Skip to main content

Windows Server home user

Beginner
Comments: 2

I know it's not possible by default to install Acronis True Image 2016 on Windows Server but the price for the Windows Server backup isn't realistic for a home user to pay. So shouldn't it be possible to run the "Home" backup software on your "Home" server. I have a HP MicroServer with Windows Server 2012 R2 installed but don't have a backup of the C disk yet (which is just the OS on a SSD), I'd like to use Acronis backup to get a disk backup but it won't allow me to install Acronis True Image 2016 on the server. Instead you have to buy Business software which costs twice what I payed for the server. It's a simple home server for backups, files and downloads mainly but you can't use the Home backup software...

Is there a way to install Acronis True Image on my Server so I can use the same software (Acronis) for everything (desktop and server) or am I forced to go elsewhere since I won't pay over 500 dollars for backuping my server?

Regular Poster
Comments: 134

ATI 2016 isn't compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2. It is compatible with Windows Home Server 2011. Windows Server 2012 R2 is considered a business server OS. A lot of people switched to it when Microsoft discontinued Windows Home Server. I still run Windows Home Server 2011 in a VM. I even run Windows Server V1 as a second Server in a VM. I'm not familiar with Windows Server 2012 R2 but Windows Server 2011 has a built-in backup solution for the server. If you have Windows 8 Pro or Windows 10 Pro you could run your server in a VM and use ATI 2016 to backup everything. I would recommend shutting down the VM before backing it up.

Beginner

Thanks for your reply.

Windows Server is running 24/7 on a HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8, I rather keep it like this since the server isn't that fast and the space for the OS is quite limited on the SSD. Windows backup might be a option but I'd rather have a full disk backup in case of full failure. I hope Acronis will change this in the future since I'd like to use this software for everything and not just my desktop.

Forum Hero
Comments: 5991
mvp

KingHawk, you may want to reach out to Acronis customer service to check on this... Snap Deploy 5 may do what you need if you're willing to take offline backups instead of online ones.  

As I understand the Snap Deploy 5 license model (and I may be wrong), you only need 1 server deployment license for each system you want to deploy an image to (currently $119 for a single server system with unlimited deployments).  However, as part of the Snap Deploy package, you get the ability to use the Snap Deploy offline bootable recovery media which should works on both Workstation and Server OS and also includes Snap Deploy Image Creator for taking an image of your Server whenever you need it (again though, offline).

If that's the case, it might do what you need as long as you're willing to take offline backups, but may not be an option if the server is required to run 24/7. 

Regular Poster
Comments: 134

The Windows Backup is a full disk backup. I've attached a link to a video on how to configure it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CraR01ya9ds

Beginner

Thanks for your replies this helps a lot!