Skip to main content

Windows Explorer window slow to open tib file

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 5

When using Windows 10, opening a tib file with windows explorer takes a very long time. The green ribbon moves very slowly across the top.

Older version tib files open immediately, regardless of their sizes or if they are located on a USB or local connection. I do not use the cloud.

New version files open very slowly regardless of size.

This is NOT a Windows issue; it has to be something with Acronis 2016 and the Acronis file explorer. There must be some setting or variable that is causing this program to operate in this way.

I have seen this issue complained about for years on these forums with every kind of suggestion from using scandisk to reloading Acronis.

I believe that is nonsense.

What is going on here?

0 Users found this helpful
Forum Hero
Comments: 7189

Really can't say.  What version of 2016 do you have- are you using the latest v6569?  Have you upgraded it from a previous version in the past or did you updrade your OS while Acronis was already installed?  If so, try running the 2016 cleanup tool and starting fresh.  I can't say that I've ever experienced the slowness with opening or mounting .tibs, but I always start with a clean install whenever there is a major release since I've found the overall reliability and performance to be better using this method.  Minor releases/updates for the same version, I typcially will let upgrade, but only after shutting down the services and app, downloading the upgrade from my account and running it with the right click and "run as administrator" option.  I do all software upgrades this way if/when possible as upgrades can have their own set of problems and each system is maintained differently with different settings, different AV software, some with malware and just variables from different combinations of applications and upgrades over the years.  

Forum Hero

If you'd like to test, you could create a small backup file and post to the forum and I'd be happy to see how it opens on my system compared to yours to see if it is Acronis in general or unique to your install.  

Beginner

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

Really can't say.  What version of 2016 do you have- are you using the latest v6569?  Yes

Have you upgraded it from a previous version in the past or did you updrade your OS while Acronis was already installed?  If so, try running the 2016 cleanup tool and starting fresh.  Did that, complete with CC run.

I can't say that I've ever experienced the slowness with opening or mounting .tibs, but I always start with a clean install whenever there is a major release since I've found the overall reliability and performance to be better using this method.  Minor releases/updates for the same version, I typcially will let upgrade, but only after shutting down the services and app, downloading the upgrade from my account and running it with the right click and "run as administrator" option.  I do all software upgrades this way if/when possible as upgrades can have their own set of problems and each system is maintained differently with different settings, different AV software, some with malware and just variables from different combinations of applications and upgrades over the years.  Agreed.

I removed ATI2016 completely, ran CCleaner and used the Acronis removal tool. Interestingly, when the system rebooted, there were lots of DOS windows with file not found in them. Ran the removal tool again and even though Task Manager showed no Acronis processes, the remover still ran. Odd.

Reinstalled ATI2016 and ran a small backup. Its file size was 256K and it opened quickly. Backed up my original folder, about 14 GB in size, and it still does the same thing...slow green ribbon.

All other old Acronis files open immediately, even 100 GB files.

Puzzling.

Legend
Comments: 15733

It sounds as if Windows Indexing is at work here and is building indexes for the new image file but already has done this for the older ones?

Beginner

Steve Smith wrote:

It sounds as if Windows Indexing is at work here and is building indexes for the new image file but already has done this for the older ones?

I thought that might be happening, but if you try to view the tib file different times, it does the same green ribbon thing...only on the new tib file. Puzzling.

Forum Hero

Perhaps the cleanup tool is not cleaning up all user settings - this is a new one that I will test on my machine for my own issue

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/117232#comment-359062

Note that some settings also appear to be local to the user account in "app data", but most of the work-a-rounds and fixes I've foudn to work are resolved in the C:\programdata\Acronis directory somewhere.

Wonder if applying the fix in the above link might help at all in your case either?

Also, what happens if you try to "mount" the .tib instead of double clicking it?  Even though I currently have strange behavior double clicking a .tib, I can't mount it without issue and navigating it while mounted is pretty snappy.

Beginner

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

Perhaps the cleanup tool is not cleaning up all user settings - this is a new one that I will test on my machine for my own issue

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/117232#comment-359062

Note that some settings also appear to be local to the user account in "app data", but most of the work-a-rounds and fixes I've foudn to work are resolved in the C:\programdata\Acronis directory somewhere.

Wonder if applying the fix in the above link might help at all in your case either?  I'll try it.

Also, what happens if you try to "mount" the .tib instead of double clicking it?  Even though I currently have strange behavior double clicking a .tib, I can't mount it without issue and navigating it while mounted is pretty snappy.  These are folder backups...they will not mount.

