Skip to main content

Acronis True Image 2017 - Laptop Cloning and SID Conflicts

Thread needs solution
Beginner
Comments: 2

Hello Team, 

We would require your support in order to know further on Laptop cloning using Acronis True Image 2017 bootable media.

We would like to get clarity in below points, 

1. We would need to clone the entire Hardisk which will be installed  with our Company Softwares, Microsoft SQL Server instances -> please let me know if there are any kind of issues ?

2. What are the possible issues that will come across if are using the base laptop and cloned copy of the base laptop on the same network subnet ?

3. Is there were any sort of system SID conflicts and that will eventually start system crashes or BSOD ?

4. May I know is there any sort of license requirement for using laptop cloning using Acronis True Image 2017 Bootable ISO ? if yes, please let me know the details of license cost ?

Thanks and Regards, 

Sudheesh Sudhakaran

0 Users found this helpful
Legend
Comments: 28774

Sudheesh Sudhakaran wrote:

We would require your support in order to know further on Laptop cloning using Acronis True Image 2017 bootable media.

We would like to get clarity in below points, 

1. We would need to clone the entire Hardisk which will be installed  with our Company Softwares, Microsoft SQL Server instances -> please let me know if there are any kind of issues ?

2. What are the possible issues that will come across if are using the base laptop and cloned copy of the base laptop on the same network subnet ?

3. Is there were any sort of system SID conflicts and that will eventually start system crashes or BSOD ?

4. May I know is there any sort of license requirement for using laptop cloning using Acronis True Image 2017 Bootable ISO ? if yes, please let me know the details of license cost ?

Welcome to these user forums - we are just the user community and not a part of Acronis or of their sales team etc.

To try to answer your questions / points:

1. Cloning works at a whole disk level, and when doing cloning with the Acronis bootable media, everything on the disk is copied 'as is'.
  2. If you are intending to clone drives that will be used in different laptops, then you will need to satisfy any OS licensing for those laptops, and if there are any differences in the hardware involved, then you may also need to use Acronis Universal Restore to prepare the drives in those laptops.
  3. There is no way of knowing an answer to this question.
  4. A license is required to use the Acronis True Image 2017 bootable ISO otherwise this will be limited as a Trial version.  See KB 2768: Trial version limitations of Acronis products.  You will need to contact Acronis Sales for details of license cost.
    Note: if you are intending on cloning large numbers of laptops within a business environment then you should speak to Acronis Sales about more suitable business products designed for this purpose rather than using this home user product.

Beginner

Hello Stev, 

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback, we are in the process of testing Acronis True Image 2017 like as shown below, 

Primary or Base laptop:

Make: Dell

Model:Latitude E5570

HDD: 500GB HDD

Processor: Core i7

Memry: 16GB

Windows 7 Pro x64 OEM License

Secondar or  which is using as a cloned copy of primary laptop:

Make: Dell

Model:Latitude E5570

HDD: 500GB HDD

Processor: Core i7

Memry: 16GB

Windows 7 Pro x64 OEM License

The above mentioned Primary Laptop will be in installed with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express Edition,  IIS Configured, our Custom Applications.

We will test the same and will post if we are coming across any system level issues.

Once again thanks a lot for your support!

Thanks and Regards, 

Sudheesh Sudhakaran

Legend
Comments: 28774

Sudheesh, you may wish to look at the Acronis Snap Deploy business product for a solution designed for image deployment.

Forum Hero
Comments: 8346

In addition to being able to automate the deployment process, Snap Deploy also has the ability to generalize the SID and hardware drivers during the deployment process.  True Image Home cannot generalize the SID and Universal restore is a secondary, manual tool to generalize the hardware drivers when restoring an image to a different computer.  Give technical support a direct "chat" and they can walk you through the differences to help you pick the best solution.  

True Image Home is good for backing up a computer on a regular basis through Windows and one-off system restores.

Snap Deploy is good for large deployments (lots of them over time), especially when using different hardware, but is not a backup solution for the local machines

Acronis Backup 12 is designed to encompass both capabilites of True Image Home and Snap Deploy (to an extent).  I have not used Backup 12 very much though so am not the one to give advice about it.

Beginner

Hello Stev/Bobbo, 

Thanks a lot for suggesting "Snap Deploy" for our infrastructure imaging needs. 

As you said, we will so glad that "Snap Deploy" will generalize the SID,  then I think it would be more working for our case,

I will further check with your sales/support team for a full length demo and will check how it works for our requirements(with custom SQL Database instances and applications that developed)

Thanks and Regards, 

Sudheesh Sudhakaran