've expanded the window and scrolled everywhere, but I don't have anything to click on to allow me to move on from the "Data Recovery and backup management" screen.

Am I missing something really simple here?  I just need a "Start" button or something to click!!

Thanks,

Doug

Legend

Doug, thanks for the update - sorry, I should have thought about the possibility that your laptop was trying to boot from your external backup drive instead of the USB rescue media!  That drive must have had a boot sector written to it at some time, perhaps if it has been repurposed after being an OS drive at some point in the past?

Please see forum topic: [How to] recover an entire disk backup - which should give you an example of how the steps for doing a disk recovery should look when using the rescue media.  This was written for ATI 2017 but there should be little difference for 2016 as the rescue media application hasn't really changed very much across many versions of ATI.

Beginner

Steve...that was a beautifully written and documented process.  I got through every step without actually beginning the restore process.  Thank you so much.  Now that I know I can recover properly I will probably never need to actually do it....Doug

Legend

Doug, glad the document helped and that you are now more comfortable with the rescue process should you need it in the future.

Beginner
Comments: 1

It is necessary to make a new bootable disk (With an USB),because i think it is easier to boot Windows computer from USB.

These tutorials are very helpfu:

https://unetbootin.github.io/

https://www.androidphonesoft.com/resources/create-bootable-usb-from-windows-install-iso.html

Forum Hero
Comments: 7713

Hasser, Acronis already has built in tools for creating bootable rescue media on usb drives. I wouldn't recommend third party tools for this as Acronis creates and licenses the rescue media at the same time. Plus, were not talking about booting Windows, but about booting Acronis rescue media to help with Acronis backup and recovery options.

Are you an Acronis user or just posting links to third party tools to get people redirected elsewhere?