Beginner

I did everything again...uninstalled ATI, used cleaner, deleted database files.

Ran CCleaner, cleaned registry.

Reinstalled ATI.

Older tib files open quickly.

The new one still takes a lot of time. When it does show files, the drive is hit about the same time.

To reiterate, double clkicking the file opens a blank explorer looking window and the delay starts. The tib files that open quickly seem to use different com surrogate values!

I monitored with Process Explorer and nabbed a bit of info when the window finally displayed a file(s). They were titled Com Surrogate.

Path:  C:\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe

Command LINE:  C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe /Processid:{AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}

Current Directory:  C:\Windows\System32\

Autostart Location:  HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\COMSysApp

Now when I open a tib file that doesn't pause, I get this:

Path:  C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dllhost.exe

Command Line:  C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe /Processid:{1EF75F33-893B-4E8F-9655-C3D602BA4897}

Current Directory:  C:\Windows\System32\

Autostart Location:  n/a

Any ideas out there?

Forum Hero

We're the older ones created from a 32-bit system or with the 32-bit version of the offline media?  If so, that might explain why they are opening with syswow64 dllhost.exe

Perhaps as a test...

Boot your reocvery media (USB or dvd).  Take a backup using the 32-bith method (launch in legacy mode for the backup so you can pick the 32 version, otherwise UEFI will only give you 64-bit).  

Go back into Windows and double click the .tib in Windows - what does procmon show being used for that one?  

Then go back and repeat the backup with the offline media with the 64-bit version of the boot media and repeat.  What does procmon show is being used for that one?

Beginner

Bobbo_3C0X1 wrote:

We're the older ones created from a 32-bit system or with the 32-bit version of the offline media?  If so, that might explain why they are opening with syswow64 dllhost.exe

Perhaps as a test...

Boot your reocvery media (USB or dvd).  Take a backup using the 32-bith method (launch in legacy mode for the backup so you can pick the 32 version, otherwise UEFI will only give you 64-bit).  

Go back into Windows and double click the .tib in Windows - what does procmon show being used for that one?  

Then go back and repeat the backup with the offline media with the 64-bit version of the boot media and repeat.  What does procmon show is being used for that one?

I was testing against two new files created with 2016 ATI. The second one that opened with SysWOW64 was made with the same 2016 ATI. I think I'm pretty tired of researching this. Thanks for all of your help.

Forum Hero

I'll bring this thread to the attention of the support engineers...

Frequent Poster
Comments: 550

FlaJunkie, thank you for the research. We will see if the same behavior reproduces in our labs and if it does, will pass it over to the development team.

Regards,

Slava

Beginner
Comments: 6

I am having the same problem

windows 10 acronis home 2016 v 6571

Is there any solution to this problem yet

Forum Hero

I don't know if this is a solution, but when I've had "funky" issues double clicking and opening a .tib, clearing out the .tib mount cache has helped.  It was originally reported as a fix for the "cannot locate the first volume in the backup" message that sometimes pops up, but I've foudn that it's helped with other double clicking .tib issues too.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/117232#comment-359062

Beginner
Comments: 1

I'm having this same issue, even when navigating the mounted drive. Recovering through the app is painfully slow and it comes back with errors. The only feature of Acronis that isn't completely useless for me on Windows 10 is the clone disk feature. 

Forum Hero

Josh, what version of Windows 10 are you using? Keep in mind that 2016 is three years old now and came out before current versions of Windows 10 and insider builds are not supported.  In most cases, people in the forum report that 2016 is working with Windows 10, but there are issues to consider..

such as if older versions of Acronis were ever installed prior to 2016 or not, and if they were, did they completely remove them from control panel and run the cleanup tool, reboot and then install 2016 "clean" using right-click and "run as administrator"?   

And if they did, are they using an insider build of Windows 10 or not.  And if not, we'll, what's the general health of the OS and hardware as there could be more going on under the hood in the Windows logs, or conflicts with things like antivirus programs, OS health, disk health, etc. 

We don't have any other info to go on other than you're not happy with the performance of 2016 on your system, which is understandable if it's not performing well.  But, there are a lot of reasons this could be, many directly outside of Acronis.  

For starters, I would remove 2016 from control panel, reboot and run the cleanup tool (and reboot again).  Then download the current version of 2016 from your account and right click and "run as administrator" when you launch the installer (even if you're logged in with an admin account already).  Set up a new backup and see if it performs better or not.  If not, then you may need to do some system log checking for clues, check available disk space, available memory, check the health of the disks (chkdsk /F), check for OS corruption (SFC /Scannow).