Skip to main content

Acronis 2017 Add existing backup

Beginner
Comments: 7

i have a number of existing backup tasks running that I do not want to disturb.

I have an old backup (FULL-Files and Folders) that was originally from an an existing backup task location.  It's now located in a unique folder set aside for this purpose.

I'd like to use "Add existing backup" to inspects and possibly restore files from this old full tib chain.

Unfortunately Acronix insists on using its database when "adding existing backup" and either tries to pull tib files from the original location or simply doesn't add the old backup to the list since it thinks the backup I'm adding already exists in my existing backup tasks.

Without jeopardizing any of my existing backup tasks, how do I load the old full tib chain for inspection.

Forum Hero
Comments: 9258
mvp

Welcome to these User Forums.

If all you are wanting to do is to browse the content of your old backup image files, then there is no need to add this/these to your ATI GUI panel using the add existing file option.

Assuming that ATI is installed correctly on this computer, open Windows Explorer and navigate to where the backup .TIB file(s) are stored, then simply double-click on any backup file to see its contents.  You can also use normal Windows Copy & Paste commands to restore any files or folders from the image file without having to go through the GUI recovery options.

In reply to by Steve Smith

Beginner

Can this be done via the GUI?

Forum Hero
mvp

Yes provided that the backup image name is unique to give the added task a different name to any of your existing tasks. 

The option is at the bottom of the GUI to the right of the 'add new backup ' one. Click on the V to see it. 

Beginner

I'm not sure what you're suggesting.   I've tried to rename the backup tib files but Acronis continues to use tib internals and so it's extremely frustrating.

Acronis should allow the loading and inspection of a full backup chain from any location and any backup image name.  This should be possible independent of any existing task database.

Is there no way of simply telling Acronis that it should not confuse the backup with any existing database???

Peter

Forum Hero
mvp

Peter, sorry but I am not sure what you are trying to do here?

When you say that you've tried to rename the backup tib files but Acronis continues to use tib internals - what does this mean?

How are you trying to rename the backup tib files?  For the files that are from old backups, any renaming would need to be done via Windows Explorer and all files for the same backup chain would need to be renamed exactly the same, and as I said previously, the new name should not match with the name used by any existing task in the ATI GUI if you intend to use the 'Add existing backup' option to bring it into the GUI.

The issue with adding existing backups into the GUI is that this will bring the Acronis Database into play because ATI uses this to track backup history.

If you just want to browse your old backup files, then you can do this easily and simply in Windows Explorer by double-clicking on any .TIB file which will open the backup and allow you to browse the contents and to copy / paste any files or folders from it as you would do for a normal drive or USB stick etc.

Beginner

Thanks for the update.

Yes I'm aware that I can inspect tibs using Windows but I really need to go further.  I have many tib chains that I want to operate on and need to use the full features of Acronis in the process.  I simply want to be able to operate on any tib chain from any location without Acronis insisting on using it's internal database.  However, as you might imagine, this should be possible without in ANY way impacting my existing periodic backups.

So to clarify...

1. I have a backup task (Files and folders) called "DRIVE D".  This is creating differential backups each night with fulls every 7 days.  I do NOT want to impact this backup in any way.

2. I have pulled down from the cloud an old "DRIVE D" tib chain (full and diffs) into a folder (I'll call it AB for Acronis backup) on my system.  These tibs were generated some time ago using a task also called "DRIVE D".

3. I have renamed all the fulls and diffs in the folder AB from "Drive D_full_b2_s1_v1.tib" etc to "DriveX D_b2_s1_v1.tib" etc.

4. When I use "Add existing backup" in Acronis using the target folder AB, despite the fact that the tib names have changed, Acronis insists on recognising this backup as being taken originally (back in the depths of time) from the same location as my existing "DRIVE D" task and does not create a new "additional" task that may be used to operate on the old (and renamed) "DRIVE D".

5. Hence I'm now in the situation where I can't use Acronis to operate on any old backups that may just happen to coincide with an existing backup task.  This is a MAJOR shortcoming of Acronis.  You should be able to use "Add existing backup" with some flag that ignores ANY existing backup task and allows operation on a perfectly valid tib chain.

I do appreciate your feedback since I've almost given up on Acronis support.

Peter

Forum Hero
mvp

Peter, have you tried running a Validation for the current Drive D task in the ATI GUI panel? If not, try doing this, then see if it comes up with messages about missing files because you have renamed the old files?

It is possible that ATI has picked up the old backup files when you connected the drive that contained them, and if so, if you have 'automatic cleanup' rules set, it could also try to delete them if they meet the cleanup criteria.

Beginner

Steve,

The current "DRIVE D" task files haven't been touched.  The whole idea is to not disrupt in any way the existing "DRIVE D" task.

