Skip to main content

Windows Activation Required after Restore

Thread needs solution
TDG
Beginner
Comments: 7

I've created an image of Windows 7 and Windows 10 from the same laptop (Latitude D630) and wanted to use it as my base image for the other laptops. (E4310, HPs, Etc)

When I restored the second D630, I took the WIndows 7 image great as a test. I didn't notice that it lost activation.
I then reimaged it with the Windows 10 image and immediately upon reboot (after booting to universal restore) it showed the activation error in the right corner.

I've seen on this Forum that this is normal behavior, but want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, in either prepareing the image before taking it.  I use VLSC licenses and don't want to use up the 50 activations allowed by a single license.

Any recommendations would help.  All versions are PRO btw.

Thanks

Tom

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 18101

Forum Hero
Comments: 7321

Yes, this is common.  As you probably already know you can only have one license copy install.  I am not that familiar with the curent volumn license policy but I am pretty sure that you can call Microsofts activation server and activate the license over the phone to the new/different machine.  Might require talking to a live person though.

TDG
Beginner

Thanks Steve, that is the same article that I found. Was hoping for some better news.

TDG
Beginner

Enchantech wrote:

Yes, this is common.  As you probably already know you can only have one license copy install.  I am not that familiar with the curent volumn license policy but I am pretty sure that you can call Microsofts activation server and activate the license over the phone to the new/different machine.  Might require talking to a live person though.

Are you referring to activating the Windows 10 license over the phone?  I reimaged with Windows 7 and activated it with it's own license key.  I is now downlaoding Windows 10.  I was hoping to bypass the downloading process by just creating a Windows 10 Pro Image and reminaging my laptops as needed.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8204

TDG, if you had already upgraded to Windows 10 Pro or had it installed, you should be able to install Windows 10 and license it with the old key (assuming it is for the same hardware if it was an OEM license, or by using the license key you purchased for your shelf copy of Windows).

Windows 10 is strictly tied to the hardware, so once it has been licensed/registered on a machine, it should automatically license again.  However, if you are trying to push a single Win 10 image to other hardware that has never had Windows 10 on it yet (or a different version of 10 ... i.e. home instead of pro), Microsoft won't license the system and that's a Windows restriction of how Windows 10 licensing is being implemented.  

But, once Windows 10 has been installed and licensed on a system, you can then go back and push an image that has the same type of Windows 10 (home or pro) to it and it will license just fine from that point forward. 

Beginner
Comments: 1

After restoring the windows the windows activation should be done. So when I have restore my computer and then I went to activate windows it was not working. I tried so my way of solving the error but it did not work then I went through this blog and came to know why and how does this Windows Activation Error Code 0x80072F8F happens.