Acronis 2017 Backup with Changed Directory and Version Chain
I have a new external hard drive for my backups. I created two subdirectories on that drive, one for each of my hard drives. I right clicked on the Destination icon to do a Change Destination. I selected the Version Chain scheme for my backups and ran backups of both my drives. This created the initial full backup of my disks.
Today, I ran another backup of both disks and I should have had an incremental backup for both of them. But Acronis created full backups for both disks. I found the "ReadLogFIle" utility and the Log File said that Acronis could not find the initial backup for either disk as it looked in the Disk Root only, not in the Changed Destination. Here are the error messages:
7/26/2018 2:39:29 PM: Error 0x1e50023: The specified file does not exist: H:\OCZ-AGILITY3_full_b1_s1_v1.tib.
7/26/2018 2:39:30 PM: Error 0x40011: The specified file does not exist.
The file does exist, but it is in a folder on the H: drive. Is there a solution for this apparent error or must all backups be at the root of the external drive? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Wayne, welcome to these User Forums.
I suspect the missing file may be for your original backup drive before you added the new one and did the change destination for your task. Acronis keeps information about the files created for backup tasks in its internal database which includes information about the specific drive these were stored on.
I would recommend taking an alternative approach here for your new external backup drive.
One option is to use the 'Add existing backup' and select the latest full backup image file from your new drive / folder location, then reconfigure the new backup task that is added.
The other option would be to use the 'Clone settings' feature to create a duplicate of your old backup task(s) which will create a new task with the same name prefixed by (1) where you can then edit any of the configuration settings, including the destination. If using this option, you should ensure that the task is given a unique name to avoid being confused with any existing or previous task.
For both the above options, you should remove the existing backup task(s) from the ATI GUI, which will then remove the information from the database. You can leave the backup files created by the task(s) until you are comfortable about deleting them as being no longer needed.
Possibly "User Error". Somehow, both drive backups defaulted to the root. I changed them both back to the folders and ran another backup. This time, both drives now have _diff_ file created. I have no idea how the "Change Directory" selection disappeared.