All that's been done is to pull an old tib chain from a Cloud location, put them into a new folder and rename them in this folder to try to get around the Acronis database issues.

The current "DRIVE D" task files are located in an FTP NAS while the old backups tibs have been placed a drive on my computer.  So the files are found in completely different locations.  But because Acronis looks into the internals of the old tib files and determines that the backup looks like a current backup task (DRIVE D), it insists on using this task to try to perform validation or any form of inspect or restore.

"Add existing backup" should use the tib files at the location provided to perform work and not try to use it's internal database.

Peter 

Forum Hero
mvp

Peter, sorry but I am struggling with how to help further with this issue.  As just another user of the product, albeit with the MVP tag on my profile, I do not have any better access than you do to the internal workings of the product or any documentation about the same, which would help us better understand why the behaviour you are seeing is happening.

I know that you said previously that you have almost given up on Acronis support, but this is an instance where that would be the way to progress this issue further, i.e. to open a Support Case and get Acronis to explain this behaviour / provide a method of achieving what you are seeking to do here?

My own preferred method of handling Support Cases when I raise them, is to use the email method, so that I am not tied to responding to a live chat session for hours.  Email is slower but does allow a similar dialogue to this we are having in the forum topic, and allows for a better case trail to be followed and referred back to if needed etc.

Beginner

Steve,

Thanks. for your input.  I was hoping you were aware of this "feature" within Acronis. and had a work around.

I have been in conversation with Acronis for some time with video being taken of the issue and dumps taken.

I've given them a step by step process for reproducing the issue but at this point they refuse to perform these steps.

I've been asked to try Acronis 2018 but since no-one is prepared to reproduce the issue, no one can say whether the issue is resolved in this release.

All very frustrating and more importantly makes Acronis almost unfit for purpose if it can't restore an old backup that just happens to match an existing task.

Peter

Forum Hero
mvp

Peter, drop a private message to Gaidar about this forum topic and quote any support case numbers you have for it, ask him to review it for you.

Forum Star
Comments: 1169
mvp

Peter's quote: "I have many tib chains that I want to operate on and need to use the full features of Acronis in the process."

Peter, I am willing to help and try to duplicate your issue and see if I can find a solution.  I believe I understand your problem.  However, I am unaware of any "operations" that can be performed on an existing .tib chain.  My understanding is that files within a .tib chain cannot be altered or deleted.   Steve Smith...please confirm.

Regards,

FtrPilot

Forum Hero
mvp

Randy, in terms of 'operations' on any .tib chain, these are all read-only, so only recovery / restore operations are possible.  However, the issue that Peter is experiencing here is in how ATI handles old backup version chains being added to the ATI GUI when the task that created these chains is still an active task in the GUI.

In this thread, Peter has an active backup task for his Drive_D plus he has older backup files from this same task that he is wanting to bring back using 'Add existing backup' but which ATI will not recognise as a separate entry in the GUI task list, even after renaming the backup .tib chain files and locating them in a different folder path.

Peter, one thought that I don't think I have explored with you so far:  when you have used the option to 'Add existing backup' for your Drive_D old version chain files, have you looked at the Recovery points (Dates / Times) shown in the drop down list offered to see if there are additional recovery points now listed that were not present before doing the add?

Beginner

Thanks guys.

To clarify I simply want to recover/restore.

Steve,  I'll check to see if new backup chain dates have been added to the exist Drive D task.  If this is the case then it does raise many new questions/concerns.

Forum Star
Comments: 1169
mvp

Steve...I believe I understand Peter's issue...I am just trying to understand what "operation" he is trying to perform on the renamed tib files.

Peter...if you are trying to validate the renamed tib files, you can do that by booting from rescue media, select the tib file you want to validate as if you were going to restore the tib file.  Then right click and it will bring up a menu to validate the tib file.  You can recover individual files while booted under rescue media.  Or you can recover individual files while booted normally under Windows by using Windows explorer.

If there is some other "operation" you are trying to perform, please let me know and I will see what I can do.

Regards,

FtrPilot

Beginner

Randy,

I simply want to be able to view and restore individual files from past backups.  Viewing/restoring should be possible by simply "loading" a valid backup tib chain from the Acronis standard GUI.  It should not require "booting from rescue media".  It should not require loading from a third party product i.e. Windows explorer.

It would appear that the "Adding from existing backup" is broken.

If Acronis doesn't allow the "loading" of a valid backup tib chain through standard GUI from any location independent of any existing backup task then it would appear there is a serious shortcoming.

I was hoping that this may be "fixed" in subsequent offerings or products from Acronis.  Thanks for the feedback.

Peter