Skip to main content

want to temporarily disable scheduled backups from starting

Thread needs solution
Forum Member
Comments: 14

I saw a few posts with this subject but nothing lately and for TI 2016.  I'm using True Image 2016 and have several scheduled backups and a non-stop backup configured. My backups destination is a NAS device on my network. I need to temorarily keep the scheduled and non-stop backups from running so I can do some work on the NAS. Is this possible? All other backup programs have this feature, I can't find it for TI.

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 8349

Hi Randy, You can temporarily disable Acronis from starting with Windows.  Click on the Windows Start Button and then enter the following in the search bar 

msconfig

Press enter and then go to the startup tab.  

Remove the check boxes for "Acronis Scheduler Helper" and "True Image Monitor".  

Click "OK" to apply.

Then reboot and the items won't start with windows, basically preventing backups from running until you go back and reverse the changes.

Additionally, and or alternatively, you can disable Acronis services as well, which should prevent them from running too.  You can copy these commands directly into an elevated command prompt, or save them into a text file (notepad) and save them as a .bat file extension.  

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/111301#comment-336321  

(use double colons :: to comment out items you don't want to run (like the comments I made) and for instance, you don't want to run the start and stop commands at the same time as that would defeat the purpose.  Instead, make one .bat with all of the start commands and another wth all of the stop commands and then you can just run the .bat file that you need to either start or stop those services on the fly.

Beginner
Comments: 5

There are two ways you can do that:

1. Just make the NAS unavailable to ATI by disabling the target share. This won't stop ATI to try to connect to the NAS but no backup will be done as the backup target is unavailable.

or

2. Stop all Acronis services in control panel: Press "Start" button -> run (or search for) services.msc -> Stop all services starting with "Acronis". You may have to try stopping the servives several times in changing order as they depend on each other...

EDIT: missing word

Forum Member
Comments: 14

Thank you both for your comments. I thought about stopping the scheduler in task manager but I thought there should be an easier way, like a "disable scheduler for xx hours" button in ATI. That's pretty basic. Thanks again for responding.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9257

If stopping the schedule momentarily is occasional, you'll have to follow the recommendations above. If this happens regularly, you could write a shell script that stops the Acronis services and then restart them after a period of time. You could use a combination of Windows task scheduler and this (these) script(s) to automate the suspension on a regular basis.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6089

Hello RandyR,

I will add this scenario as a feature request for the future versions, thank you!

Beginner
Comments: 6

I'd like to add my voice to a request to make it easy to temporarily stop Acronis please @Ekaterina. Typical for other software is to right-click the running application in the taskbar and choose close. Something similar would be very welcomed.

Thank you.

Forum Moderator
Comments: 6089

Timothy Paul wrote:

I'd like to add my voice to a request to make it easy to temporarily stop Acronis please @Ekaterina. Typical for other software is to right-click the running application in the taskbar and choose close. Something similar would be very welcomed.

Thank you.

Thank you, Timothy! Added your voice for the existing feature request, the internal ID for reference is TI-40870 Pause Backup for an Interval of Time.